Ball joint or hub bearing?

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my 09 3500 dodge I have a pulse in the steering after making corner and return to center. Jacked her up slight play top to bottom. Buddy told me its wheel hub! But I would think this is ball joint. Anyone have this happen. Thx in advance!

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my 09 3500 dodge I have a pulse in the steering after making corner and return to center. Jacked her up slight play top to bottom. Buddy told me its wheel hub! But I would think this is ball joint. Anyone have this happen. Thx in advance!

That's a ball joint. My old truck had that happen

Sent from a iPhone

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does ujoint cause top bottom play?

Of course it can't, and if you have top/bottom play you have already nailed the answer of a ball joint. I think if it gets bad though it will take out the U-joint if I am looking at it right?

I have Carli ball joints on order (thank you HRT!) and will put in new U-joints at the same time.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Typicial dodge thing..No grease fittings so the ball joints are toast at 60,000 km..Nothing against dodge,but like come one ,have them so there greaseable

Last edited:

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Greats able are great unless you do not like to grease then they will be worn out way quicker than non greasable

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Sounds like a front axle universal joint....... Jack up each front wheel and leave the transmission and transfer case in neutral and turn the steering wheel all the way to one side and try turning each front wheel..... You will know if a u-joint has seized up. Very common.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Typicial dodge thing..No grease fittings so the ball joints are toast at 60,000 km..Nothing against dodge,but like come one ,have them so there greaseable

It's such a puss pour setup.

No greaseable u joint on a live shaft.

Stupid is as stupid does

sent from my htc

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a front axle universal joint....... Jack up each front wheel and leave the transmission and transfer case in neutral and turn the steering wheel all the way to one side and try turning each front wheel..... You will know if a u-joint has seized up. Very common.
But how does that cause top bottom play?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either way. If Ur doing ball joints and it don't have greaseable wheel joints do them...................

I won't install ball joints with out doing axle joints if there stock.

Adds like 1/2 hour extra labor.

Do it right the first time

sent from my htc

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Or are you saying in addition to the ball joint?

THE WOBBLE WILL BE CAUSED BY THE BALL JOINT ;)........ THE BALL JOINTS ARE JUST WORN OUT

Lower Ball Joint:
If total lower ball joint movement reading is above 2.29 mm (0.090 in) then replacement of the lower ball joint is necessary

Upper Ball Joint:
If total upper ball joint movement reading is above 1.52 mm (0.060 in) then replacement of the upper ball joint is necessary

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And that's the up and down spec.

If it has any side to side its done like dinner.

sent from my htc

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought upper, lower and a u joint. Parts buddy scored me a good deal at $ 200 for it all

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh and don't cheap out on ball joints.

The cheap ones I have seen and installed were loose right from the box.

Just by the OEM replacements with the grease nipple on the lower ball joint at the top edge. Some u can't leave the 45 nipple in cause it hits the axle joint cause its in the center.

Best is moog or Spicer ( but Spicer are not quite as good )

sent from my htc

Top Bottom