Belt rotation

Nonhighwayservice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How often, if at all do you rotate on your NEW spare belt? I've heard that the XMs are getting some pretty serious mileage on the belts before finally breaking/wearing out. I don't want the spare to crack and dry out from non-use.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I try to throw a brand new spare when there is a long trail ride in so I can break it in properly. Then that way when you blow your main belt in 3 feet of powder the spare is broken in.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I try to throw a brand new spare when there is a long trail ride in so I can break it in properly. Then that way when you blow your main belt in 3 feet of powder the spare is broken in.

that's what I do and it seems to work just. If it's been in the belt holder for a long time it's still a good idea to tap er cool for the first few miles

Clay911

Reaction score
Yeep i take me NEW spare and put it on for the trail up and down a couple times to get a good 100km break in then its ready to go when it blows on good snow days. And as soon as a belt starts to fray a bit or lose a cog i throw it out, the last thing i need is to be spending an hour pulling cords out of the 2 clutches when it blows(nevermind the damage they can do at 8000 rpm).

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thread subject has me wondering, why do the belts have to turn in the rotation direction marked on them? Aren't they the same both ways?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never broken in a belt in my life. No problems getting huge mileage out of them either. But that's a really good idea doing the Long trail thing.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never broken in a belt in my life. No problems getting huge mileage out of them either. But that's a really good idea doing the Long trail thing.

Really?!?... Must not be riding hard enough then.;)

Sent from my Shoe Phone

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I to never break in a belt. Just give it 5-10 min of easy riding and then pin it! I get the same mileage as guys that break in there belts.

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thread subject has me wondering, why do the belts have to turn in the rotation direction marked on them? Aren't they the same both ways?

It really doesn't matter, as long as you always run it the same direction. They just make it easy for us to remember.

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
I blew a 392 (XM) belt in heavy powder with only 800 km on the sled. I've heard of a few other guys that have blown belts around 1000 km too. I was expecting it to last to at least 1500 km (Skidoo claims over 2000km) so I only had a 388 (XP) belt with me as a spare that day. The 388 is identical to the 392 except the rubber grade is formulated for slightly higher temperature in the 388... I found it ran great in my XM and I put it on whenever there's a heavy powder day.

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I blew a 392 (XM) belt in heavy powder with only 800 km on the sled. I've heard of a few other guys that have blown belts around 1000 km too. I was expecting it to last to at least 1500 km (Skidoo claims over 2000km) so I only had a 388 (XP) belt with me as a spare that day. The 388 is identical to the 392 except the rubber grade is formulated for slightly higher temperature in the 388... I found it ran great in my XM and I put it on whenever there's a heavy powder day.

383 belt probably?......or 377?? I always understood the opposite to be the case...the 391is the latest, greatest heat resistant best i have not heard of many 383's lasting, they are usually for the smaller cc sleds. 377 is a decent belt but no longer being made.

Spudnik

Reaction score
I am not sure what belt is on my 2012 but whatever came stock . I have over 3300 kms on it and it still looks like new. And yes they are lots of hard kms on in it deep power to the bars all day. Unbelievable. On my last sled 07 xrs i think i went through 8 the first year . Once i got it set up right it was fine good though.

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

X2 on this with the addition of a 3rd in my gear bag. If I happen to blow a belt on my first day out I like to know I still have a new, not broke in spare just in case.

Top Bottom