Ball joint or hub bearing?

xpsledneck

Reaction score
had it happen on my 11 3500 dodge it was the drivers outer axel u-joint fixed under warrenty

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Typicial dodge thing..No grease fittings so the ball joints are toast at 60,000 km..Nothing against dodge,but like come one ,have them so there greaseable
I'd have to disagree with that statement. My 07 3500 Diesel is still on its factory ball joints after 150,000 km of oilfield travel, My 03 RAM 2500 Diesel had 247,000km of oilfield (factory ball joints, too). Front axle universal joints and front driveshafts are a bit weak, but if you are wrecking ball joints in 60k, you need to slow down when off roading. I tow and haul a lot, and just put brakes in at 147,000k - with 20% wear remaining.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rarely break them,the only exception is the one that is right at the frame at the brake line and a zip tie fixes that.Take the hub and rotor off as a unit leaving the axle in the tube,pull axle out,change u-joint,reverse to install. If you leave the rotor on it actually makes it easier as the rotor gets a large rust build up around the hub making it almost impossible to get it off without messing up the rotor.On a dually,the cotter pin is a little tricky to get in,but it's doable.

I get what your saying but I didn't have the socket for that hub/axel nut. I already spent $65 on the 30mm lower BJ nut

Top Bottom