Backcountry GPS choice

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like ferniesnow mentioned do a good search but realy take a look at the garmin 650 and 655t out of the states they have a 5watt radio, its great to talk to others in the group it also has a polling feature to find each other, like in the trees or in a fog, the gps will lead you right to them, do some research some great choices

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go rino, or stick with a garmin, u can get all the maps, operating advice, majority of people have them and can give you help, why reinvent the wheel. you may be the only one with a magellean(they do work well) and on your own for getting it to work

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like ferniesnow mentioned do a good search but realy take a look at the garmin 650 and 655t out of the states they have a 5watt radio, its great to talk to others in the group it also has a polling feature to find each other, like in the trees or in a fog, the gps will lead you right to them, do some research some great choices

It will show you thier location. It wont show you how to get there without driving off a cliff in the fog. But yeah the garmin is definatly the way to go.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out features but look into how easy it will be for you to operate. Lots of people out there with GPS units and really don't know how to use it. Loading maps for the area you are going to ride, displays can be set to track up or north always up and the track back feature are good ones to know.
I've had my rino for a few years now and just found out I can send a message to anyone in my contacts list within range. I'm still on the look out for tips and tricks.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if u need a GPS to get yer ass home ? u prolly shouldn't be there in the first place :)

Why stop riding just because there is only 3 ft visibility Willy? Weather might be better at the back end of the riding area? Some of us have to drive to snow at great expense and cant pick which days we want to ride.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if u need a GPS to get yer ass home ? u prolly shouldn't be there in the first place :)

GPS? Sure you even know what that means? You sure don't need it for your favorite hobby, beaking off with nothing usefull to add, ever. Do you really ride? Or just spew crap about nothing? Seems you are on here all day.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The topographical map wont show you a 50foot cliff,, It wont show you a 50foot deep cravass ither.
Gps is a good tool, but you shouldnt be riding around with an honest 3foot of Vissabilty if you dont have too be.. Ive done it lots,,not safe and not any fun ither.

Drop down lower and ride some trees or ride another day is my advice. Ive seen people be badly hurt riding around in the fog...But what do I know,, you got yer GPS and Willies got mad skillz so giver...lol

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy fawk guys, the 3' vis reference was just an example!
to answer the OP, Our group went with the Rino 655T radios and they have been responsible for getting everyone back to the parking lot on two occasions in near zero vis and have helped us find stuck sleds maybe 50 times. I won't ever go without this tool in my pack again period. I hope not to need it but i'm glad I have it just in case.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess if all you rode were the same meadows by yourself everyday like Willy you wouldn't need a Rino either but living here and wanting to get away from the masses requires one to get a little adventurous and find the fresh.the Gps is another tool we use regularly, even just to know the names of the massive peaks in all directions. Of course it won't keep you from the 100foot cliff,but sure is a tool I do not want to be without!

Last edited:

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The topographical map wont show you a 50foot cliff,, It wont show you a 50foot deep cravass ither.
Gps is a good tool, but you shouldnt be riding around with an honest 3foot of Vissabilty if you dont have too be.. Ive done it lots,,not safe and not any fun ither.

Drop down lower and ride some trees or ride another day is my advice. Ive seen people be badly hurt riding around in the fog...But what do I know,, you got yer GPS and Willies got mad skillz so giver...lol
He was talking about a 1000 ft cliff. You can drop a 50 ft cliff (not saying I'm going to do it, but I could if I had to). I would never go riding in the alpine with 3 ft of viz, but conditions in the mountains can change very quickly, and it's very easy to get turned around or lost in a complete white out, and a GPS is a good tool to help you figure out which way is which.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He was talking about a 1000 ft cliff. You can drop a 50 ft cliff (not saying I'm going to do it, but I could if I had to). I would never go riding in the alpine with 3 ft of viz, but conditions in the mountains can change very quickly, and it's very easy to get turned around or lost in a complete white out, and a GPS is a good tool to help you figure out which way is which.

I know what willy was saying,, I was talking about a smaller cliffs or cravasses or other dangerous obsticals your gps wont warn you about. I can drop 50foot cliffs too. But not to flat ground,, and when your buddy drives off after you and thier sled lands on top of you, its not good. Ive seen that happen.

Yes back country weather can change very fast. Its a good idea to keep an eye on the clouds. The GPS is a great tool for exploring new places and in an emergncy find your way out or be able to send for help to an exact location. I ride with a Garmin GPS.

All Im trying to say is, dont think you are invincble because you have a GPS. OP from ft mac gets a GPS, heads back 100miles into No where land in the rockies,, storm rolls in "Oh, all is well, we have a gps". Not saying that will happen, but you get the point? Maybe not, oh well f#ck it...lol

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

hmm not sure what elevation interval you been looking at on topo maps, but they will definitely show a 50ft drop, crevace maybe not. although you would have to be reading your map to see it, and may then miss it. my gps has the topo maps with 3m intervals, so if ya know how to read the thing you should see the drop off, again a guy may miss it, a white out is a dangerous situation to be in. i bent a brake lever in half in one, i'll sit and wait next time.

Top Bottom