Best Premium Fuel

topsecret

Reaction score
In one of my cars I had a knock sensor that I could monitor, shell v power had the lowest knock reading out petro can, esso, husky (94) and of course shell, and I have been told by pretty much every tuner that v power is the way to go for pump gas!

t-bomb

Reaction score
I run shell with my "non-ethenol" fuel wire plugged in as per Polaris Owners Manual.

If you are unsure if the fuel has ethenol (because everybody will argue)

Go purchse this and check for your self. I got one at my local briggs dealer for like 15 bucks. I guess you could make your own with a graduated cylinder you stole from your high school chem lab.

Amazon.com: Ethanol Test Kit. Measures the Amount of Alcohol in the Gas You Buy (Easy to Use) No Chemicals to Buy. Protect Your Engine: Automotive

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
everyone seems to like shell but I also see they are all from alberta! when you come to BC...It would have to be chevron 94! I to had a knock gauge in my Grand National and used this fuel all the time on low boost! I heard shell has ethonal but 94 chevron does not!

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
I've used both Chevron 94 and Shell 91 in my sled and my Harley and found that they both run and perform better on the Shell fuel. All my sledding is done in BC. Just my 2 cents. And yes where there is Ethanol there is water, especially where drastic temperature fluctuations occur. I guess that was 4 cents.

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
who provides safeway with there fuel??? i have always used there premium fuel and never had any problems...:twocents::beer:

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
who provides safeway with there fuel??? i have always used there premium fuel and never had any problems...:twocents::beer:

The majority of the "Independants" buy their fuel from Fuel Brokers. Someone like Safeway could get their fuel from any of the large refineries. Each load could be different.

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The majority of the "Independants" buy their fuel from Fuel Brokers. Someone like Safeway could get their fuel from any of the large refineries. Each load could be different.

ok thanks so you never know what your getting, hmmm now what do i do...

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
everyone seems to like shell but I also see they are all from alberta! when you come to BC...It would have to be chevron 94! I to had a knock gauge in my Grand National and used this fuel all the time on low boost! I heard shell has ethonal but 94 chevron does not!

Thats why i bring gas with me when i head to the hills.

tonykunz

Reaction score
I've always used the husky blend of fuel in my 2 polaris. I notice that they sold 90 octane fuel for the price of 87 and got suckered into thinking that was better than going to shell and buying 91 octane for 20 cents more a litre. I've never had any problems with my sleds running (Other than forgetting the fuel cutoff lever and tearing half my carbs apart trying to figure why it won't start)

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess one could bring their own gas, but when I'm in a riding area, such as McBride or Blue River, I like to try to buy their gas if I can. I like to leave some money in the community if possible. If though, the gas station in town only had ethanol fuel for their premium, I'd have to pass on that as I don't want to run ethanol in my sled. I've heard conflicting stories that the Husky in McBride has ethanol in their premium fuel, and does NOT have ethanol in their premium fuel? It would seem that ALL Husky premium has ethanol doesn't it? Is there a station in McBride or Blue River that definitely does not have ethanol in their premium gas?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK first off, 100 LL or race gas is not "premium" fuel, so if you are commenting about where has the best premium, don't say "my local airport".

I have used Shell, Petro-Can, and Esso in my sleds for years, mixing between tanks etc, and never had an issue.

mcrc

Reaction score
Someone's gotta know this for sure. I think Husky and Mohawk has 10% ethanol and Shell does not. I was also told ethanol is bad. In fact Polaris has a modified fuel map for ethanol blended and poor quality fuels:confused:.

Shell, Currently does not use any ethanol. Husky does. Thanks to climate change hopla all producers will be forced to blend ethanol in their regular fuel starting Jan 1. (5% renewable fuel government policy). Ethanol will not be blended in Premium at Shell.

cooper

Reaction score
the free kind is best.but i called MR Rs they said not to use shell any more cause of the nitrogen in it so i dont know but esso hightest hasnt blown up my Xp yet.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shell, Currently does not use any ethanol. Husky does. Thanks to climate change hopla all producers will be forced to blend ethanol in their regular fuel starting Jan 1. (5% renewable fuel government policy). Ethanol will not be blended in Premium at Shell.

here is what Shell told me about their fuel.

Gasoline bronze (87 octane) contains up to 10% by volume ethanol; Gasoline silver (89 octane) contains up to 5% by volume ethanol; and Gasoline premium (91 octane) contains NO ethanol.

Best regards,

Thierry Wamba
Shell Lubricants -Technical Help Desk
Toll Free Tel.#: 1-800-661-1771
Email: thierry.tsague-wamba@shell.com
Internet: The Shell global homepage - Global

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here is what Shell told me about their fuel.

Gasoline bronze (87 octane) contains up to 10% by volume ethanol; Gasoline silver (89 octane) contains up to 5% by volume ethanol; and Gasoline premium (91 octane) contains NO ethanol.

Best regards,

Thierry Wamba
Shell Lubricants -Technical Help Desk
Toll Free Tel.#: 1-800-661-1771
Email: thierry.tsague-wamba@shell.com
Internet: The Shell global homepage - Global

thanx pipes for that info seems like this subject gets beat to death.....i have found out here in kamloops that most fuel outlets get their fuel from same bulk plant and that all 87 and 89 octane contains a 5 to 10 percent ethenol blend while the 91 does not contain any....each company adds their own additives at the bulk plant....i also emailed husky corporate office and inquired about the bc marked premium.......was stated that it is 91 octane and contains no ethonol...............so in bc most 91 octane should be ethonol free

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the free kind is best.but i called MR Rs they said not to use shell any more cause of the nitrogen in it so i dont know but esso hightest hasnt blown up my Xp yet.

Atmospheric air is 78% Nitrogen by volume - if people are concerned about nitrogen in their engine, they should stop running their motor altogether.

Ran Shell "nitrogen" fuels in my race gas sled last year - no issues and absolutely no difference on the A/F gauge or the EGT's. Lots of people I know had the same experience, no change. Shell has "overhyped" the nitrogen thing, the regulators require a certain % of detergents in the fuel and this is Shell's way of keeping their production cost low while not passing the savings onto the consumer. I did some research on this when these fuels first came out, the "nitrogen enriching" is part of an "Active Cleaning Molecule", which to me, means they are using a patented detergent that has a higher percentage of nitrogen (compared to other manufacturers) and so they make this claim. I really don't think there is that much nitrogen in the fuel, and it is just a marketing gimic - I don't think Shell added any more nitrogen to their fuel than the atmosphere does to my motor on each intake stroke.

Top Bottom