Best places to Quad and Camp in BC

aliengodd

Reaction score
Hi there we are heading out for a 10 day vacation with the family in August. We will be tent camping and bring our quad. We would to like to be close to a lake for our son. We prefer more secluded areas as apposed to tourist areas. We were thinking Okanogan or Golden but will go anywhere. Any recommendations much appreciated. Thanks!

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Valemount. A lot closer to Edmonton than the Okanagan or Golden (4.5 hours from west City Limits) and you can camp on a 120 mile long lake with direct access to many quad trails. Griffin Sawmill, Yellowjacket, Horse Creek are all secluded campgrounds on the lakefront on the east side of Kinbasket Lake about 20 km. from Valemount. From there you can quad a number of trails from the campground including Yellowjacket, Ptarmigan Creek, Hugh Allen Creek as well as the main forestry road on that side of the lake. A bunch of other quad trails you can pull your quad to that are close by such as Canoe Mountain, west Kinbasket Lake Forestry Road, Clemina Creek. Can also head up McBride way for a day with Small River, Dore River and Holmes River 45 minutes or less from Valemount.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2X the Valemount area, And the Holmes River/Chalco Creek. There is a small Camp Site just North of Hwy 16 on the East side of the Holmes River, with a right turn (to the North) befor the Bridge. The campsite is along the river, and there is a crapper.

Bruce.

inallout

Reaction score
I have to agree with these guys valemount is great. The canoe summit is amazing and takes you to over 8000' feet. If you want i have the gps tracks for that trail and a few others. Or if you are looking to go a little further south in the okanogan Trout lake/Duncan lake area is some of the best riding i've ever done, with tons of trails and campgrounds or bush camping.

aliengodd

Reaction score
Thanks for the input..have been to Kinbasket Lake Resort and it was beautiful. Owner was a grumpy, nosy, old fart so would not go back to that camping area but Valemount sounds great! Thanks!

aliengodd

Reaction score
I have to agree with these guys valemount is great. The canoe summit is amazing and takes you to over 8000' feet. If you want i have the gps tracks for that trail and a few others. Or if you are looking to go a little further south in the okanogan Trout lake/Duncan lake area is some of the best riding i've ever done, with tons of trails and campgrounds or bush camping.
Thanks for the offer, that would be awesome if I could get the tracks for those trails. Do you know the names of the campgrounds in this area? We usually bush camp for weekends trips but would be a little ripe after 11 days.

aliengodd

Reaction score
I just checked out Trout Lake and this is the place I want to go. Do you know the names of any campgrounds where we can ride up to our campsite and that is close to swimming area?

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Camp right on the beach at trout lake, used to be by donation. Make sure you have about 2 weeks available for this area, you'll never run out of good riding. :)

inallout

Reaction score
Hey there sorry i havent gotten back to you in a few days. Right in the little community of Trout Lake on the north side of the lake is a campground by the beach near the windsor hotel. You can ride right out of the campground at this spot to some amazing trails. There are an endless amount of trails and many have a considerable amount of time in the alpine. My favourite trail is the american creek trail on the south end of the lake. You wont be able to ride there from the campground but its more then worth the trouble. If you have any more questions let me know

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
P9300004.jpg P9300004.jpg P9300017.jpg

Sorry for the double photos. This is the Notch @ Healy Creek - 4 mi South of the bottom end of Trout Lake

aliengodd

Reaction score
Nice!! Now I just have to find a nice place to camp with showers and a lake to swim in for my little guy.

PonyboyCurtis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to camp at the Lardeu end of the lake by the bridge with my family hunting years ago. Some of the best camping I remember when I was a kid! My old man knew the owner of the cabin by the bridge and we would stay in it. You could watch the gerard rainbow spawning from the bridge, and then they built a platform to watch from also. Huge buggers!

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to camp at the Lardeu end of the lake by the bridge with my family hunting years ago. Some of the best camping I remember when I was a kid! My old man knew the owner of the cabin by the bridge and we would stay in it. You could watch the gerard rainbow spawning from the bridge, and then they built a platform to watch from also. Huge buggers!

A buddy stayed in that cabin (log cabin on the north side of the river) when we were up there a few years ago, looked abondoned but still liveable except for the rat that ran across his sleeping bad in the middle of the night! :D

skidoo13

Reaction score
Hi inallout,

Do you have any info/suggestions to share about Trout/Duncan Lake? Like trail maps or where to camp in the bush

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The general store at trout lake has showers and a laundry room last time my wife and I were there fall of 2011. She charged $5 a head for my wife and I and $2 i think for the kids to shower. And we also got fresh water to top up the trailer a few times and she just asked for a donation. Great area to go!!!! We love it. It was actually our honey moon fall of 2007! We are planning to return this August again and get a good 10 days at the beach and ride everywhere we can again.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure looks nice

It definitely is! These are from last summer - early August. If we had waited a couple of weeks we could have rode the quads to the top of Healy but had to walk up past the Wagner to see the glacier.

Attachments

• 107_6966 (Medium).JPG
    107_6966 (Medium).JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 312
  • 107_6936 (Medium).JPG
    107_6936 (Medium).JPG
    109 KB · Views: 293
  • 107_6927 (Medium).JPG
    107_6927 (Medium).JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 295
  • 107_6952 (Medium).JPG
    107_6952 (Medium).JPG