Best Options for Cross Over Lake-River Boat

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine is looking at getting a jet boat for mostly Lakes with minor use on larger rivers and likely not much shallow water. I suspect Arrow Lake in BC would be his primary area up to Revelstoke.

What would be a good boat? I think his budget would be up to $150,000.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
new or used?

used I’d look for an old Sabre they had a 16 degree hull which lends itself to a better ride for lake use but would also be aok on larger rivers.

new any of the main manufacturers I suppose bratt, outlaw, coyote, firefish etc. tell them what you want they are have lots of expertise to set a person in right direction

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only issue is the Alberta based manufacturers have mostly went to thick 8 degree hills with lots of stringers and full uhmw. Great for running skinny water, not so much for bouncing across a choppy lake at full speed.

Something like an Outlaw Clearwater or Brattjet Mad Dog might do the trick. I'm not sure does Firefish even build a 12 degree anymore?

Otherwise a guy could look at Thunderjet or Custom Weld, but the fit and finish isn't the same from the boats I've seen.

Really I think he'd be looking for a boat similar to what's run on the coast in the whitewater on big rivers, not the shallow water boats common to Alberta.

phatboy2007

Reaction score
Firefish, Outlaw, and Bratt Jett will build you pretty much whatever you want if you get them to build one for you. Outlaw is more familiar with a 16 deg bottom style of Jet boat as they have built lots in the past (i.e older Eagle sabre and their Eagle sport models). Finding an already built NEW boat that is more than a 12 deg from one of these companies will be hard as they do seem to spec them lower than a 12 deg bottom.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If a guy is wanting new, and a crossover type boat it would likely be a custom build.

The boat builders are still pretty busy and I wound think a guy should get something ordered chicken Looie if he wanted it for summer 2024. Pretty sure Outlaw, and Firefish are booked for 2023. Not sure about Bratt or Coyote. See the add for an older sabre below for reference.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All depends in budget. New or used. 8deg not good on lakes. 12 would be ok on lake and still do good on rivers. If the budget is low look for a used Kingfisher Falcon or something similar. Cheap boats and work very well. Getting cheaper because of the sport jet. But they’re good motors and will last a long time if treated good. Obviously a v8 will be better more power but over twice the money for a comparable boat. For a lake boat I think fire fish is out as they only do 8 degrees and very few 10’s. Bratt and outlaw do others. As for fibre glass boats you’d be crazy to take your family up the river.

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He definitely would use it on the mainly lakes 90% of the time and would like to hit larger rivers and not big water rapids. More of meandering of larger flat rivers similar to lower Kootenay below Canal Flats for example.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He definitely would use it on the mainly lakes 90% of the time and would like to hit larger rivers and not big water rapids. More of meandering of larger flat rivers similar to lower Kootenay below Canal Flats for example.

Haven’t been to far below canal flats but that area a jet boat that’s good in there won’t be good for a lake lol.

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven’t been to far below canal flats but that area a jet boat that’s good in there won’t be good for a lake lol.

I’ve taken out lake jet boat to Palliser above Canal Flats at higher water not to bad but lower water not so much. Did it once and never again 😂

Kootenay River a few km downstream of Canal Flats is doable most of the summer season with any jet boat.

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
F28C80C4-E8E4-4AE6-BD52-51C7C4B91EF4.png

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That 17 foot Eagle is a fun boat and I take that most places mini’s go so long as it’s moving 😝. The 21 footer is mainly on the Lake or larger Kootenay River Sections.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve taken out lake jet boat to Palliser above Canal Flats at higher water not to bad but lower water not so much. Did it once and never again

Kootenay River a few km downstream of Canal Flats is doable most of the summer season with any jet boat.

Up stream was pretty easy easy was nothing hard. But was pretty high I think only been there once. Went up the Palliser a bit was interesting lol. Down was fun lots of channels and had fun. But we’re looking to run channels so didn’t see the main channel much. So probably is easy if you just want to cruise.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does Firefish no longer make a 12 deg boat if asked to?

They’re trying to get out of the custom boats. Trying to just stream line a couple of models and that’s it. But they might but you’ll probably pay more and wait longer.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are available, I went that rout myself with a Washington built boat NorthWest Jet boats.
They build several models including what your looking for.
Mine has a 14deg variable hall, I use it in rivers large or small, like Fraser and Thompson, it will get through ankle deep water on step with no issues and great on large lakes like Okanagan, Shuswap.
I've owned this boat since 2009 new and it is extremely versatile, we even take it to Vancouver Island fishing and never had an issue doing so.
Good luck on your search, I may be interested in selling mine.

phatboy2007

Reaction score
They’re trying to get out of the custom boats. Trying to just stream line a couple of models and that’s it. But they might but you’ll probably pay more and wait longer.
Ahh ok. Been a while since I chatted with them. Had my boat custom built in 17', guess I will have to keep it for a little longer lol.

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Anything else he should know or just call a dealer.

He lives in Vernon and Kingfisher fabricates there but I don’t see many of them around here and not sure how high end they fabricate.

Top Bottom