Are the freerides that much stronger than the 163 summit

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes they are. Reinforced suspensions and top of the food chain shock packages.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are. Extra chassis bracing Aswell. However they don't handle like a summit so don't go in the wrong direction. A summit can take a ton of abuse Aswell

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends where you ride. My buddy lives in NS and they are all trail riders. Ski-doos just fall apart over there with how many miles they put on. They ride Yamaha.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends where you ride. My buddy lives in NS and they are all trail riders. Ski-doos just fall apart over there with how many miles they put on. They ride Yamaha.

They probably don't even have Polaris dealers out there then. What would be the use? They are worse than Doo..:rolleyes:

DingoNutz

Reaction score
They are. Extra chassis bracing Aswell. However they don't handle like a summit so don't go in the wrong direction. A summit can take a ton of abuse Aswell

Which sled would hold up better for a bigger rider, say 6'4" and 250lbs. I always wanted to get a sled, but am worried how they would hold up when they seem to be designed with a 150-175lbs. rider in mind?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which sled would hold up better for a bigger rider, say 6'4" and 250lbs. I always wanted to get a sled, but am worried how they would hold up when they seem to be designed with a 150-175lbs. rider in mind?

You are right they deffinetly are setup for that weight range. I've seen some big guys struggle on the freeride though and it only comes in 154. If you do mostly mountain deep snow riding I hight suggest the summit 163 and then just throw a set of stiffer springs in the rear and maybe some running board stiffeners. Won't have any problems after that. The new freeride in XM chassis does handle better than its xp predecessor but keep in mind it is still designed for the backcountry free rider that hits huge bumps jumps and drops. It is NOT a tree riding boondocking machine. I've seen far to many people disappointed in there freeride because they don't like how it handles and purchased it because it was stronger.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new 2014 freeride handles alot better than the 2013,, no comparison at all,, A buddy has one already and its sick.

It will be mountain sled of the year IMO.

I have one coming,, I really thought about the X, But then I was going to have to brace it up more
and spend 3gs on shocks so freeride it is.

The thing boondocks awesome,, I garrentee I will have No problems keeping up to a 163x in the trees.

(I got a 174 also just in case..lol)

Last edited:

Assaulter13

Reaction score
The new 2014 freeride handles alot better than the 2013,, no comparison at all,, A buddy has one already and its sick.

It will be mountain sled of the year IMO.

I have one coming,, I really thought about the X, But then I was going to have to brace it up more
and spend 3gs on shocks so freeride it is.

The thing boondocks awesome,, I garrentee I will have No problems keeping up to a 163x in the trees.

(I got a 174 also just in case..lol)

Hmmm. That sounds suspect. Where did you get the 174 from? I assume it is a Pro Ride?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. That sounds suspect. Where did you get the 174 from? I assume it is a Pro Ride?

173 my bad,, acctually dont even have the track yet,, Was planing on puting one on my 880 163xp.
Might trade the sled tho and get a cutler turbo 1000 cat instead.

I was going to build a turbo XM for next season then decided it would be better to have 2sleds.

One for climbing and one for every thing else....

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was tempted to sno check the 154" and throw a 156" x 3" track under it!

The 2.5 flex edge track works really good and you'll loose some of the ease of riding by switching tracks..my 2cents:beer:

Top Bottom