Beacons

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Well its not to late to go pick up a beacon if you dont have one and they don't go bad, just the batteries. Even if you only go to the mountains a few times a year. I should not even have to say this but I don't think a person would have to think, hmmm I ride 2 times x 4 times a year and I guess that would pay it self off over time.:hmm: If you have to think then give the head a quick shake.

Here is a site that has good info on them.Avalanche Beacon Reviews (Avalanche Transceivers)

Now, If you got a beacon make sure you just don't just check to see if its working and once in a while change the batteries. You should know how to operate it, get a buddy and learn on them a bit.

The best thing would be to take an avalanche course, and get the training on how to use these and how not to get into situations that you need to use a beacon. ZacsTracs

Last edited:

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ron.
I picked up 4 beacons for your group this year. We had them out this weekend just in a filed and were trying them out together for the first time.

I have been trying to get on a Zac's course but being 3hrs north of Edmonton is a pain. I hope to get on the next 3 day course right at Terracana. That way the course is covered and I have a reason to stay and ride a couple days.

Now that I have all the gear I hope to never need it!!!

throttle-up

Reaction score
Website
www.leekseeker.com
Well put Ron. Since the tragedy in Fernie I've sold a wack of beeps and other avy gear to a lot of fellow sledders. It's a terrible thing when it takes a tragedy for people to pay attention. I've taken the avy course from Lori at Zac's and it definitely put things into perspective for me. The course offered by Lori is excellent and she know's what she is talking about!

Everyone, PLEASE ride safe out there and live to ride another day!

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get your buddies together, with thier beacons some back packs and some beer..place beer in at least three back packs with a beacon each, then go bury them in the snow bank and play find the beer....:beer:

Something so every one practice's using there becons.....maybe even in that other season that dosent have snow :eek:....hide them while camping ....

Lori says..."practice, practice, practice......"

white ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can't take the course at least read the instruction booklets..
It will show you how to use it and they say you should practice using it every so often!!!

mozzie

Reaction score
There is so many people outthere that have all the best equipment sleds trucks trailers etc. But dont even have any avalanch gear. Just last week me and a freind were riding in lynx creek when four sleds came up they were from brooks alta these guys had no avalanch gear. This is very common to see.

Top Bottom