AV gas.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its hard on carb O-rings and gaskets in the carbs. We rebuild annually as gaskets swell and o-rings shrink/harden. lean out, leak, boom.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you said I read it doesn’t have a good shelf life either :/ just the opposite. a friend that has 12 old sleds puts that in them and they all start right up next yr or 3 yrs later.

Interesting, goes to show there’s lots of false info on the ol interweb.

I dont understand why people feel the need to lie about stuff..../rant

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks Alex, I’ll just keep in Jerry’s then. My outty seems to only like crap fuel, perhaps I could throw some in my cbr...give it a little more pep lol

In the tank eh, I had a retired yami tech tell me that it eats up fuel lines etc, and that he always saw turbo sleds in the shop before the season began because av was left in them causing them to not start/idle like garbage.

Currently my sled has half a tank of boost juice/AV, I still plan on taking it for one or two more rides to get it dialed in for next season....or I may just run her on the stand with the hose running on the tunnel lol

Interesting, goes to show there’s lots of false info on the ol interweb.

I dont understand why people feel the need to lie about stuff..../rant

I've left AvGas in my sled full time for the last 5 years, haven't had to replace a fuel system component yet. Oh wait, I changed the fuel filter once.

From what I understand avgas has a certified shelf life of 1 year, this is what commercial operators using the stuff for aircraft must abide by. More of a liability thing for aircraft really. There have been tests done on 5+ year old avgas that has only lost 1 or 2 octane numbers in that time. The concern comes from it being exposed to oxygen which helps it form gums and varnishes, as well as the eventual accumulation of moisture in the fuel.

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
thanks Alex, I’ll just keep in Jerry’s then. My outty seems to only like crap fuel, perhaps I could throw some in my cbr...give it a little more pep lol

In the tank eh, I had a retired yami tech tell me that it eats up fuel lines etc, and that he always saw turbo sleds in the shop before the season began because av was left in them causing them to not start/idle like garbage.

Currently my sled has half a tank of boost juice/AV, I still plan on taking it for one or two more rides to get it dialed in for next season....or I may just run her on the stand with the hose running on the tunnel lol

Did the retired yammi tech actually retire or was he fired for being dumb. Av gas eats fuel lines? Fawk, someone better the FAA and transport Canada. Planes will be falling out of the sky every day all over the world.

fyi-when I learn that someone is a “sled” tech, I automatically give them zero cred. They are so dumb and have no problem so solving ability. Too funny.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my friend with the 12 sleds has used Premium gas in his oldest 95 Storm 800 since it was new. he adds 2 cups of Amsoil to the fuel tank plus the stock injection is retained too. has about 4500 miles on original motor. his fastest and favorite sled is a 2000 AC 1000 Triple Thundercat 121 with about 8600 on original motor ,so he must be doing something right.when ready to store them he adds AV gas and runs em around till its nice and stinky.. my 93 Indy 500 EFI had about 15,000 miles on original motor with Premium gas and oil added to each tank too. i dont fall in love with my sleds like John does. he has good paying log hauling business.im just a lonely old mechanic..lol who buys and sells a few a yr.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did the retired yammi tech actually retire or was he fired for being dumb. Av gas eats fuel lines? Fawk, someone better the FAA and transport Canada. Planes will be falling out of the sky every day all over the world.

fyi-when I learn that someone is a “sled” tech, I automatically give them zero cred. They are so dumb and have no problem so solving ability. Too funny.

Suppose I’m way to gullible I guess haha

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my friend with the 12 sleds has used Premium gas in his oldest 95 Storm 800 since it was new. he adds 2 cups of Amsoil to the fuel tank plus the stock injection is retained too. has about 4500 miles on original motor. his fastest and favorite sled is a 2000 AC 1000 Triple Thundercat 121 with about 8600 on original motor ,so he must be doing something right.when ready to store them he adds AV gas and runs em around till its nice and stinky.. my 93 Indy 500 EFI had about 15,000 miles on original motor with Premium gas and oil added to each tank too. i dont fall in love with my sleds like John does. he has good paying log hauling business.im just a lonely old mechanic..lol who buys and sells a few a yr.

Adding the oil is likely what is keeping his sleds alive. The older motors were also built more robust. The reduced oiling and increased RPM is what is killing the new sleds, but all manufacturers have to cut emissions so they've turned down the oiling and in the end, the consumer pays for a new motor at 3000 kms. Manufacturer doesn't care one bit. The fuel injection systems are so advanced that they meter better and atomize better and get more of a complete burn from the fuel, and therefore don't leave anything behind (i.e. oil) to lubricate the parts. The tolerances on the new motors are so much tighter and they run hotter and therefore they need the extra lubrication, but they don't get it.

Top Bottom