Avalanche fatality in Vale.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can I add....That this thread is to pay respect to our fallen fellow rider and not a place to point out there mistakes.

Tragic sad news and at a time that should be a joyful. I only hope that the families involved can find a way to see through the pain they are surely in.

Last edited:

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sad day!
Thanks to all those from SAR. CAA, Frozen ect who Devote their lives to making the hills safe for all of us and carrying out the necessary when things don't end so well!! So many of them silently bare the burdens of these incidents!

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sad day!
Thanks to all those from SAR. CAA, Frozen ect who Devote their lives to making the hills safe for all of us and carrying out the necessary when things don't end so well!! So many of them silently bare the burdens of these incidents!

Post of the week right here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can I add....That this thread is to pay respect to our fallen fellow rider and not a place to point out there mistakes.

Tragic sad news and at a time that should be a joyful. I only hope that the families involved can find a way to see through the pain they are surely in.

I respectfully disagree. If people start being rude or disrespectful towards the deceased.....then yes. But to discuss the details of the incident and the mistakes that were made is very important. Maybe its something that someone on here does all the time, and just doesnt realize its a bad thing? I remember being absolutely blown away by some of the stuff I learned at my first avalanche course. Or sadly, sometimes we need a reality check on some of the stuff that we know that we shouldnt do, but do anyways. Just my opinion.

My condolences to the family.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. If people start being rude or disrespectful towards the deceased.....then yes. But to discuss the details of the incident and the mistakes that were made is very important. Maybe its something that someone on here does all the time, and just doesnt realize its a bad thing? I remember being absolutely blown away by some of the stuff I learned at my first avalanche course. Or sadly, sometimes we need a reality check on some of the stuff that we know that we shouldnt do, but do anyways. Just my opinion.

How about leaving this thread for thoughts and condolences for those involved and start a new thread in The Av section to discuss the other aspects??

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Start a new thread, and discuss it there. The people involved have enough to deal with. I know in the past when victims find these threads with condolences it brings them warmth and to fill it full of the mistakes only brings more sorrow. Yes we can learn from it but start a new thread.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hotrod mentioned he heard there was an avalanche in Clemina. Possible injuries. Any details?
original post...

How about leaving this thread for thoughts and condolences for those involved and start a new thread in The Av section to discuss the other aspects??

who determines what the thread's purpose is? the posters or the OP? original poster starts thread asking for event details, everyone starts with their "my condolences" and hijacks the thread. why doesn't someone start a thread meant for condolences instead of chiding those that want information that could possibly save a life...

ponderous.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any names of the victims or where they are from yet? By now all the family would know.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
ThxBarry, good read!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It may not be released. Don't see anything in major media

I been looking to not a lot of info. Maybe there family was hard to reach like on a holiday so they wanted it not known.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Start a new thread, and discuss it there. The people involved have enough to deal with. I know in the past when victims find these threads with condolences it brings them warmth and to fill it full of the mistakes only brings more sorrow. Yes we can learn from it but start a new thread.

Again, gonna have to completely disagree.

What is going to mean more to the family of the deceased........a couple pages of the same consolatory comments from people that they dont know, or knowing that their loved ones mistake might save someone elses life?

In my 20 years of mountain snowmobiling there are 2 specific times that stand out when i SHOULD have died in an avalanche. Not could have....should have. Its a miracle that nothing bad happened, and I am very thankful for that. Basically playing in super dangerous areas with every single indicator (in hindsight, after training) that the whole area should have slid. If that would have happened what would have meant more to my family? A page or two of "my condolences", "thoughts and prayers", etc........or a healthy discussion on what I did wrong to help prevent someone else from making the same mistake? Its not disrespectful at all talking about it. I think its much worse not to.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Again, gonna have to completely disagree.

What is going to mean more to the family of the deceased........a couple pages of the same consolatory comments from people that they dont know, or knowing that their loved ones mistake might save someone elses life?

In my 20 years of mountain snowmobiling there are 2 specific times that stand out when i SHOULD have died in an avalanche. Not could have....should have. Its a miracle that nothing bad happened, and I am very thankful for that. Basically playing in super dangerous areas with every single indicator (in hindsight, after training) that the whole area should have slid. If that would have happened what would have meant more to my family? A page or two of "my condolences", "thoughts and prayers", etc........or a healthy discussion on what I did wrong to help prevent someone else from making the same mistake? Its not disrespectful at all talking about it. I think its much worse not to.

Which can be done in a seperate thread. Give it up. The fact that you keep coming back to this after being told to stop is very selfish.

2010m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seeing as I went through the same thing last year I would rather see 2 separate treads. Reading comments about thoughts and prayers was quite comforting and helpful. But having the negative comments or they could have should have comments could have been left to a separate tread. I know I am not forced to read the negative ones but still I think the involved shouldn't read negative to get at the positive comments. It took sometime before I could read all the comments so having separate I think may be better.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which can be done in a seperate thread. Give it up. The fact that you keep coming back to this after being told to stop is very selfish.

With all due respect , useful potentially life saving information is never selfish .....in fact far from it .
Chances are,it most likely resonates more deeply soon after the event of a tragedy .

My condolences ,and while I would think everyone has total respect , and the best interests of the victims in their hearts , they also would take a few moments to understand how these events unfold . As well as improve their odds if ever they found them selves in similar circumstances....
Take care ... Ride / drive & play safe !

Last edited:

driller

Reaction score
Condolences to the family, loved ones and friends of this man
i've been down this road this time of year there will be the why questions for a long time
but eventually you will have to ask where do we go from here and in that time I pray you will find strength to continue on

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree to disagree Deaner. It's a free world. I read the blog on the incident and I don't feel it needs to be discussed on public forums. The media eats that up. They made mistakes and it cost someone his life. I think disrespectful to talk about it when it can't be changed for them. Everybody else can read the blog and learn from it. Get trained it will save your life and probably somebody else's.

Top Bottom