Battery Booster packs - thoughts?

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone use anything like this? Good, bad, waste of money? Have to leave my truck at an airport parking lot for a week of -20 to -30 (no plug ins). Be nice to have to have something on hand to jump myself.

Syclone74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup bought one to boost my '10 cummins it fired right up and its only a couple weeks old so take my 2c lightly. It did what I needed to do but we will see how well it does in the long run

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. What do I need for my half ton, 1000 max battery ok? I don't mind that this one has a little compressor as well.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are worth every penny. I think mine is 800A motomaster eliminator and it cranks my 8.1L over no problem. it also has 3-110v plug ins, a 12v cig lighter port, and a USB charging port. the booster cables are detachable

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sweet. Thanks for the info. I can't believe I have gone this long without one.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am Santa. My hair is turning the right colour, thankfully I'm not ballooning outward yet.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I assume these have to be plugged into the cigarette light or an outlet to work? Ie. if I have no power at all when I turn the key on my truck, will this be useless?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I assume these have to be plugged into the cigarette light or an outlet to work? Ie. if I have no power at all when I turn the key on my truck, will this be useless?
not sure what you're saying, charge it up with either cigarette lighter plug or 110v plug at home. pack it around until you need it and it will start your vehicle if the battery is stone dead via the booster cables

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Suppost to have it charged up ready to boost when needed the booster cable to boost your vehicle then when running recharge via cigarett lighter or plug in at home.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure what you're saying, charge it up with either cigarette lighter plug or 110v plug at home. pack it around until you need it and it will start your vehicle if the battery is stone dead via the booster cables

Yeah sorry, you got the gist though. Just wondering if this was a stand alone unit, so it had the ability to hold its own charge, or if it was dependant on having a power source whenever you needed it. Thanks! Electricity is not my thing if you couldn't tell.

aiden1983

Reaction score
You actually charge them for like 24 hours before you put it in he vehicle so it's ready to go when you need it. It's basically a battery with jumpers so you don't need another vehicle. Mine worked OK but I needed to start my vehicle 3 times in one trip and it didn't work on the last one. My battery was frozen so I knew before hand that my 4.5hr drive to get it fixed was going to be interesting. Without it I would have been screwed.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah sorry, you got the gist though. Just wondering if this was a stand alone unit, so it had the ability to hold its own charge, or if it was dependant on having a power source whenever you needed it. Thanks! Electricity is not my thing if you couldn't tell.
lol...no problem man. the one I have now from crappy tire has a digital meter on it that you can check how much % of juice is left in it at the touch of a button. you won't regret buying one

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run 2 batteries with an isolator in the 1/2 ton. Haven't needed a boost since I did that. This GM and my last one...both 5.3 L supercab 1/2 ton car-trucks...would never hold a charge for more than a few days sitting. Too many electronic things running all the time. Since filling the already installed empty extra battery tray and adding an isolator it's never not started, even after sitting a couple of weeks when I was in Mexico and it was chili cold here.

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run 2 batteries with an isolator in the 1/2 ton. Haven't needed a boost since I did that.
they are useful for so much more than just boosting Dave, I use mine for a lot of different things.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most handy tool out there. I bought a Mac tools booster pack which is very small and has a lot of cranking power. Love it. IMO everybody should have one of these sitting in their garage

cancritter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
save your coin..invest in gd alstate deep cell...haven't plugged my 07 ram cummins in since l bought it and were talkin -40 or better some mornins

Top Bottom