Avalanche Death in Tumbler Ridge

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Monday, February 23, 2015 @ 3:07 PM
Tumbler Ridge, B.C. – RCMP have recovered the body of one person who died in an avalanche near Tumbler Ridge on the weekend.
Yesterday afternoon, Tumbler Ridge RCMP were advised there had been an avalanche that had trapped three of seven snowmobilers that had departed from Core Lodge.
The Provincial Emergency Program (PEP) was notified and resources were put together to conduct a search. PEP was able to obtain a Level two Avalanche Technician in the area to inspect the area before rescue operations could begin.
The level II Technician and an RCMP officer arrived back at the unloading area with 6 of the seven snowmobilers.
The individuals advised that they were able to rescue two out of the three that had been caught in the avalanche. Unfortunately, despite their best efforts to revive the third individual, he had succumbed to his injuries and they were not able to move him at that time.
Due to the threat of a second avalanche, it was not possible to recover the deceased until today.
The deceased has now been recovered from the scene. His name is not being released at this time.

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very sad news. Condolences to family and friends .
Please be careful out there everyone. There was others buried in other areas of the North Rockies this weekend.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My condolences go out too all!! It saddens me deeply when I hear stuff like this. And I'm not trying to say I know more then one guy to the next or the details that went on that horrible day. And I know that we all are at risk when we go out to the back country and some people will take more risks then others. But 3 people burried. This doesn't need to happen we shouldn't have to read about this. Let's go out get avalaunche training and if you have it get more. Practice it. And practice agin. Let's go out there let's have fun and come home. Watch for trerrain traps. Only put one person at risk at a time and ride with guys that you know if something heaven forbid happens they have the skills training and equipment to get you out of there and I know this may not happen either that's a risk we take. But the odds of getting one guy out with some trained people are a lot better then 3-4or 5. R.I.P

radar09

Reaction score
The man that we lost was a very experienced rider who rode as often as he could. He was a prominent well respected businessman in a small town, a family man, and will be sadly missed by our whole community.
From what I understand they were riding from one area to another and when they entered this bowl they didn't like the looks of the area they were in. They stopped to assess where to go next when he looked up the hill and saw the slide. Chris warned the others of the avalanche which allowed time for them to do their best to escape, unfortunately he did not make it.
Because of him there are men that came off of that mountain with their lives and were able to go home to their young families. Chris was one of the best riders with the most mountain experience and avalanche training and gear I knew and safety was always a priority with him.
Although this tragedy will hurt everyone who knew him, it serves as a reminder that even the best sometimes can't predict what will happen when they leave the parking lot.
Chris died doing what he loved and he died a hero for saving other lives that day. We'll miss you!!! R.I.P

o zone guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my heart and mind is with him and his family and everyone involved support

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we were in the area the day this happened , snow was for the most part very hard ,spring like conditions ,no signs of slips any where . the bowl where this took place is nw of the back meadows ,we used to call it the heli bowl back in the old days . only way out is the same way you come in .straight over .. helped with a search and rescue there a couple years ago ,fellow dropped in and could'nt get out .spent the night in the canyon down below . for the most part the Quintette mountains are pretty forgiving and easy to get along with .but they have some nasty secrets . please be careful .prayers for family and friends ..RIP

Top Bottom