Automotive spring tester??

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can pick up a relatively inexpensive automotive spring tester. Time to find out the truth on some of these springs clutch I have laying around.

Thanks

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
anyone know where i can pick up a relatively inexpensive automotive spring tester. Time to find out the truth on some of these springs clutch i have laying around.

Thanks

not sure what ya mean......... Do you have an example, and i can look through all my tool supplier cataloges........ What design you after, zrrrr?

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I searched around today and I did find one but when I looked at the specs it can only do a spring up to 2 inches in diameter and 4 1/2 in length. I would need one that can do longer and that puts it into the thousands. I might nose around to see if I can find one to borrow maybe.

Mr. Summitric....it is called a valve spring compression tester, which would work for some springs, but not all that I have.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
well i searched around today and i did find one but when i looked at the specs it can only do a spring up to 2 inches in diameter and 4 1/2 in length. I would need one that can do longer and that puts it into the thousands. I might nose around to see if i can find one to borrow maybe.

Mr. Summitric....it is called a valve spring compression tester, which would work for some springs, but not all that i have.

hey zrrrr. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that has a valve spring pressure tester anymore. Cheaper to replace automotive valve springs than spend time dooing all the proper tests on a valve spring, to assure its durability. Any spring, even titanium springs will loose some pressure over the years(however, titanium springs only loose about .5% each year, wheras a regular spring looses somewhere in the area of 15% a year???). Let me know how you made out searching to borrow, or even find a spring pressure tester.........

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are testing coil springs for auto suspensions, just put them on a hydraulic press and see how much force it takes to compress them one inch. You should be in the ballpark that way.

Top Bottom