AV Gas(100ll) shelf life?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only "side effect" I've ever had with AV gas is the insides of the carbs get stained green....

ratatatat

Reaction score
Well I don't agree it's not lead. I've not seen it but feel it's most certainly lead. I run an aircraft that was designed to run on an older grade fuel that is no longer available. Lead contamination on valves and plugs is a real issue. It is managed by careful leaning. Aircraft have a manual mixture control and egt to set mixture. Even with careful egt / mixture control you still dig lead out of your plugs every 25 to 50 hrs of operation. If its not lead what else would it be?

Sparx

Reaction score
What makes the AV gas lead which is supposed to be low lead LL worse than the Race gas lead? I'll just be sure to check my plugs more often.

What color is everyone's AV gas? The stuff I bought is blue and from Flight Fuels.

ratatatat

Reaction score
The color is tied to the fuel type so it can be identified by a visual check. Done after fuel up or before flight. If what you drain out isn't blue (clear) you likely have a bunch of water in there. Happens

Blue - 100LL
Green - 100/130
Pretty much all that is available these days is 100LL

The stain left behind will vary from a blue to blue green color. Used to identify fuel leaks.

Top Bottom