bent my sled...just not sure where

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I managed to hook a rock the other day while sidehilling , I was moving pretty good, fast enough to through me over the bars well in front of the sled.. the weird thing is that on the side that did not hit the shock is not centered in the a arm. i am pretty sure it is just one or more of the a arms but i cant see any twists or cracks in the paint on any of them. i am running g&r braces so i am curious if it is maybe bent further back in the chassis some where?? does anyone have any measurements that i can use to somehow see if my s or e modules are tweaked?? there are no wrinkles in anything that i can see and all the plastic still lines up. pics of the spindle angles to follow soon to show what i am talking about.

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_3671.jpg IMG_3672.jpg IMG_3673.jpg IMG_3674.jpg IMG_3675.jpg IMG_3676.jpg IMG_3677.jpg IMG_3678.jpg
i hit on the left side yet everything on the right seems to be where the problem is, maybe it cranked the bars hard enough to bend the lower arm when the spindle hit it??. the last 2 pics i put the sway bar link on to show the diiference as well. not sure why the pics posted sideways???sorry about that

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might just be the angle of the pictures but if I look at the aluminum spindle asy just above where the 7 holes are I see that angle is different from one side to the other.. That angle points straight down to the floor on one side and back noticeably on the other. This would indicate one ski is back set from the other. Try measuring form the back of the ski to the back of the tunnel (where you can make a measurement on the other side and compare.)

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the one spindle is definetly angled differently than the other, the one ski tip is prolly 2" further back than the other. it is really apparent if you look at the sway bar link, i do believe they were both vertical when i took them off when the sled was still new. the thing i find weird is that it seems like the side that did not get hit is the bent side after looking at the sway bar links, i hit the left side yet the right side lower arm appears to be further forward, i wish i had another xm sitting beside it to compare with. i have a couple xp's in the shop but i think they are different in the front end...not sure

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It may take some dissasembly but your S module is probably bent. Pull the hood assy and pipe out and have a real close look for a crease or bend on the nun.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not super familiar with the RAS2 but from Pic 4 it looks like the lower A-arm is bent on the left side. On Ski-Doos the shocks don't sit centered in the upper A arm they sit closer to the front.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
take it off the dollies before you do any measurements.

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not super familiar with the RAS2 but from Pic 4 it looks like the lower A-arm is bent on the left side. On Ski-Doos the shocks don't sit centered in the upper A arm they sit closer to the front.

also in pic #2 the upper ball joint is not proper either, the spindle looks cranked forward

could someone get me some measurements on their sled to the upper and lower ball joints from a reference point by the footwells somewhere?

Last edited:

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dumb question but you are sure you didn't buckle a lower a arm. I have had that happen a lot where one ski is pulled back slightly because of the lower a arm.

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
arms are straight visually, and i cant feel any wrinkles anywhere, gonna have to pull the front plastic off like ken says and have a look

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine looked exactly the same.
S module, that cast piece in the center of the lower a arms, a arms and spindle on one side.
I did not have any braces on.

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_3684.jpg got her torn down.....cast piece is broken, cant see any wrinkles in the tin anywhere so i should just need the one part, thanks guys

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like the s module needs replacing and possibly the e module by the look of that last photo. Check the lower a-arm as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can i ask what makes you think that the s and the e modules are bent as well?

Looks like the s module needs replacing and possibly the e module by the look of that last photo. Check the lower a-arm as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The lower aluminum piece that the a-arm attaches to is the s- module. To my knowledge that broken part part on yours cannot be ordered seperate,unless the whole s-module is ordered.
Broken s module is a pretty good hit.
Inspecting the e module may reveal cracks or breaks in the structure.
You won't know really till the s module is replaced. S-module won't line up with the e module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually i was able to buy just the cast aluminum part rather than the whole module ($230 instead of $400), i was just out in the shop and slid the new cast part up in there and things dont line up as good as they should so it looks like a whole new module is the next step. thanks

Top Bottom