best area to ride in mcbride for beginners

mod600IQ

Reaction score
just wondering the best area to ride for beginners in mcbride any imformation would be really appreciated

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bell mountain is the easiest,but the other 2 arent that bad either just go where you feel comfortable

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would recommend bell or lucielle for your first day atleast.. They are both fun area's.

Flygirl21

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mcbridebc.org
I highly recommend Bell mountain, Lucille is good but a few people seem to have problems with the butterfly if they don't know the area, I also HIGHLY SUGGEST talking with adrenaline tours for your first time out it is always nice to have a safe outing till you get to know the areas, Rod from adrenaline and his crew are a great bunch of guys that are the best tour guides around!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I dont understand why you guys send beginners to Bell,I took my wife to Bell and Lucielle and she liked Lucielle way better,I think Lucielle has a lot more flat stuff to play on and I cant imagine a begiinner having the nerve to drop into the butterfly,thats if they even found where to drop in.Just my opinion but you will enjoy Lucielle way more!Bell is really small if you dont know the area.
catmando!

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally, there's nothing wrong with the Renshaw for a beginner. There is a ton of area close to the cabin to ride that is flat and easily accessed. Other than the 28kms ride in I see no reason not to go there.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Both are good,my advice is not Bell!
catmando!

TrailCrusader

Reaction score
I highly recommend Bell mountain, Lucille is good but a few people seem to have problems with the butterfly if they don't know the area, I also HIGHLY SUGGEST talking with adrenaline tours for your first time out it is always nice to have a safe outing till you get to know the areas, Rod from adrenaline and his crew are a great bunch of guys that are the best tour guides around!

What is the Butterfly all about? Is it a technical ride? I am interested.

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's one of the bowls on Lucielle, there are two chutes you can drop down both can be a little intimidating because they are both on the steeper side, especially for the less experienced rider. There is also another bowl you can access thru Butterfly called Lava and thats another steep chute also. Higgins.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
went down into butterfly last year and it is very intimidating trying to get out. I definately would not recommend it for a beginner. If they happen to get down in there I don't see them getting out without some help.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just wondering the best area to ride for beginners in mcbride any imformation would be really appreciated

You've probabley already read everyone elses answers and made up you mind already but I gonna throw in my:twocents:worth. Back in 94 my first trip to the mountains we rode Bell first. Then we heard that they broke into the Renshaw so we went there the next day. Weather turned on us so we didn't get to see much of the Renshaw. Our third day we rode Lucielle. No cabins or groomers back then. We did a second trip and started at Bell again. When asked where the best area for beginners I would alway say Bell. Now Ive been riding in the mountains since 1994 and if asked now I would have to say the Renshaw. Reason being. Nice trail ride in very scenic. The area aound the cabin very good for beginners, provided no goes up the "Stupid Hill". Boulder Alley very easy to ride in. Once you get your legs, up to the lake south of Boulder Alley. East of the Cabin more flat terrain. Also on a suny day you can see where the big boys all go to play. That's not to say that you will see them, but that you will be able to se their tracks that lead to paradise.

Now that I've given you my :twocents:I should remind you that you must have beacons probes and shovels any time that you ride in the mountains. Take a avalanche course. and if you can, get someone familiar with the area to guide you.

safe sleddin'

Last edited:

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You've probabley already read everyone elses answers and made up you mind already but I gonna throw in my:twocents:worth. Back in 94 my first trip to the mountains we rode Bell first. Then we heard that they broke into the Renshaw so we went there the next day. Weather turned on us so we didn't get to see much of the Renshaw. Our third day we rode Lucielle. No cabins or groomers back then. We did a second trip and started at Bell again. When asked where the best area for beginners I would alway say Bell. Now Ive been riding in the mountains since 1994 and if asked now I would have to say the Renshaw. Reason being. Nice trail ride in very scenic. The area aound the cabin very good for beginners, provided no goes up the "Stupid Hill". Boulder Alley very easy to ride in. Once you get you legs up to the lake south of Boulder Alley. East of the Cabin more flat terrain. Also on a suny day you can see where the big boys all go to play. That's not to say that you wil see them, but that you will be able to se their tracks that lead to paradise.

Now that I've given you my :twocents:I should remind you that you must have beacons probes and shovels any time that you ride in the mountains. Take a avalanche course. and if you and get someone familiar with the area to guide you.

safe sleddin'
Hey Pipes I agree 10000000% as Renshaw being the place, like you said it has it all. Then on as sunny day you can explore. If I was a newby reading that post you would be GOD. Very well put RENSHAW all the way for first timers.

mod600IQ

Reaction score
Where can a guy rent AVALANCHE gear in mcbride and what are the conditions like right now

BrownEyes420

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree that Renshaw is fine for beginners too, just get them to let you know if they aren't comfortable and make enough stops for them on the way up, it's a long 28 k! And I totally agree about taking the avy course for new riders, it'll really opens eyes about the conditions around you and how to read the dangers! I can't wait to get back to McBride in three weeks :) ZacsTracs for avy courses :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom