Avy at Quartz yesterday

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friend of a Friend was caught in an Avy yesterday at quartz,,, fawked up his back pretty good in guess. Just a heads up.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are getting closer to Sicamous. Better warn Tex to get his avy bag out of storage...

Lots were coming down at Gorman yesterday too. I was in one but managed to ride it out. Play safe out there:beer:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had my bag on all the time smart azz...

But a month ago to rent one was silly

sent while I should be drinking tea's

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was also in Gorman and saw a few that had slid. Hope your buddy makes out ok. Likduke were you in holt most the day?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was also in Gorman and saw a few that had slid. Hope your buddy makes out ok. Likduke were you in holt most the day?

Yes holt. Went for a trail ride today into blue water not too stocked on alpine conditions today:beer:

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
glad to hear he was ok, worst part about this is a couple hours later guys ran to the left of where he was and brought down another small sluff, the first one was a mistake running at it again was just stupidity, also we seen a crack along one of the other small faces, once again some stupidity played a role and someone brought it down and after the fact this guy and his buddy's sat at the bottom of where it came down for another 20 minutes just genius, use common sense guys

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
considering Avy ratings are RED, I know that I'm not that good....lol....even with my avy courses and avy pack....I'm smart enough to plant my ass.....play safe.

Hydro

Reaction score
Were the slides left or right from the cabin? We were out there all day, and we didn't see any avy's. However we did recognize a bunch of hazardous areas and stayed out of them.

We did witness some people pulling the big hill (yamaha turbo) from the bottom of Cabin valley to top of the world (end of the valley before the park), getting stuck while doing so, on the cornice at the top (at least it looked like the cornice from our vantage point, a long ways away at the bottom on the opposite side of the valley). Witnessed the "rescue hero" (another yamaha turbo) rip to the top while the 1st person was stuck. He made it to the top, but probably not the best decision since that "rescue guy" probably could've gotten to the stuck person from the other side minimizing the risk of setting off an avalanche.

I was speechless when a normally-aspirated sled tried to be a 2nd "rescue hero" and planted himself in the same cornice. So not 1, but 2 stuck sleds buried in the cornice. I was shocked when they all made it to the bottom safely, without setting off an avalanche.

Hydro

Reaction score
Left is the cabin valley. Runs along the creek bed for a bit which is not fully covered yet (right in the middle). There are several climbs on the right hand side as you make your way east-south-east towards the park boundary (marked by signs). We saw clear avalanche sign, and a large fracture at the top (looked like about 1.0m) which is the upper part of the climb that people were doing there on Sunday (way above and beyond my ability level). The fracture was present about 4 weeks ago when we were first out, but was only about 0.3-0.5m then (eyeball'n it). The depth/height of the fracture has obviously increased from wind loading, as it is on the lee side of the mountain from the prevailing winds. Regardless, you are potentially in the run-out zone anywhere along the right hand side if someone triggers above you while you're playing on the lower part. Pays to keep your head up and aware of what others are doing around you.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
From what I have read, the base is week and suspect. With loading, things are going to slide and the longer the loading, the bigger the slide will be. It may not be pretty.

I don't know what people are reading or seeing in the back-country but they better smarten up real quick.......:noidea:

trailblazer

Reaction score
From what I have read, the base is week and suspect. With loading, things are going to slide and the longer the loading, the bigger the slide will be. It may not be pretty.

I don't know what people are reading or seeing in the back-country but they better smarten up real quick.......:noidea:

This next 10 days is gonna be ugly...big snow and a bit of sun!!

Hydro

Reaction score
I heard through the grape-vine that there was a slide in Quartz over the weekend. I'd be interested in photos/information as well. Ferniesnow called it! My Duramax turned me around on Sunday morning throwing DTC's left, right and center (Didn't like the cold, MAF/MAP sensor crap). Maybe it was a sign ("Newbie, stay away!")?!?!?

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Left of cabin has slid for nearly 106 years!! That is a nasty area when snow is fresh. You better know your snow when you wanna play there In fresh. It doesn't look that bad but it often let's loose!! I've been riding there for years always the same!!

Top Bottom