Backfiring

Buckethead

Reaction score
Ok, got the Predator going...put new plug in, changed the oil and filter, I never gapped the plug though..was told when I bought the plug it was pre-set. Problem now is that when I start it up it starts fine but bogs out a bit when you give it gas and then back fires and shoots a flame out the muffler? Any ideas on what it could be? I'm thinking I'm going to haul the plug out and find out what it's supposed to be gapped at and make sure it's set correctly to begin. After that....I dunno...any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance and see you all in Brule for tons and tons of fun times!

Buckethead

Reaction score
Plug is gapped right, according to the mechanic's gap size I was told at Polaris. Still back firing? What could be the problem with it? I've checked everything I know and havben't come up with any remedies...any help would be appreiciated! Thanks in advance!

sled

Reaction score
Sounds little your timing may be off a few degrees.Check that and also check your valve clearance could be exhaust valve openning to early

Buckethead

Reaction score
Air filter is good, it's a K&N filter, cleaned it and reoiled it. All good to go. I was thinking the valves maybe but that's not something I can do...so it's off to Cycleworks on Monday morning I guess. I guess they'll let me know what the problem is...at $110 an hour I hope they're fast!! LOL.

sled

Reaction score
Usually they have a cover you can remove to get to the valves and you use a feeler gauge.which you can get at crappe tire.would be cheaper then cycle jerks

Buckethead

Reaction score
I'm still not sure how to go about setting them to where they should be or anything though, probually better in the long run to spend the money maybe? Is it very hard to check the valves and set them if they are off? And what covers do I remove to do this? Any help would be appreiciated! Thanks in advance!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What happened to the engine to start all this, have you checked and cleaned the carbs, checked all the lines off the carb. Buddy had a honda that was backfiring and farting, was caused by rotten tubing off the carb....try the simple stuff before you tear into the engine...Unless something happened to the motor that might have caused this.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
definitely check the carb, backfire is usually timing or gas related. sounds like you had it sitting for a while, although not much info. for my money you have some green goo in the carb jetting. tear it apart or at least run carb cleaner through but keep off the gas as you don't want to burn down.

always try the easy first,

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
I had a polaris that bogged and backfired alot,,,,,,,,,,, was the timing,,,,,,,,, if it has a lack of power in wet holes and up hills,,,,,,, i would get the valves set. But it may need a clutch kit or needle valve adjusted,,,,,, it is a polaris after all. I sold mine and ended alot of problems.

Top Bottom