Best of both worlds?!

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where would you buy a house in bc? I'm looking into the idea of buying a new house, workin up in fort Mac, and I'm just wondering what you guys would do. Something somewhere that isnt jammed up in a caldesac in a city, but still close to a main city, closest to some of the best snowmobiling terrain for the winter times and near or on a lake for the summer time. Nothing extraordinarily expensive but comfortable. Close to an airport. Where would you guys buy?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Valemount sounds about perfect for you. Kinbasket lake is absolutely stunning in the summer for fishing and sightseeing.not to mention the hundreds of rivers and alpine lakes. Quadding in the area is also amazing. We all know it has the best sledding from november until june. The houses and land are DIRT cheap. Lots of nice fully serviced acreage lots available. Not really "close" to major centers but only 3hrs to kamloops 3 hrs to prince george and 5 hours to edmonton. All with major airports. Only an hour from mcbride and blue river. Over 50 areas to choose from for sledding between the 3 towns.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Valemount sounds about perfect for you. Kinbasket lake is absolutely stunning in the summer for fishing and sightseeing.not to mention the hundreds of rivers and alpine lakes. Quadding in the area is also amazing. We all know it has the best sledding from november until june. The houses and land are DIRT cheap. Lots of nice fully serviced acreage lots available. Not really "close" to major centers but only 3hrs to kamloops 3 hrs to prince george and 5 hours to edmonton. All with major airports. Only an hour from mcbride and blue river. Over 50 areas to choose from for sledding between the 3 towns.

Curtis has taught you well Grasshopper

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say in the area between Kamloops, Salmon Arm, and Kelowna. There are many small towns with more affordable homes than right in the cities such as Chase, Sicamous, Enderby, and Armstrong. There a ton of areas to sled in the winter and beautiful summers. Price is not rock bottom however.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am on the island and work on fort Mac. Some good sledding on island and only a ferry ride away of whistler and Squamish. I am 15 mon for the airport I use to get to work every couple of weeks

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would check out the Shuswap area. Great recreational area for summer and winter sports. Kelowna and Kamloops are both fairly close. I live in Kamloops and can be at my trailer on Shuswap Lake in 1 hr. I can also be in Sicamous sledding in just over an hr

justpinit

Reaction score
I did the Ft Mac to Kelowna commute back in the early 90's. Kelowna is too expensive for most to move to. I grew up in K-town, so of course my favorite, but have always thought that the Sicamous area has the best combo of wicked sled area's and primo lakes.

In the spring and early summer, you can come out of the A&W in Sicamous, look at Hwy 1, and decide what you want to do......on the right is Owl's Head, on the left is Shuswap Lk. Both are literally 2 mins to each parking lot.

Tough decision sometimes!

mllake.jpg

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got back from sledding in Radium/ Invermier area and I liked it there. Golden and Revy and lots of other riding areas are close. But that being said I like Valemount area to.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ahhhh maxwell, I love valemount, and I agree with ya, it has maybe the best sledding areas, but it's too far of a commute still from the airport and I wouldn't want my woman having to travel too far to pick me up, it's just a hassle. I'd like to be somewhere around an hour away, I've always loved the sicamous area and salmon arm, but I've never been anywheres else besides that, which is why I asked for some opinions.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did the Ft Mac to Kelowna commute back in the early 90's. Kelowna is too expensive for most to move to. I grew up in K-town, so of course my favorite, but have always thought that the Sicamous area has the best combo of wicked sled area's and primo lakes.

In the spring and early summer, you can come out of the A&W in Sicamous, look at Hwy 1, and decide what you want to do......on the right is Owl's Head, on the left is Shuswap Lk. Both are literally 2 mins to each parking lot.

Tough decision sometimes!

mllake.jpg

Yeah it's proving to be a hard choice that's for sure!! I'm just sick of living in this town. It sucks having to live somewhere that you absolutely don't want to live at..

justpinit

Reaction score
There was a reason I called it Ft MacHell.......and pinned it for the Okanagan every time I had more than 3 days off:beer:

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a reason I called it Ft MacHell.......and pinned it for the Okanagan every time I had more than 3 days off:beer:

Yeah, and u know just as well as I do then that days off are almost impossible to come by here unless you're a fly in fly out guy. I can't stand city life, this isn't even much of a city but it's more then I wanna be in lol.....

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We live in Prince George- I grew up here and swore I would never come back, but life is funny that way and here we are!! We live 10mins out of town on a quiet and gorgeous 5 acre parcel. The town has plenty going on education, recreation and employment wise. With a University, College and Med School, PG has a very diverse population and many opportunities.

Out my back door are endless trails leading to lakes and mountains. Today we drove to the MacGregor Mountains and sledded in powder so deep I was plowing it with my face :) And tonight we sleep in our own beds...

One hour south is sledding in Barkerville. Powder King/Pine Pass to the North, Smithers to the west, Torpy, McBride, and Valemount to the east... camping is everywhere... Lululemon is 10 minutes away... Airport is 20 mins :)

Housing is relatively cheap.

PG is not an obvious choice at first, but it sure makes sense!!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I made a move, it would be Sicamous, or salmon arm.

The nicest lakes that are warm, best snow for skiing and sledding, downhill mountainbiking, Kelowna is close by, and it's nice and warm in the summer.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We live in Prince George- I grew up here and swore I would never come back, but life is funny that way and here we are!! We live 10mins out of town on a quiet and gorgeous 5 acre parcel. The town has plenty going on education, recreation and employment wise. With a University, College and Med School, PG has a very diverse population and many opportunities.

Out my back door are endless trails leading to lakes and mountains. Today we drove to the MacGregor Mountains and sledded in powder so deep I was plowing it with my face :) And tonight we sleep in our own beds...

One hour south is sledding in Barkerville. Powder King/Pine Pass to the North, Smithers to the west, Torpy, McBride, and Valemount to the east... camping is everywhere... Lululemon is 10 minutes away... Airport is 20 mins :)

Housing is relatively cheap.

PG is not an obvious choice at first, but it sure makes sense!!
I grew up in Prince George and there are a lot of good things about it. However i would never have been able to live in town as the air quality and crime are pretty bad. That and since moving south I cannot believe how much better the summer weather is down here, I do not miss PG weather. Your dollar goes a long way for housing in PG though, farther than I have seen in any other BC city of comparable size.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never lived downtown, so air quality was never an issue... Growing up or now. As long as you dont live in the bowl area, it really isn't an issue. Crime wise: like anywhere else you lock up and look after your stuff. I had alot more incidents living in Edmonton than I have ever had in PG. As for weather: I agree- we need more sunny days! But I am a huge fan of winter, and we get plenty of that :)

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too used to live in PG, my issue is that the airport fly's to Vancouver, and then you make your connection to the world. Yes I realize CMA fly's to Ft. St John, and a few other places, but the reality of it is, if you are flying on a monthly basis to and from ft.mac making that extra leg to Vancouver, becomes very old very quick.

My vote would have to be Lake Country.

Last edited:

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like several have said it is tough to beat the Shuswap/Okanagan area. I live in Armstrong and have to fly out a fair bit. Kelowna airport is 45 min away. Hunters Range is 15 min, Sicamous 35 min and Revy is 1.5 hrs away. Lots of shopping in Vernon and Kelowna and you cant beat the diverse weather we have and warm lakes in the summer. Lake water temp is July/Aug/early Sept can get as high as 26 - 27 C. Lots of fishing, skiing also.

Also, housing prices in the N.Okanagan are more reasonable than kelowna area.

Good luck with your decision!

Top Bottom