Axys vs T3

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok fellas I'm curious, there seems to be limited reviews on the new axys, how are they working? And how do they compare? They look sick on the showroom floor and on paper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeh I tried to get some info a few weeks ago on here but nothing.

Last edited:

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I never thought I'd say this but I rode a new axys today...all I can say is I'm very impressed! If this motor holds up skidoo is going to need to step it up imho. I'm am hardcore doo guy and have only rode doo since I was a kid. If this motor holds I would honestly buy one. Very snappy and easy to hold side hill. I really like the t-3 but this axys is s true competitor IMO.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Caper! I ride a 163x3 Axys and my buddy rides a 163x2.6 Axys. We've found them to be a very good sled, but not quite the earth-shattering improvement over the Pro as Polaris advertising would lead you to believe. I like the higher center of gravity and narrower bodywork of the Axys but would be the first to admit it takes a little getting used to as I ended up over pulling it and on my a$$ on the inside of the donut turn. It is VERY responsive to body weight and I also ended up getting stuck pointing up on sidehills until I realized only the steepest sidehills really even need wrong foot forward. We did find that both trenched pretty badly right out of the box and I shortened by limiter strap an inch, loosened the front skid shock and tightened up the rear skid shock and it made a HUGE difference - happy now! You still need to climb with your feet up in the foot wells or they come up big time on steep climbs. Last trip out we had 3 feet of powder and I expected my 3" to really shine vs the 2.6" - it did not... both are very similar as I think the higher track speed of the 2.6 makes up for the shorter lug length. Having said that, I weigh about 45 lbs more than my buddy... maybe 2016 will change that? LOL! The motors pull harder than the Pro's and you can definitely tell they have more power, particularly in mid and top. I have not really rode directly head to head with a T3 yet, but I do not think the Axys will stomp a 174 T3, but in all but a straight up climb should hang with it no problem. The Axys is a good sled but NOT a monster step up from a well set up Pro. This is more of a compliment to the Pro than a knock on the Axys as the Pro does sidehill very well. Time will tell on the reliability side, however that is where the warrantee is a comfort.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thx for the replies, since the axys does not come in a 174 I'd like to keep doos 174 out of the comparisons.

I also like hearing about the 2.6 to 3" comparisons, spring check options are great, something doo dropped the ball on last spring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I never thought I'd say this but I rode a new axys today...all I can say is I'm very impressed! If this motor holds up skidoo is going to need to step it up imho. I'm am hardcore doo guy and have only rode doo since I was a kid. If this motor holds I would honestly buy one. Very snappy and easy to hold side hill. I really like the t-3 but this axys is s true competitor IMO.

I agree with this statement and im a die hard cat rider!

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing firsthand yet, but I have honestly heard nothing but good about the axys. If they hold together should be one heck of a sled. Between the 3 two strokes right now I dont think a person can go wrong. LOVING my T3 154 so far.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a group of 13 riders in the mountains this week, scheduled for 5 days of riding. Mix of Axys stock 2.6, stock 3.0, aftermarket belt drive and 3.2". Plus T3s in the 163 and 174 variety.

After 2 days it appears that the T3 174 is king of the steep and deep climb. But most of the Axys are newer and still working out of breakin, finding correct clutch weights, and playing with the suspension. Excuses, but the T3s are on their second year and guys have them pretty dialed in.

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big step up from pro in handling and motor wise...and i have no complaints bout pro chassis! Love the axys. Havent tested alota deep pow yet but hardpack and trails etc, the new 2.6 hooks up VERY well compared to pro 5.1 series track

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a group of 13 riders in the mountains this week, scheduled for 5 days of riding. Mix of Axys stock 2.6, stock 3.0, aftermarket belt drive and 3.2". Plus T3s in the 163 and 174 variety.

After 2 days it appears that the T3 174 is king of the steep and deep climb. But most of the Axys are newer and still working out of breakin, finding correct clutch weights, and playing with the suspension. Excuses, but the T3s are on their second year and guys have them pretty dialed in.
So u mean like 98% of t3's then, u put gas in and ride dialed in??

And still have to play with a po po to mabe be close??

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Caper, I thought you could snowcheck a 174 Axys. Is this incorrect ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have close to 300 miles on mine so far and am loving it. way easier to lay over the pro. I rode a 163 pro for 3 years. first day out with the axys i was always laying it on its side. Can really notice the power and quicker response of the engine. the easy throttle pull is super noticeable. riding my dads pro is like pulling the throttle on an old tripple. right out of the box i really wasn't happy with the 2.6 track. front end was always in the air and track was trenching. made some suspension adjustments and now the sled keeps the front end planted and pulls like a train. made it feel like a whole new beast. Only one issue so far. The capacitor for the exhaust valve actuator crapped out and made the exhaust valves stuck close.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So u mean like 98% of t3's then, u put gas in and ride dialed in??

And still have to play with a po po to mabe be close??

aww , muffin, don't worry , Maybe next year Doo will introduce something newer than modified 2008 stuff. Even Cat started narrowing up the fat cheeks and got rid of the self levelling low Center of gravity, If Doo puts the skis any further under the belly pan they can goe onesie . LOL.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
aww , muffin, don't worry , Maybe next year Doo will introduce something newer than modified 2008 stuff. Even Cat started narrowing up the fat cheeks and got rid of the self levelling low Center of gravity, If Doo puts the skis any further under the belly pan they can goe onesie . LOL.
Was just saying that, he posted 2 years on a t3 and dialed in

Where 98% of them are bone stock and just install gas and ride

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The AXYS is good, about 500-600 kms on mine I would guess. I am very picky about getting 100% out of a sled using mostly stock parts. I do modify clutching and gearing and play with the suspension. I am comparing my 163 x 2.6 AXYS to my 15 163 Pro with similar mods. The 15 Pro is heavier in the steering but once on one ski the 15 is really stable and sits right on the sweet spot and does not try to right it-self. The AXYS was causing me problems as it was really easy to pull up but the sweet spot was way too narrow on marginal snow. Also with the factory set-up it was out of control while climbing. As Jim said we tightened the limiter straps, softened front skid shock and tightened rear skid shock. I also went to 40" wide on the skis. These adjustments along with rolling the bars forward more, helped us get in control and get our weight forward. The sled was easier to ride at this point and the trenching was reduced but ride on the bumpy trail was somewhat worse. Most guys would be done there but I am still trying to push for more. I tried a set of 15 spindles on and did a short ride, It made the sled really stable due to the lower center of gravity. At this point I decided it was stable enough to narrow up the front end again. I will now be testing with my old proto-type set of offset spindles at 38" wide on the skis. With this change the sled will now balance on one ski like my 15, I see this as very promising as I could not achieve this with the stock set-up.

Now the negatives:

A-Arms are weak (that's why I have them off a 14 on my sled while we look at building a brace kit)
A guy I met had to have all bushings in the skid replaced due to wear at 1000 kms,
The stock spindles are fragile too, as they are tall and more venerable.

Positives,

Power, fit and finish, snappy response, 4 year warranty, light.

In this picture, both sleds are sitting on one ski and not being held up by anything.

Attachments

• at 45.jpg
    at 45.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 933

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I have seen first hand is that it does prove to be a good sled. Good power, light.. Buddy's a-arm snapped like a twig with not too much of a hit though. Almost worth it to carry a spare one with the tools to do a swap out.

There is not much that you need to do with a T3, maybe some suspension setups and that's about it for it to be a runner. The AXYS will have some refinements, like doo did, as Teth-air is explaining... It's the evolution of sledding. Nothing comes close to out of the box perfect in the first year model.... unless you are LennyR.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice picture Chris! Definitely shows the balance point well. Look forward to seeing it work tomorrow.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id be curious to ride one. Some people swear by them and others don't seem that impressed. Not sure if its a brand loyalty thing. I've always bin on ski doo xms and I've tried riding my buddies pro , but it seemed to be hard to get a hang of the steering and it seemed to be a dog compared to my etec. That was a pro, so I'd be curious to try an axys. I know the steering is still the same and would take getting used to but I'm curious on weather or not its as easy or possibly easier to ride then an xm. One day I'll get some seat time on one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom