argos

Kaeli Khaos

Reaction score
Hello.
So i have been doing a bunch of research to try to help me decide what exactly i want to do.
i am interested in an argo, an older one. pref no older than 84. but hopefully 88+.

I have been informed that many people who buy an argo realize they dont need an argo for their duties, and a quad would do fine. or just forget the whole venture, and the argos are left to sit on rural properties all over the place.
I am hoping to extend my search parameters to include alberta and bc with the help of you fine folks.

Im asking if anyone spots an argo just sitting, or if someone knows a guy who knows a guy...to please get i touch with me with either an address, or phone number, or general location of the argo. I am looking to pick up for free or cheap, but am willing to drop some money on the right machine.(ideally trying to get a bunch of parts, or semi working stuff to build a project argo)

i also have no problem approaching a random to ask about something like this.
Now i would also like to ask anyone who owns/knows some one tht owns an argo to give me some advice.

(sorry fir the long post)
Are they reliable, i have heard as long as maintenance is done there are no issues really. but have also heard that "i would love it if i could drive it for more than 10 mins" kind of headaches. Im assuming most people who have it constantly on jacks arent taking care of it.

what years to avoid, ,main problems for specific models/years, general estimate of repair cost for main parts that go, parts availability, laws regarding registration, displaying a license plate, how th insurance company sees it,how much to insure/register/ (boat or atv) and generally any other pointers to help a fellow aatv fanatic and soon to be owner.

again sorry for the long post, thanks for reading if you read it all, and thanks in advance for the help im sure i will receive:)
for anything private, (sales, leads, info)please email me. Kaelikhaos@gmail.com

Megrizzly

Reaction score
I'll save you a bunch of frustration, time, and money. Argo's have been out for I'm betting 30 years and only very recently have they built a machine that is worth looking at. The older ones lacked in the power department and were simply not built heavy enough, especially for running tracks. For basically all argos unto about 2010, figure on 2 hours of work for every 1 hour you ride it. Some parts, such as tires since they are odd-ball sized are quite difficult to find and are quite expensive. Don't even think of taking one out on tires since any decent atv with a good set of tires will outperform one.

I'll put it to you and all other individuals interested in an argo. Buy brand new, put tracks on and get rid of them every few years. For crossing vast areas of muskeg or creeks while hauling gear, they are great. I have to deal with all the argo "hype" from my neighbours who collectively have 3 fairly new ones, yet they have a serious problem or breakage on a good 50% of their trips.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree getting to be dinasours vintage. Buddy had them and always had breakdowns

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our's was pretty reliable, but the ride left something to be desired. Get kidney belt for your back.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you drive them like a grandpa than they are very reliable. Keep the chains lubed, don't let it fill with rain water. From what I've seen they can be very reliable. We have 3 in the family, they go where quads can't in floating muskeg... Shear pins are a thing of the past, avoid those ones. I think they stopped making them mid 90's? Double check this. I'd avoid any type of oilfield ones, I ran a company Argo over a summer and bagged it good...

Kaeli Khaos

Reaction score
i plan on keeping it garaged and ok avoid shear pins got it. i dont plan on bagging it , just using it as it was designed for. thanks for the replys. more info always welcomed.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can stay above the 2004 model year (evenger) Bigger rubber and a lot of improvements. I have a 2004 and has been great without any problems but don't have a pile of hrs .
For camping trips and packing a lot of weight they can't be beat on wet and crappy trails. If running empty they can be rough but you have to weight them down.

Attachments

• Redfern lake argo trip 003.jpg
    Redfern lake argo trip 003.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Redfern lake argo trip 177.jpg
    Redfern lake argo trip 177.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good machine, but very high maintenance. Lack in the maintenance and you'll always be fixing it.

Top Bottom