Avalanche fatality in Vale.

Andrew.renegade1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My condolences to the family's, so sad. Hopefully everyone takes something from this the next time your riding! Happy New Years everyone ride safe, be aware, come home safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think a thread should be created for sending condolences to everyone affected by this tragedy.
The original thread starter was asking about what happened.

I went to the site this morning, and met the victims 3 friends. We gave out condolences. . They were retrieving the sled at the time. I offered to help, but they were ok. 27 year old fella.

If anyone has questions, send me a pm.

Tylerlub

Reaction score
I think a thread should be created for sending condolences to everyone affected by this tragedy.
The original thread starter was asking about what happened.

I went to the site this morning, and met the victims 3 friends. We gave out condolences. . They were retrieving the sled at the time. I offered to help, but they were ok. 27 year old fella.

If anyone has questions, send me a pm.

Very sad to hear that a fella so young with so much ahead of him lost so much. Its a very dangerous game we play when we go out for the weekends to enjoy the fresh snow, unbelievable views and push these machines as far as they can go. I got away with so many mistakes as a young rider and don't know for the life of me how I got away with so many. After doing this for 20 years I can't help but to hug my family on the way out the door and rely on my awareness, preparation and training to get me back to them when the trip is over but sadly while that will help it is not a guarantee. My heart goes out to the family and friends involved it truly is a tragedy and remember to be safe out there fellas.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Canadian Avalanche website

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Google Canadian Avalanche Blogs

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pick the correct info and wha La

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thats it lol

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I would imagine there will be more details coming out eventually. Not much info in that blog.My condolences to the families involved but I agree it's good to know as much as possible about conditions and how it happened.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would imagine there will be more details coming out eventually. Not much info in that blog.My condolences to the families involved but I agree it's good to know as much as possible about conditions and how it happened.

Yeah I dont know why they have to keep changing their site. I dont find it that user friendly. I couldnt find any info

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those asking about conditions, exactly what do you want to know that was not posted in the blog? I too believe the information is important to help educate others and avoid additional tragedy. I will help as much as I can although with incidents like this, the info just does not flood out, it was a fatal incident, there is no point in spewing hear say, so professionals will await a full report from the coroner.

Avalanche Canada has been discussing the mid-December facet/surface hoar interface which can be found buried 80-120 cm deep, although they say this layer has been showing signs of gaining strength recently. The challenge for the rider here is that this produces the typical low probability but high consequence scenario. The persistent problems can be difficult to understand as you may never see any activity until it is too late and some may let their guard down with the lack of witnessed activity. IMO from visiting the site, this was the sliding layer. The persistent problems simply need respect and the awareness of where they are and where they are not.

Many know this happened in Morning Glory in Clemina Creek on a NE aspect with a start zone incline of approximately 45degrees. Good runout with no real terrain traps.

In the forecaster blog, Ilya already discussed the likely cause and trigger and also addresses ways to try to avoid an event like this in the future, so I do not need to go there. Practice good habits and lower exposure at any opportunity.

Ride safe everyone.

Last edited:

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those asking about conditions, exactly what do you want to know that was not posted in the blog? I too believe the information is important to help educate others and avoid additional tragedy. I will help as much as I can although with incidents like this, the info just does not flood out, it was a fatal incident, there is no point in spewing hear say, so professionals will await a full report from the coroner.

Avalanche Canada has been discussing the mid-December facet/surface hoar interface which can be found buried 80-120 cm deep, although they say this layer has been showing signs of gaining strength recently. The challenge for the rider here is that this produces the typical low probability but high consequence scenario. The persistent problems can be difficult to understand as you may never see any activity until it is too late and some may let their guard down with the lack of witnessed activity. IMO from visiting the site, this was the sliding layer. The persistent problems simply need respect and the awareness of where they are and where they are not.

Many know this happened in Morning Glory in Clemina Creek on a NE aspect with a start zone incline of approximately 45degrees. Good runout with no real terrain traps.

In the forecaster blog, Ilya already discussed the likely cause and trigger and also addresses ways to try to avoid an event like this in the future, so I do not need to go there. Practice good habits and lower exposure at any opportunity.

Ride safe everyone.
Thank you. I've tried on four different devices to load the blog and it won't load.

Top Bottom