ATV's on public roads?

Snohog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Howdy folks.... I'm just curious here if anyone knows the rules and regulations about riding ATV's on the gravel roads of leduc and wetaskwin county? I've heard a couple stories and just wondering if anyone knows for sure if they are allowed on the road long as they have all working lights an papers, or if they are restricted to the ditches, or not at all??

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Howdy folks.... I'm just curious here if anyone knows the rules and regulations about riding ATV's on the gravel roads of leduc and wetaskwin county? I've heard a couple stories and just wondering if anyone knows for sure if they are allowed on the road long as they have all working lights an papers, or if they are restricted to the ditches, or not at all??

No public roads or ditches in Alberta.

Snohog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know leduc country allows ditches. But that's all I know

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No public roads or ditches in Alberta.

That's a big wrong

Up here it's allowed, but said atv'r must where a helmet and possess valid insurance and registration. If you must cross a controlled road highway/secondary, it must be done in the least amount of time and most direct route,.. I can ditch bang up here all day long,.. but why, it's boring unless you're on a sled.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
https://www.county.wetaskiwin.ab.ca/municipal/cntywtsk/cntywtsk-website.nsf/AllDoc/16AC1DAE05A09A00872579F200781307/$File/bl201213.pdf

https://www.county.wetaskiwin.ab.ca/municipal/cntywtsk/cntywtsk-website.nsf/AllDoc/16AC1DAE05A09A00872579F200781307/$File/bl201213.pdf

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Not sure why that won't show up as a link.
Even tried it twice???

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
It is technically illegal everywhere.... Some counties allow it / turn a blind eye. Same as sledding in the ditches. Use respect and know what county your in and you should be fine. Strathcona and sturgeon I hear Enforce the no OHV law

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snohog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if I'm reading that correctly, if I follow the regulations I am allowed to operate on a country road?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So if I'm reading that correctly, if I follow the regulations I am allowed to operate on a country road?

Google the county you are going to ride and check out their by-laws BEFORE you go. When the flashing red and blues start flashing its to late to wonder.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I moved here the county sent us a packet. One of the sheets went over ohv use in the area. You are to stay to the right side of the road as far as possible, insurance and registration and well as a headlight and tail light. Speed must be under 30km/h. So if the county sends that out I would assume it is legal here.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In Beaver County you can legally ride down any road as long as its not a double or single digit hwy because those are controlled by the govt.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talked to the rcmp guys on the long weekend in may, out buy outwest campground. They told us Atv's are not allowed on numbered hwys in Alberta. Paved or graveled. That also means the ditches, whether there are existing tracks along the ditches or not. Gravelled roads not having a hwy number, you must ride with traffic, speed limits at 30km per hr, visible licence plate, legal lights front n rear. Each county sets its own rules in it's area. Rcmp said they can't be everywhere, but they can give ya some nice fancy paperwork. Find out the laws for your riding area or risk fines, confiscation and areas being shut down

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I suggest reading the Leduc bylaws instead of blindly trusting what's posted here. Here's a link to the Leduc County OHV bylaws:

OPERATING RESTRICTIONS
3. No person is authorized to operate an Off-Highway Vehicle on any highway under the
direction, management and control of the County except as specifically provided for
within the Bylaw.
4. Off-Highway Vehicles are permitted to travel in single file in the ditches of County
Highways, using the parking lane or where there is no parking lane, the extreme right­
hand side of the roadway for as short a distance as required to bypass any hazard or
obstacle in the ditch; and, shall move in the same direction as the vehicle travelling on
that side of such highway.
(a) If an Off-Highway Vehicle has to use the park'ing lane or where there is no
parking lane, the extreme right-hand side of the roadway to bypass any hazard or
obstacle in the ditch:
i. The operator shall stop the Off-Highway Vehicle before entering onto the
parking lane or extreme right-hand side of roadway and,
ii. The operator shall yield the right-of way to all other vehicles and persons
on the hig,hway

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And here's a link to the Alberta Traffic Safety Act: http://www.aohva.com/pdf/Alberta-Traffic-Safety-Act.pdf

Her's a snippet, but I recommend reading the entire section on off highway vehicles:
in the case of any highway or class of highway that is under the direction, control and management of a
municipality, the council of the municipality may by
bylaw authorize or issue a permit authorizing persons to
drive off-highway vehicles along any portion of that
highway;

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Parkland county allows it on range roads and townships road but there are a bunch of rules including wearing a helmet and having a drivers lisence which means you must be at least 16.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Parkland county allows it on range roads and townships road but there are a bunch of rules including wearing a helmet and having a drivers lisence which means you must be at least 16.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Parkland County OHV Bylaw:

Top Bottom