BC Sled Insurance

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know there have been multiple post on this subject, either I cant find them or not looking hard enough. I am slowly moving my stuff to BC, and damn the insurance is pricey. 1000 every 6 months for basic liability on my harley..... So am a bit worried about the sled. Its basically stock 2009 summit 154, minor mods to it (no monster stickers):eek:....... Anyways the question is do I need to insure and register sled in BC? Also any ideas on costs?

Thanks

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I know there have been multiple post on this subject, either I cant find them or not looking hard enough. I am slowly moving my stuff to BC, and damn the insurance is pricey. 1000 every 6 months for basic liability on my harley..... So am a bit worried about the sled. Its basically stock 2009 summit 154, minor mods to it (no monster stickers):eek:....... Anyways the question is do I need to insure and register quad in BC? Also any ideas on costs?

Thanks

I have been here for 11 years and haven't registered a sled yet. There seems to be no enforcement in the SE corner so until the new regs come out to hell with them. Sled registration is only $15 for the life of the sled but one has to pay the PST before registering. Insurance is not mandatory on sleds.

My quad (05 Polaris 500HO), I register and insure with just liability for $54 for 6 months. I think the registration is $44. That allows me to travel on the forestry roads and they doo check for insurance, helmets, license, etc. in our area. Fines are heavy.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Fernie.....Well I live on Van Isle, so may ride there if I bring my sled west. I am still working in Edmonton and my sled is here with me because my friends I ride with are here. We ride, Mcbride/Valemount/Revy so as far as getting up to the alpine I should be ok then? On the island I think I need to ride forestry roads, I hope some of the island guys comment on this thread too.....

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pay around 700 a year for my 2011 summit X, which is the trail star plus. all the best coverage and free rental sled if mine is ever in for a claim. I use Coast Capri insurance on it. registration was only 10 bucks, might as well get it

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sled is going to the island before the end of August. Then come back to Alberta to be ready for this season.... So thanks for the info. I just looked at Mid-Island Sno Blazers Capri offers a discount to join the BCSF.... So may do that too....Quite a difference in rates from Alberta to BC

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you are moving to bc you shouldn't have to pay HST when regestering.
if it is a new purchase wait 3 months before switching to BC then that should save you from the HST.
Same with any type of vehicle.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
I insure through my credit union 10% off with proof of snowmobile club membership and another 10% off if you have completed the sled safety course.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
2 yrs. ago it was around 600 for an 07, haven`t for the last 2 yrs. should have after this past season :eek:. The RCMP do do spot checks here for reg. also. Haven`t seen them hand out a tkt. though just warnings.
Here is the site for the Mid Island Sno-Blazers. Check with them.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 yrs. ago it was around 600 for an 07, haven`t for the last 2 yrs. should have after this past season :eek:. The RCMP do do spot checks here for reg. also. Haven`t seen them hand out a tkt. though just warnings.
Here is the site for the Mid Island Sno-Blazers. Check with them.

Thanks for the Mid Island link...definately going to be checking them out

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you do get insurance youll probably be the only one with it on the Island,most of us are registered but no one I no or ride with has insurance,never been checked anywhere in B.C myself,on my Quad yes,sled no.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you do get insurance youll probably be the only one with it on the Island,most of us are registered but no one I no or ride with has insurance,never been checked anywhere in B.C myself,on my Quad yes,sled no.

Thanks Scrambled.....torn in leaving sled on island or bringing back to Alberta...Of course will be registered, do I require out of province inspection on the sled??

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Scrambled.....torn in leaving sled on island or bringing back to Alberta...Of course will be registered, do I require out of province inspection on the sled??

I think you have it backwards, if you are riding on crown land anyway. Insurance is the big fine, not registration.
Only require vehicle inspection on if using on public roads. Which, of course you cannot do.

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
Just got my renewal ... mine went down in Alberta to 389/year all perils.

IMG-20110720-00504.jpg

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you have it backwards, if you are riding on crown land anyway. Insurance is the big fine, not registration.
Only require vehicle inspection on if using on public roads. Which, of course you cannot do.

So I need registration not insurance provided I stay off public roads. So most if not all mountain sledding I should be fine. An no out of province required.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So I need registration not insurance provided I stay off public roads. So most if not all mountain sledding I should be fine. An no out of province required.

With snowmobiles, registration is the law (a yellow vinyl decal) throughout the province. Insurance is optional. Not very well enforced.

With quads registration and insurance is mandatory for the Forest Service Roads. Quite well enforced.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I was thinking, can I keep the insurance and provider that I have in Alberta (Same company that has my house insurance in BC) with the sled registered in BC. Also what about my enclosed sled trailer, same as sled? use same company I am using? I am happy with my rates throught the current company, I pay 400 a year full coverage on my sled, just got to check that I can keep the insurance on both sled and trailer while registered in BC. Is it a requirement to put ICBC on my trailer? I will find out for sure next week as it all goes home for out of provinces (those required) and registration/Insurance as required.

Top Bottom