Avy bag testing.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Very cool.... Thanks for the link. ... Always wanted a glimmer of proof that they actually work, and i think this is it. Will start looking for an avy pack soon..... Any good deals anywhere??? Heard abs bags are sold out???

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very cool.... Thanks for the link. ... Always wanted a glimmer of proof that they actually work, and i think this is it. Will start looking for an avy pack soon..... Any good deals anywhere??? Heard abs bags are sold out???

Pretty sure Martin Motorrsports still has some.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a note if you read the whole thread, those are not ABS or Snowpulse Avy bags... They are a new design of a Vest type bag, which they say has enough storage in it for shovel, probe, lunch, etc... Which they are trying to make for $525. Go read through all of the posts! (Not saying that ABS and Snowpulse wouldn't work in the same manner.)

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The bag they are testing is called Avi-Vest. Airbag testing was done pre 1982 when a fellow named Hohenester from Europe tested with NASA dummies. He started with a 240 litre balloon shaped like a disc and in all the explosive activated avalanches the dummy and the balloon were on top every time. They continued testing with the balloon volume reduced to 110 litres and found the results stayed the same. Parks Canada tested this balloon in wet isothermal slides in the springtime and found the same results as Hohenester, the dummy with no balloon attached was buried. These tests were repeated over and over and the results were conclusive. The storage and inflation system was not perfected till years later. Hohenester deserves a lot of credit for pioneering a self rescue device, all the other safety devices were to deal with a person already under the snow!

Have a safe WINTER!

Hylode

Reaction score
If you are looking to get one I sure Rocky Mountian can Help
Hereis the link ---->

snowzombie

Reaction score
If you are looking to get one I sure Rocky Mountian can Help
Hereis the link ---->

Like rucky said this a new design. it is still being developed and tested and is not yet available. RMX is ABS distributor

video out now on youtube

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT93IyuYDKY&feature=email[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
wow! finally some field research to back up these bags. it might even open up a new extreme sport of avy riding? I know we are all riding in avy prone areas, has any of the snowmobile clubs looked into avalanche control during these high avy conditions. I mean you could never bomb out all the high risk areas, but what would it take to drop a few grenades at some of the more mainstreem areas that experience higher volumes of sled traffic. Charge a couple extra bucks at the trail pass booths for the costs involved, heck someone may even make some money at it. Ive been rippin in the mountains for over 10 years now, way back it seemed the people respected the mountains and the power they can unleash. I now see more and more people joining the sport with little to no back country experience that abuse the whole situation. If you want to live to sled again take an avy course, know how to use your equipment and practice and make a plan as to what you would do if caught in a slide with your sled buds. come on i dont want to ever see our areas closed because of our negligence!

Hylode

Reaction score
Great Demo Vid Zombie :beer:Thanks :beer:! I have often though about getting some extra safety gear , and now I'm sold , so therefor I will be getting some sort of Avy Bag here in the future , I think it's a small price to pay for your life !!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Any word on when these avy bests might be ready for marketable sale??? I will hold out for one of these, if they work.... Is there a website we can check out??? Anyone know???

Top Bottom