Beaver mines sucks now

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So after going out to beaver mines, after being told by many that the new rules aren't that bad, I can officially say I won't be back.

We set up in the allowed section of the back country, and a couple cons officers came by to make sure we had permits. No big deal. They gave us a new "approved trail" map. There's gaps in the trails, so you can't complete a ride without loading up and transporting, to an area where you can't park, and have someone take the truck back, or illegally riding a half mile of ditch.

Day 2 wives go out for a ride and come back after 10 mins with a conservation officer. He gives me hell because one of my bikes I had the insurance on my phone as a pdf, not hard printed. 78$ ticket.

He then points at the 2 dogs laying under the trailer and tells me they have to be on a leash at all times, in the park, and the new wild lands. But he'll let me off with a warning for that and the headlight being helmet mounted rather than bike mounted, and tells me to load the bike up.

He couldn't answer some questions, proceeds to tell me that f&w don't know what they are talking about, and that even tho he knows the website is inaccurate, and the signage in 80% of the land hasn't been changed yet, it's my responsibility to know what's an approved use of land where.

He tells us there could be 1000$ of fines coming my way, and assures me he's not being a dick.

Well, he may be just doing his job, but I can assure you, they have made it very inconvenient and difficult to enjoy the Alberta backcountry. At least in the castle area.

Boo ndp and their chitty new park.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the second similar complaint I've heard about the Castle Parks. I haven't been there yet and was hoping to have a chance to do some good exploring in the area this summer. The dog thing is frigg'n over the top. As if what they did to the trails wasn't bad enough, now they have to ruin camping for our pets too?! Man, is this ever depressing.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So after going out to beaver mines, after being told by many that the new rules aren't that bad, I can officially say I won't be back.

We set up in the allowed section of the back country, and a couple cons officers came by to make sure we had permits. No big deal. They gave us a new "approved trail" map. There's gaps in the trails, so you can't complete a ride without loading up and transporting, to an area where you can't park, and have someone take the truck back, or illegally riding a half mile of ditch.

Day 2 wives go out for a ride and come back after 10 mins with a conservation officer. He gives me hell because one of my bikes I had the insurance on my phone as a pdf, not hard printed. 78$ ticket.

He then points at the 2 dogs laying under the trailer and tells me they have to be on a leash at all times, in the park, and the new wild lands. But he'll let me off with a warning for that and the headlight being helmet mounted rather than bike mounted, and tells me to load the bike up.

He couldn't answer some questions, proceeds to tell me that f&w don't know what they are talking about, and that even tho he knows the website is inaccurate, and the signage in 80% of the land hasn't been changed yet, it's my responsibility to know what's an approved use of land where.

He tells us there could be 1000$ of fines coming my way, and assures me he's not being a dick.

Well, he may be just doing his job, but I can assure you, they have made it very inconvenient and difficult to enjoy the Alberta backcountry. At least in the castle area.

Boo ndp and their chitty new park.
Despite the officer's assurances, sure sounds like he was being a Dick.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Despite the officer's assurances, sure sounds like he was being a Dick.

So he should have let him off with no tickets? I don't know any police/law enforcement that takes PDF's on phones as proof of anything. The Light law has been around forever and dogs being on leash in AB parks is not new, the park designation to the area is new.

Sure its ****ty, what was once the wild West where people could go shoot guns, rip around on quads and random camp wherever and however they like is now under tighter control. Unfortunately people do need to research the new rules for themselves. Its a pain and they are not always clear but I typically print a copy of many items and keep them in the truck so when I get a pushy CO trying to tell me I need to have a Forestry Approved spark arrested silencer on my bike (this has happened to me) I can show them the actual law. You should see them squirm when they ask me the capacity of my 5.56 mags and I tell them they are 10 round and they try and tell me its prohibited. Ummm nope, here is the RCMP bulletin sir. We have to educate ourselves better than the CO's which isn't always simple to achieve.

I honestly stopped going to Castle area because of some of the yahoo's down there. Maybe now I will start to go back if they are policing it. The Park reclassification started before the NDP took over which some people forget. It was proposed before Nothead's group got their hands on it. I don't like many of the restrictions but they more they displace people the higher the chance people are going to find new areas which are likely already over crowded.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can use the pdf sent by email as proof of insurance to register, so why would it not count? We're living in the digital age. Just trying to save paper

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And you don't find it ridiculous that you can't have your dog off leash in the entire wild lands? It's thousands of acres of bush.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And you don't find it ridiculous that you can't have your dog off leash in the entire wild lands? It's thousands of acres of bush.

As I said, I do not like many of the restrictions. But a Provincial Park is a Provincial Park and those off leash rules are not going anywhere anytime soon. What I find though there is enough area I can go to and not have to deal with PP rules. The Castle area was and will continue to be a largely used area. It sucks for those people who have been good ethical back country users for numerous years to lose a prime summer location to park status.

And I pulled this quote from a eSlips report I read not long ago. It would be nice if Alberta could get into the digital age, there are numerous advancements this province could benefit from but the current government isn't too concerned with making your life easier.

Original, Paper Pink Card

"In each of the pink card provinces and territories, the basic requirement for an insurance card isset out in legislation. However, that legislation defers to the applicable provincial or territorialregulator to determine the form of the card.At present, most of the regulators of the pink card provinces and territories do not clearly specifyin their official bulletins or notices that an original paper card is the exclusive format (onlyAlberta is clear on this point, requiring paper cards). However, representatives of theseregulators confirmed that the original paper card is nonetheless required.Many consumers are unaware that a photocopy of an insurance card is not valid evidence ofinsurance coverage in these jurisdictions. Not having the original paper pink card in the vehicleis technically an offence, although some police officers exercise discretion in enforcing thatrequirement."

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I said, I do not like many of the restrictions. But a Provincial Park is a Provincial Park and those off leash rules are not going anywhere anytime soon. What I find though there is enough area I can go to and not have to deal with PP rules. The Castle area was and will continue to be a largely used area. It sucks for those people who have been good ethical back country users for numerous years to lose a prime summer location to park status.

And I pulled this quote from a eSlips report I read not long ago. It would be nice if Alberta could get into the digital age, there are numerous advancements this province could benefit from but the current government isn't too concerned with making your life easier.

Original, Paper Pink Card

"In each of the pink card provinces and territories, the basic requirement for an insurance card isset out in legislation. However, that legislation defers to the applicable provincial or territorialregulator to determine the form of the card.At present, most of the regulators of the pink card provinces and territories do not clearly specifyin their official bulletins or notices that an original paper card is the exclusive format (onlyAlberta is clear on this point, requiring paper cards). However, representatives of theseregulators confirmed that the original paper card is nonetheless required.Many consumers are unaware that a photocopy of an insurance card is not valid evidence ofinsurance coverage in these jurisdictions. Not having the original paper pink card in the vehicleis technically an offence, although some police officers exercise discretion in enforcing thatrequirement."

Something I do find interesting is that the Police already have your insurance information from when you renew your plate on the vehicle. Last time I was pulled over the officer said he didn't need to see Insurance or registration as he already had that from when he ran the plate. The same process to renew my quad and sled, it seems to me that an electronic version should suffice. For what it is worth I always carry the paper docs maybe just cuz I am old.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something I do find interesting is that the Police already have your insurance information from when you renew your plate on the vehicle. Last time I was pulled over the officer said he didn't need to see Insurance or registration as he already had that from when he ran the plate. The same process to renew my quad and sled, it seems to me that an electronic version should suffice. For what it is worth I always carry the paper docs maybe just cuz I am old.
But out there I'm sure there's no radio or cell reception, so how would they run the numbers??

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You can have insurance cards/plan that are valid of the time of registration that expire after that. The renewal dates do not follow the registration.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the second similar complaint I've heard about the Castle Parks. I haven't been there yet and was hoping to have a chance to do some good exploring in the area this summer. The dog thing is frigg'n over the top. As if what they did to the trails wasn't bad enough, now they have to ruin camping for our pets too?! Man, is this ever depressing.

Off leash dogs can be a **** show if the owners don't look after them. As always government needs to put restrictions on everyone because of a few.

May long weekend campers near us let their lab wander all weekend until my rotty had enough of him poking his nose in our site.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did your rotty deal with their lab in a nice way? hahahah
Off leash dogs can be a **** show if the owners don't look after them. As always government needs to put restrictions on everyone because of a few.

May long weekend campers near us let their lab wander all weekend until my rotty had enough of him poking his nose in our site.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good point but not really our problem any more than carrying a PDF of the insurance on your phone is. As I said, I carry paper anyway so not a problem for me. I do get annoyed with petty bureaucrats who decide to hassle someone for less than perfect compliance even if non-compliance is irrelevant. Those people are behaving like Wicks IMO

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I dislike CO's and police/sheriffs who are dick heads. Power trips are not necessary and if I'm deserving of a ticket fine, I don't need the lecture nor attitude.

With Castle the way it is, the eastern part of BC is going to be similar once the Y2Y group and CPAWS get their fingers into the BC NDP. I've said it before, from the US border to Kanaskisis, and the Alberta border to the western side of the Elk Valley is going to be interesting. Even Tru-dope wants a park in the Flathead. The private lands that are there will be sold to the government (Jemi Fibre has raped and pillaged the area and they would love to recoup a big government handout) and along with the Nature Conservancy of Canada and their blocks of land already in place, it will blow our minds how fast this happens.

Top Bottom