AV Gas(100ll) shelf life?

venom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got a full drum of premixed 40.1 av gas that i bought at the beginning of november last year. its sealed and hasn't been opened since it was filled. still any good ya think? don't know what the shelf life is on this stuff.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got a full drum of premixed 40.1 av gas that i bought at the beginning of november last year. its sealed and hasn't been opened since it was filled. still any good ya think? don't know what the shelf life is on this stuff.

the guy i buy mine from says just shake it up and all's good. why did ya premix a barrel?

venom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the guy i buy mine from says just shake it up and all's good. why did ya premix a barrel?
did a injection oil delete last year and i run straight av gas. i actually bought 2drums of it and premixed both. didn't get as many trips to the mountains as i had planned, so got 1 left over.

thanks

lagrek

Reaction score
Guarantee the oil will seperate after awhile of sitting, dont think the av gas will be bad but better shake the chit out of it

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
chopper outfits leave that stuff out in the bush for a year and still use it so i'm positive its fine!!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
chopper outfits leave that stuff out in the bush for a year and still use it so i'm positive its fine!!

wrong. Chopper fuel is Jet fuel. Hi grade kerosene. not the same at all. Much less volatile and therefore much more stable.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wrong. Chopper fuel is Jet fuel. Hi grade kerosene. not the same at all. Much less volatile and therefore much more stable.
Nope, not all choppers run jet engines there cowboy!! They run avgas 100 LL. Also mixed into the Jet fuel for cold weather. The R44 is still pretty popular, cause its cheap.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope, not all choppers run jet engines there cowboy!! They run avgas 100 LL. Also mixed into the Jet fuel for cold weather. The R44 is still pretty popular, cause its cheap.

your right there, the R44 is a popular machine but it runs a Lycoming engine, 4 stroke reciprocating engine. as far as I know they don't add gasoline to turbine engine fuel. If I'm not mistaken most Jet turbines run JP 8 which is a hi grade kerosene. the may ad add methane or napthalene to decrease the flash point for winter usage.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your right there, the R44 is a popular machine but it runs a Lycoming engine, 4 stroke reciprocating engine. as far as I know they don't add gasoline to turbine engine fuel. If I'm not mistaken most Jet turbines run JP 8 which is a hi grade kerosene. the may ad add methane or napthalene to decrease the flash point for winter usage.

JP 8 is military spec. They use it in everything from the jet engines to the trucks to the camp stoves. It the one size fits all. Yes 100LL is added to jet fuel when needed for cold weather use.
Anyway in the bush aircraft business there are lots of barrels of av gas out there. They are left for a long time, under a tree in the middle of nowhere. There isnt a problem with storing av gas.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
JP 8 is military spec. They use it in everything from the jet engines to the trucks to the camp stoves. It the one size fits all. Yes 100LL is added to jet fuel when needed for cold weather use.
Anyway in the bush aircraft business there are lots of barrels of av gas out there. They are left for a long time, under a tree in the middle of nowhere. There isnt a problem with storing av gas.

x2...................

venom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys..
Last year was my first year running this stuff, so i don't know much about it. But What I do know, is it's a lot cheaper that race gas and the sled ran flawless.:beer:

Core

Reaction score
was just reading your thread on the AV gas, I have an 08 M1 with BD turbo, ran VP 111 last year and was wondering about running AV gas instead this year. You haven't had any issues with it?

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
The guy I buy my AV gas from said it will last 10 years if stored properly. He has a 22000 liter tank of it. If you already poured in the oil I would definetly shake it up good. We run some pretty big Iron on av gas.Awsome stuff.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was just reading your thread on the AV gas, I have an 08 M1 with BD turbo, ran VP 111 last year and was wondering about running AV gas instead this year. You haven't had any issues with it?

Av gas burns drier (100"LL" means "Low Lead"). Race Gas typically is leaded and has a little more control on things like the specific gravity of the fuel, it's just produced slightly more consistently with less variation. Also race gas is not stored in tanks at airports and subjected to possibilty of moisture entering it like av gas is. Doesn't really mean much, if it was me I would add a little more oil to the av gas than I would to race gas but run both.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Av gas burns drier (100"LL" means "Low Lead"). Race Gas typically is leaded and has a little more control on things like the specific gravity of the fuel, it's just produced slightly more consistently with less variation. Also race gas is not stored in tanks at airports and subjected to possibilty of moisture entering it like av gas is. Doesn't really mean much, if it was me I would add a little more oil to the av gas than I would to race gas but run both.

AV gas is actually regulated pretty strict. They must test there fuel monthly for contaminets as aviation is federally regulated.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AV gas is actually regulated pretty strict. They must test there fuel monthly for contaminets as aviation is federally regulated.

Yeah but the tolerances are still not as stringent as race fuel specs for production and/or storage. Yes av gas cannot exceed so much moisture etc, but race gas comes in sealed drums from the factory and is not as exposed/transferred as much, nor is the contamination as high. Race gas is better fuel IMO, but that's also why it costs way more too.

People will tell you that they are virtually identical but walk around the pits at a big drag race event like the Gator Nationals and you do not see anyone pouring av gas into their $250,000 dragster. If you still don't believe it just ask any pro-stock/top fuel engine builder what fuel they recommend you run .......;) LOL

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah but the tolerances are still not as stringent as race fuel specs for production and/or storage. Yes av gas cannot exceed so much moisture etc, but race gas comes in sealed drums from the factory and is not as exposed/transferred as much, nor is the contamination as high. Race gas is better fuel IMO, but that's also why it costs way more too.

People will tell you that they are virtually identical but walk around the pits at a big drag race event like the Gator Nationals and you do not see anyone pouring av gas into their $250,000 dragster. If you still don't believe it just ask any pro-stock/top fuel engine builder what fuel they recommend you run .......;) LOL

last time I checked....you cant compare 90% nitromethane and 10% methanol (also known as racing alcohol) to Av gas! LOL that is what top fuel runs lol.........man I wish I could burn that lol! it sounds fast just saying it lol. but if you go to the local track and want to see some street cars that race.......you will see alot of AV gas and home made fuels for boosted engines..........dont need to pay $4 a liter! Av gas and VP are not the same.......VP is more money...

Last edited:

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is like beating a dead horse.......I run Av gas and will continue to run it....Zero problems and only $1.45 a liter compared to $4 plus a liter for VP!

let the old horse die!

Top Bottom