Best allround mountain sled from Ski Doo.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 174 really shines in the tight trees when it's super deep. I am not into the wide open climbing but more technical tree lines. You don't need to carry the speed and have the ability to get on and off the throttle a without losing momentum. If you do start trenching you can chop the throttle and it floats right back up. I went from a 163xm and will be staying with the 174 now. It does leave a nasty trench for anyone following though.

Yes yes and yes! What still amazes me is its ability to climb walls from a dead stop at the bottom of a nasty creek bottom or something. Just blows my mind makes me smile and gets me out of alot of trouble

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^ I agree! I love my T3 -163 track and I'm 225lbs.I might like the 174 but have no complaints on the 163 so I'm happy there! Great sled all around!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my T3, in deep snow it amazes me what it will do. I ride a lot,, more than most i'd say and the last 2 January's in Revelstoke
the snow hasn't been the best. Yesterday my T3 over heated a lot.. Fun sled for pow, but not the best jumping "Freeride" sled.
Not the best sled for exploring deep into uncharted alpine either in these conditions and not the best sled for 100's of Km's of whoops weekly(to access)

IMO the 154 Freeride is the best all around Mountain sled Skidoo builds, for me anyways..

Love my T3 though, I just need one of each.

Last edited:

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my 163" T3. Bar far the best mountain sled I have ever driven. Its perfect for tree riding and the steep stuff. I also found no problem jumping it. Better shocks would be nice but stock works for now. I wouldn't buy any other sled! SLEDDING.jpg

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my 163" T3. Bar far the best mountain sled I have ever driven. Its perfect for tree riding and the steep stuff. I also found no problem jumping it. Better shocks would be nice but stock works for now. I wouldn't buy any other sled!View attachment 183380

They jump OK,, but there is better sleds for it....

S0121514.jpg

Last edited:

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He is asking for best all around. Of course there are better sleds for jumping including any factory racing sled! But can they climb and go in the deep too? (nice picture by the way)

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He is asking for best all around. Of course there are better sleds for jumping including any factory racing sled! But can they climb and go in the deep too? (nice picture by the way)

I know hes asking for best all around mountain sled. And IMO the 154 Freeride IS the best all around mountain sled Skidoo makes. I spent 120 days on a Freeride last
season and yes it will climb just about any thing and works well in the deep too. T3 is better on the deep days,, but not every day out here is deep,, right
now the snow sucks and I don't even want to ride my T3 cause it over heats all day... If I had my old Freeride, id go jumping or exploring...

And Thanks BTW

Cheers Dan

Last edited:

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know hes asking for best all around mountain sled. And IMO the 154 Freeride IS the best all around mountain sled Skidoo makes. I spent 120 days on a Freeride last
season and yes it will climb just about any thing and works well in the deep too. T3 is better on the deep days,, but not every day out here is deep,, right
now the snow sucks and I don't even want to ride my T3 cause it over heats all day... If I had my old Freeride, id go jumping or exploring...

And Thanks BTW

You're right on with your comments Dan, only makes sense, but man you're gonna get bashed, saying the 174 Doo isn't the best at everything !!!! What r u smoking ? Been out with a couple of them, awesome sled but I agree 174 3 inch great for fluffy deep but not everyday all year, overall I'd buy the 163.

Last edited by a moderator:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're right on with your comments Dan, only makes sense, but man you're gonna get bashed, saying the 174 Doo isn't the best at everything !!!! What r u smoking ? Been out with a couple of them, awesome sled but I agree 174 3 inch great for fluffy deep but not everyday all year, overall I'd buy the 163.

My T3 is a 163. A 174 just isn't the sled for me personally. They work good though:beer:

parthunter

Reaction score
I'm starting to think that a 154 T3 could be the thing that I want ... Thanks for all words of wisdom , I will wait to see what ski doo shows up for 2016 .

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think for the masses the 163x 2.5 is the best all around mountain sled from Doo right now. Especially in a low snow year like this one. Definately my 13 and 14 were the most fun I had that I can remember. I haven't spent enough time on my T3 174 this year and have made some suspension changes before riding it based on my first impressions of it last spring in set up conditions at Kusters. I have found my Raptors were faulty from new and my Racers Edge B motion was set to stiff for my riding so its back to stock front shocks next trip and a recalibrated rear skid and work from there.So at this time I can't make an honest comment on my T3.

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 154 is probably all the track that is needed most of the time. The 3" track is only a benefit on the deepest days (not many of these in any year) and it's really a drawback the other 95% of the time.

I find the 154 washes out too much for me and just isn't forgiving enough anymore (getting old I guess). The 162, 2.5 seems to work the best in "most conditions." Good enough on the deep days and still ok and doesn't overheat on the skinny days. Fun enough and probably more sled than I can (dare to) ride on average days.

Last edited:

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riding a 174 T3 is like cheating in the mountains. Sure on icy trails to the mountains it heats a little and can be a little hard on sliders even with ski scratchers if you are not paying attention. This big girl bails this riders ass out day in and day out even when there is no new snow; trees,climbs you name it. It's not rocket science it's simple math long track = less ground pressure longer lugs = moves more snow = more thrust. If the $73 for sliders and the 45 minutes it take to change them is a problem then ride something else but when the chips are down no matter what level you ride you are better off on a T3 in the mountains.

Top Bottom