Axys 174 suspension

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lund for the suggestions. I'll definitely look into trying these changes. I appreciate your explanation and rationale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does increasing ski spring tension also increase ski pressure?
I've always kept the ski springs as soft as possible but now I'm starting to re think that.
While sidehilling, on soft ski springs, most of your travel is already used up. Any bump will bottom you out and try to throw you off, correct?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does increasing ski spring tension also increase ski pressure?
I've always kept the ski springs as soft as possible but now I'm starting to re think that.
While sidehilling, on soft ski springs, most of your travel is already used up. Any bump will bottom you out and try to throw you off, correct?

Front suspension tuning is just as important as the rear and not as straight forward as one might think to get it right.
No the front shock spring doesn't increase front ski pressure, you can increase or decrease your front shock spring and the amount of effort or load carried by the front ski's will not change, example is if you have 100lbs of weight pushing down on the front suspension a front spring adjustment will not change that 100lb weight, the weight will remain constant and static. Remember, ski pressure is basically weight being shared between the rear suspension and front suspension and that can only be changed by the limit strap.
But what will change though is the ability of the spring to carry the weight without bottoming. This is especially apparent when sidehilling and only the one ski is now carrying the weight. Yes your are correct, the shock that is set too soft will use up its travel much easier.
A lot of front A-arms and suspension are damaged because of poor set up's.

Funny how we are talking about front suspension set and what role it plays.........not that i will get into this but remember my "can" thread????

Last edited:

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? So why when setting up race cars, they use screw jacks and weigh scales to set balance! I always assumed the were adjusting Spring pressure.

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah crap. Sorry OP.
Major thread high jack.
I'm out.

Top Bottom