bent my sled...just not sure where

John Cambell

Reaction score
I've bent my sub frame before. Bought new A arms and they were forever just slightly not lined up on both sides. Maybe it's the frame?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually i was able to buy just the cast aluminum part rather than the whole module ($230 instead of $400), i was just out in the shop and slid the new cast part up in there and things dont line up as good as they should so it looks like a whole new module is the next step. thanks

Cool, that's good to know. so is it easier to replace the cast piece? Wondering about getting at the rivets while the s-module mounted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will most likely be the S module. Replace the module. Pull the G&R bracket and look at the aluminum between the lower control arm bolts (front to back) and you will see that it is in a S shape near the rear where the fingers spread out to the bolts that go into the E module tip the sled on its side to see this clearly. Its not hard to change Ya they should be straight.

Rich

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can i ask what makes you think that the s and the e modules are bent as well?

actually i was able to buy just the cast aluminum part rather than the whole module ($230 instead of $400), i was just out in the shop and slid the new cast part up in there and things dont line up as good as they should so it looks like a whole new module is the next step. thanks

If hit hard enough to take a tumble over the bars, there is a good chance those forces were transferred thru the E-mod as well. This is where the G&R brace debate starts. Some guys swear they save modules and bend A-arms, others say they transfer forces to the E-mod. It's really up to you

You're probably better to replace the whole thing. It might not look like its tweaked but there's a good chance it is. It's a little intimidating at first but it's not so bad. When you remove it, if you remove it, drill all appropriate rivets but use a sharp chisel and hammer on the upper structure. They'll break right off.
Drill out all your holes to 1/4" and use grande 8 bolts, washers and stover nuts. Cover everything with red loc-tite (get the sticks), bolt it up solid and never look back.

As long as the E-mod is straight you'll be good to go.

Long_Track

Reaction score
Measured this on my T3. If you aren't sure where I measured from on the plastic trim let me know and I'll try to find a picture to illustrate. Mine is not in a good place to take pictures right now.

Attachments

• 180877d1418836310-bent-my-sled-just-not-sure-img_3671[1].jpg
    180877d1418836310-bent-my-sled-just-not-sure-img_3671[1].jpg
    147 KB · Views: 259

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
S-module is bent, one ski is further ahead than the other, buddy of mine just got his fixed last week after hitting a stump hidden under the snow, $2100 at Martin.

Tell me that price was for parts and labor?

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
after thinking about it i would say yes i will still use them, the cast piece broke and the s module bent, but i was still able to comfortably ride the thing that day and the next... realistically i could have left it till summer if i wanted. so i do believe it does add durablity to the frame. i guess i will know more tomorrow also after i get the new s module in there and see if it is bent further back. so it may cost me a little more to repair if the e module is bent($385) but for me the more important fact is that i didn't have a sled with one ski missing way back in some bowl.

so is it worth having the g&r braces in or not

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it was no problem to pull the cast part off, prolly about 1/2 -3/4 hr. definetly easy to do

Cool, that's good to know. so is it easier to replace the cast piece? Wondering about getting at the rivets while the s-module mounted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NeilV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anybody ever try to pull theirs back straight instead of replacing it? tempted to hook on to mine with the come-along and see if it wont go back. just dont want to bend an a arm trying.

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anybody ever try to pull theirs back straight instead of replacing it? tempted to hook on to mine with the come-along and see if it wont go back. just dont want to bend an a arm trying.
I may have tweaked an XP closer to straight with a tow rope and a pick up truck....

Limbo

Reaction score

If you straighten a bent piece it will never have the strength of a new piece

captain extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is fairly common with alot of XM/XP's I have replaced around 6 S-Modules. Everyone has been pretty much the same thing, you can't notice the damage or what is bent untill the machine has been torn down. I don't do any fancy measuring back and forth, I just run a finger between the front of the shock and the top A-Arm, your finger shouldnt be able to slide past (depending size of fingers I Guess). If you can that side is likely bent. You have to ensure shocks are set the same and fully extented. This is always the first thing I tell people when buying a XP/XM, take a look at that, alot of the time its hard to notice untill you check that. found it works the best for quick check.

Know a couple people that have bought used sled using my theoury and they got the cost +labour off of the asking price, then came to my place and we changed out the S Mod and good as new for 400$

Mike

Top Bottom