Avy near Golden Mar 27/09

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Avy near Golden

Just saw on the news a avy near Golden takes another sledder today

Like I said in an earlier post about the same avy......" The MAN upstairs is telling US something, and NO ONE is listening." :(

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ya heard the same it was south of golden inn vermont area or silver mines 50year old male i heard.Not Good.

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Can't imagine all the sorrow this past year from those lost to avalanches.

May this fellow RIP and his family take some comfort from condolences offered.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My condolences go out to the family and friends...

On another note...this is just plain ridiculous!! How stupid do people have to be before they get it through their thick skulls? Silvermines is a totally sketchy avy area at the best of times, let alone going out there high marking in one of the worst historical avalanche cycles to hit B.C. How many people have to die in one week before people get it?

Use your heads out there...

the Champ

Reaction score

On another note...this is just plain ridiculous!! How stupid do people have to be before they get it through their thick skulls? Silvermines is a totally sketchy avy area at the best of times, let alone going out there high marking in one of the worst historical avalanche cycles to hit B.C. How many people have to die in one week before people get it?

Agree with you completely! This is not the year to be showcasing high-mark skills in unstable areas...especially NOW that the weather has been warming.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lets keep sh^ty comments like this to ourselves ok guys. We're talking about someone who has died here!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lets keep sh^ty comments like this to ourselves ok guys. We're talking about someone who has died here!

my condolences to the friend and family.

sh^ty comments they may be, but they must be made. Another life lost but lets not waste the lesson that can be learned from his mistake. There are a lot of new people to this sport that haven't a clue as to what they are up against. I hope that some of these new riders read these theads and realize that they are getting into a sport that requires a lot of respect. The victims of Sparwood, Albert Beck the two in Mcbride and now the man in Golden, all seasoned riders and experience mountain riders. Why did they get caught in avalanche. I'm guessing they under estimated the danger, miss read the danger, or totally disrespected the danger, I wasn't there so I cann't say. What I can say is, "let these mistakes not go without us learning something from them or these lost lives will be in vane. Honor our lost brothers and make the right choices."

bubba700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Quite the opposite , comments like that cause people to actually think and learn from an experience.

Do I feel for the family and friends that are affected? Yes they are the ones effected the most in this lose. In my own mind do I think that the guy should get blasted for riding in a sketchy area and putting everything at risk for a few fleeting seconds of enjoyment? Yes. This sport is only fun when everyone comes home at the end of the day. People need to pull their heads out of their cracks and realize that right now, we need to say "no thats not worth it today".

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Quite the opposite , comments like that cause people to actually think and learn from an experience.

Do I feel for the family and friends that are affected? Yes they are the ones effected the most in this lost. In my own mind do I think that the guy should get blasted for riding in a sketchy area and putting everything at risk for a few fleeting seconds of enjoyment? Yes. This sport is only fun when everyone comes home at the end of the day. People need to pull their heads out of their cracks and realize that right now, we need to say "no thats not worth it today".

These comments aren't going to end Avalanche deaths. And now someone is going to say something like... 'well if one persons life is spared cause they stay home this weekend then its worth it' mmmmmm Bull sh^t. Tell your friends who are planning on riding this weekend to go bowling instead. Or to take an avalanche training course. Don't post comments that anyone (including this persons friends and family) can read.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

These comments aren't going to end Avalanche deaths. And now someone is going to say something like... 'well if one persons life is spared cause they stay home this weekend then its worth it' mmmmmm Bull sh^t. Tell your friends who are planning on riding this weekend to go bowling instead. Or to take an avalanche training course. Don't post comments that anyone (including this persons friends and family) can read.

As a friend of someone who died in an avalanche last week - that is exactly the message people need to hear - stay off the mountains for the rest of the season. The conditions this year are the worst they have been in 100 years - enough said.

Last edited:

bubba700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

.[/QUOTE

These comments aren't going to end Avalanche deaths. And now someone is going to say something like... 'well if one persons life is spared cause they stay home this weekend then its worth it' mmmmmm Bull sh^t. Tell your friends who are planning on riding this weekend to go bowling instead. Or to take an avalanche training course. Don't post comments that anyone (including this persons friends and family) can read.[/QUOTE]

Actually because of some threads where it has gotten heated about avys. I have learned a lot, it has caused me to take multiple courses and change the way I ride. Just made plans for tomorrow and the planned location has gotten lots of new snow with wind which for that area=slides so we are going to a more mellow spot and staying out of the big stuff.
And before you start getting all, "You have no Idea what it is like to actually loose some one you are with." I have, 2 seasons ago, and yes I was the one to tell his parents that their charished child wouldn't ever come home to them.
It is a terrible tragedy when some one is lost to an avy and in rare cases ( IE last week in McBride where the gentleman was killed on the trail) it is unavoidable. We shouldn't sugar coat things when it comes to the avoidable ones. It is no different than trying to sugar coat some one that decides to speed on icy roads , wrecks, and kills themselves. We voice how dumb their actions are for the driver but don't for the sledder? The fact is our mtns are as dangerous this year as they have ever been, and yet people are still not heading the warnings and are getting themselves killed because they do not choose to notice.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hey Fox...this thread is about an avalanche claiming another victim...one of our fellow sledders. This is # 5 in less than a week and this time it's not about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's about one of our own passing do to a careless act or lack of respect for his surroundings.

I have had some epic days this year, but have never once put myself or anyone else in danger of being caught in a slide...mainly because I have that respect for mother nature and her power.

These deaths aren't going to bring my sledding to an end for the year, but they sure as hell are going to instill more than normal caution into my daily routine. And, god only knows that I won't be high marking in avy terrain, even though I have 270hp between my legs. Instead...I'll be whoopin' it up with my bros in safe no exposure terrain and will live to ride another day.

Believe me...I'm not disrespecting those that have passed, but I truly believe that almost every event could have been prevented with some good common sense and knowledge. I wish people could become accountable for their actions before it's too late...

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

.[/QUOTE

Actually because of some threads where it has gotten heated about avys. I have learned a lot, it has caused me to take multiple courses and change the way I ride. Just made plans for tomorrow and the planned location has gotten lots of new snow with wind which for that area=slides so we are going to a more mellow spot and staying out of the big stuff.
And before you start getting all, "You have no Idea what it is like to actually loose some one you are with." I have, 2 seasons ago, and yes I was the one to tell his parents that their charished child wouldn't ever come home to them.
It is a terrible tragedy when some one is lost to an avy and in rare cases ( IE last week in McBride where the gentleman was killed on the trail) it is unavoidable. We shouldn't sugar coat things when it comes to the avoidable ones. It is no different than trying to sugar coat some one that decides to speed on icy roads , wrecks, and kills themselves. We voice how dumb their actions are for the driver but don't for the sledder? The fact is our mtns are as dangerous this year as they have ever been, and yet people are still not heading the warnings and are getting themselves killed because they do not choose to notice.[/QUOTE]

No one was killed on the trail here. Making comments that are not true also hurts us as a sledd'n community as well. If I wasn't going to sugar coat this comment I would have told you to keep your uninformed info in your peebrain head but that would just get me moderated. Make sure your comments are facts first.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hey Fox...this thread is about an avalanche claiming another victim...one of our fellow sledders. This is # 5 in less than a week and this time it's not about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's about one of our own passing do to a careless act or lack of respect for his surroundings.

I have had some epic days this year, but have never once put myself or anyone else in danger of being caught in a slide...mainly because I have that respect for mother nature and her power.
These deaths aren't going to bring my sledding to an end for the year, but they sure as hell are going to instill more than normal caution into my daily routine. And, god only knows that I won't be high marking in avy terrain, even though I have 270hp between my legs. Instead...I'll be whoopin' it up with my bros in safe no exposure terrain and will live to ride another day.

Believe me...I'm not disrespecting those that have passed, but I truly believe that almost every event could have been prevented with some good common sense and knowledge. I wish people could become accountable for their actions before it's too late...

Where do you get this stuff???

Top Bottom