BC off road registration for out of province users ?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you live in Alberta and have units insured and registered with plates in Alberta ?
Ask your insurer if your covered in other provinces?
You will be and end of story.
Come on you guys??

What's next ? You will need a permit or different insurance for you vehicle to drive their hwy or forestry road?

Last edited:

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, what insurance company? Guy I talked to (Capri Insurance) said they had to stay in BC over the summer to be covered.
Yes they stay in BC over the summer. Why would I ever bring them to Alberta is what I think. I ride them in BC. Capri is who I got insurance from.
Only time I ever bring onebto Alberta is for dealer visit.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not registered my sleds yet. I personally think (and this is only my opinion) that there is so much confusion out there (between ICBC, the vendors, the RCMP, and the CO's) that this will be postponed for awhile yet.

Enforcement will be difficult as both the RCMP and CO's have more important duties to preform. Out of province people will be fine with their registration and insurance. They will be in a better position than BC residents because the enforcers will be a little more lenient until the process gets ironed out.

The comment made about insurance on a FSR, in my opinion, is redundant. It is illegal to ride a snowmobile on a plowed FSR whether you have insurance or not. Insurance is not required on an unplowed FSR. I don't know why bureaucrats can't get these thing right the first time. Snowmobile registration hasn't worked since it was first implemented back in the beginning.
I dont think you should bother registering or they will want that tax.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes they stay in BC over the summer. Why would I ever bring them to Alberta is what I think. I ride them in BC. Capri is who I got insurance from.
Only time I ever bring onebto Alberta is for dealer visit.

Well I don't have anywhere to store them in BC during the summer, so they need to come back to Alberta. But looking further at the licensing, it seems that BC is a one time $48.00 charge, Alberta is a yearly renewal of $55.00. So looks like I will keep my BC plate, and buy my insurance in Alberta. So I will have the required liability insurance, as well as theft coverage for when they are being stored.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I don't have anywhere to store them in BC during the summer, so they need to come back to Alberta. But looking further at the licensing, it seems that BC is a one time $48.00 charge, Alberta is a yearly renewal of $55.00. So looks like I will keep my BC plate, and buy my insurance in Alberta. So I will have the required liability insurance, as well as theft coverage for when they are being stored.
I thought if they are registered in BC they collect the PST and GST on the appraised value. I haven't bee bothered to actually buy the Alberta plate other than the first season on most of my sleds since only riding in BC. Since my plate is due in May I pay in Dec and only pay 6 months (27.50)

I think you need a BC address to register there

Last edited:

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the sled in BC and did register it there, so tax was already paid. I do have a Bc address so that isn't an issue. Just am trying to figure out the cheapest way to do this, and still have the coverage I need.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So why not leave it there for summer? I found the liability option via bcsa membership to be a significant savings.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I dont think you should bother registering or they will want that tax.

A person wouldn't mind the tax so much if they would have done it on market value instead of the purchase price. A two year old sled with 6000 km is a lot cheaper than the purchase price, thus the 7% PST would be reasonable but to pay the tax on the purchase price is a ridiculous cash grab IMHO.

Yes, sleds should have been registered and taxes paid from the get-go but to insist that sleds from 2011 that weren't registered are required to have taxes paid on the purchase price is highway robbery. If there is no enforcement, why do they think people to hop right to it and pay that $1100 PST?????

Kranked

Reaction score
A person wouldn't mind the tax so much if they would have done it on market value instead of the purchase price. A two year old sled with 6000 km is a lot cheaper than the purchase price, thus the 7% PST would be reasonable but to pay the tax on the purchase price is a ridiculous cash grab IMHO.

Yes, sleds should have been registered and taxes paid from the get-go but to insist that sleds from 2011 that weren't registered are required to have taxes paid on the purchase price is highway robbery. If there is no enforcement, why do they think people to hop right to it and pay that $1100 PST?????

From what Im understanding is your going to pay 12% PST on anything bought through a private sale. Looking at the ICBC website, they want you to pay the provincial sales tax but at a 12% rate instead of the 7%. Theres nothing about GST and PST but you are paying the same as if it were. Am I reading this wrong? because this just seems like a money scam.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
From what Im understanding is your going to pay 12% PST on anything bought through a private sale. Looking at the ICBC website, they want you to pay the provincial sales tax but at a 12% rate instead of the 7%. Theres nothing about GST and PST but you are paying the same as if it were. Am I reading this wrong? because this just seems like a money scam.

That's because it is!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

I would think that is the gist of it. If you bought a sled privately, you will pay the 12% (5% GST and 7% PST) on the bill of sale. I have paid the GST on my sleds as they were dealer bought in Alberta. I won't pay the PST on that bill of sale.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Here's the worst part tho...... Dude A buys a sled brand new for 15K in BC. Pays his dealer $1800 GST and PST, who then submits this tax to the respective gov'ts, and off he goes. Dude B buys this sled off Dude A a year later for 12K and now has to pay the BC gov't $1440 more. They've already collected the sales tax!!!! Dude C buys sled off of Dude B a year later for 10K and now has to pay the gov't $1200 more. They've already collected the sales tax once LEGITIMATELY, and another time with their "scam"! This is outright THEFT!!! Plain as day! Maybe the ONE reason that I'm glad i don't live in BC. Lol

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's the worst part tho...... Dude A buys a sled brand new for 15K in BC. Pays his dealer $1800 GST and PST, who then submits this tax to the respective gov'ts, and off he goes. Dude B buys this sled off Dude A a year later for 12K and now has to pay the BC gov't $1440 more. They've already collected the sales tax!!!! Dude C buys sled off of Dude B a year later for 10K and now has to pay the gov't $1200 more. They've already collected the sales tax once LEGITIMATELY, and another time with their "scam"! This is outright THEFT!!! Plain as day! Maybe the ONE reason that I'm glad i don't live in BC. Lol
That's what I was saying before

I guess it's fine to have to pay gst in Alberta on a sled if u buy it used from a dealer, but u don't pay a thing from a private sale

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
That's what I was saying before

I guess it's fine to have to pay gst in Alberta on a sled if u buy it used from a dealer, but u don't pay a thing from a private sale

But the dealer "sold me a new sled" and reduced the price of the new sled by the price of the trade in, thereby reducing the GST that I pay on the new one. You're paying that difference when you buy that used one.

Top Bottom