B.i.s.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
So the club and SRS have been contacted by t.v. and newspaper media, they are planning on doing stories on the anniversary of the Turbo Avy.
I understand riders from Calgary have made arrangements to ride with these people.
What do you guys think of this?
We have heard there is to be a memorial ride, have also heard the event will be held at a couple of other areas, sounds like a chit show to me and the whole world is watching.

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This could go very badly for the reputation of sledding.This is the perfect example of where a good PR person would come in.The last thing the sledding community needs right now is to have a camera crew out there and end up filming a group of people doing/or saying something stupid that will make everyone out to be a bunch of idiots ....

Is our sport dying? Why we need PR and why we need it now! ( 1 2)

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
this could go very badly for the reputation of sledding.this is the perfect example of where a good pr person would come in.the last thing the sledding community needs right now is to have a camera crew out there and end up filming a group of people doing/or saying something stupid that will make everyone out to be a bunch of idiots ....

Is our sport dying? Why we need pr and why we need it now! ( 1 2)

ya, something stupid like "hi-marking"(they make it sound so dangerous/death defying).............. Jus' sayin' ;)

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
We do have a PR person from the BCSF who represents us in this area and he has done so for a long time. I have all confidence in him to do the same for us again.

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya, something stupid like "hi-marking"(they make it sound so dangerous/death defying).............. Jus' sayin' ;)

Or something stupid like sitting at the bottom of the hill with beer in hand....then highmarking....

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the media is heading this up you gotta know there are most likely alterior motives...they aren't doing it to make sledders look good.

IMO Media is going to bring attention to the tragedy again...then cover the story of peeps moving it to another area...then wait for the chitshow so you can trash the industry again. :mad:

Gromit

Reaction score
"I understand riders from Calgary have made arrangements to ride with these people. "
"If the media is heading this up you gotta know there are most likely alterior motives...they aren't doing it to make sledders look good."

ABSOLUTELY NO QUESTION, MEDIA HAVE AN ULTERIOR MOTIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!

"I just hope it`s not O-Zone heading this memorial ride that is supposedly happening"

HE WILL GIVE THE MEDIA EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR!!!!!!!

UNFORTUNATEELY THERE IS NO CURE FOR STUPIDITY !!!!!!!!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
If it was a snowmobile realted TV or magazine I would say yes.....but news media will always twist the words for a better news story so the news media could pound sand as far as i'm concerned.......What not enough avy deaths this year they have to dwell on the past for some?

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
I say there is nothing wrong with a memorial ride with friends and family.

But why the media?

There is no reason to have it posted all over the papers and tv again.
The first time was tramatic enough for all involved.

We must move on in life even tragedy strikes. Tragic events happen daily at worksites, vehicle accident and the list goes on.

We can all remeber in our special way.

Just a reminder that scruplious media types are reading these posts also.

Just my 2 cents

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it was a snowmobile realted TV or magazine I would say yes.....but news media will always twist the words for a better news story so the news media could pound sand as far as i'm concerned.......What not enough avy deaths this year they have to dwell on the past for some?

Best thing would be not to draw any media attention to ourselves for a while.
The media will twist it into bad press for all of us. JMO:d

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Posted at trailheads by Recreation Sites and Trails B.C.

March 10th, 2011
NOTICE TO TRAIL USERS

The Boulder Mountain and Frysby Ridge trail systems are legally designated provincial recreation trails and are managed in partnership between the Province, the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club, and the Snowmobile Revelstoke Society. All recreation events on crown land must be authorized by the Province.
The Big Iron Shoot Out event or any other event has not been approved for the March 12th-13th weekend or any other time during the remainder of the 2011 snowmobiling season.
Safety of the recreation public is a high priority for the government of British Columbia. The Big Iron Shootout event promotes riding and high marking in challenging and complex avalanche terrain. Given the current avalanche danger rating for March 12th is CONSIDERABLE above treeline, travel in complex terrain is not recommended. Conditions are primed for avalanche accidents and even careful decisions can result in serious accidents. Travel in challenging terrain requires using extra caution and advanced avalanche skills are recommended.
Before proceeding it is essential that you are properly trained and equipped and that you know the current avalanche danger rating and the type of terrain you are heading in to.
If you require further information please contact the Columbia Shuswap Recreation District at 1-250-837-7610.

Wade Anderson
Regional Manager
Southern Interior East
Recreation Sites and Trail Branch

Last edited:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree. Snowmobile TV or SnowTraxx or something would be ok as they would at least promote the positive and safe side of what goes on in the mountains. The majority of the riders are somewhat safe and responsible. The ones that aren't are the only ones that this media outfit will dwell on.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plain and simple...when has the media ever done anything to support the positive approach to sledding that many people take. The media isn't there to say hey the sledding community is trying to take a proactive approach to safety but rather report that there is still people who choose to ride in the moutains when there is a risk. Well guess what, there is always a risk. If there were 100 people killed a year while riding in non mountainous terrain it still doesn't make the news as avalanches are news and those who do lose their lives while riding in the mounatains is more news worthy. Its sad that as far as the media is concerned one life is worth less than the next because of the amount of exposure it will receive.

Top Bottom