TRA clutch

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picked up rebuild kit for sons 14 freeride. The bushing is shorter than the old one. Also it's ID is a hair bigger than the old ones OD. Is this an update. Also a snap ring in kit. I haven't seen that on any other ones.
17022306610902044363415826699894.jpg
17022306891513044841429492441197.jpg

gofast89

Reaction score
??? That “old bushing” was pressed into the sliding sheave? Looks more like the stopper that is in with the spring. The “new” bushing is definitely the sliding half bushing. And there is definitely a snap ring in with it yes. And should use 680 or 681 loctite installing the new one as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picked up rebuild kit for sons 14 freeride. The bushing is shorter than the old one. Also it's ID is a hair bigger than the old ones OD. Is this an update. Also a snap ring in kit. I haven't seen that on any other ones. View attachment 276794View attachment 276795
The big one is a stopper, not a bushing. It is for stopping the moveable half from hitting the fixed half. The bushing is for the moveable half, there is clip you need to remove. I would suggest changing that might be beyond your capability. There is a special tool for extracting then installation of that bushing. There is a long list of guys that have tried to do it themselves with a bad ending.

That bushing is critical for the clutch to work properly, often over looked because of the difficulty. Measuring the clearance also a challenge, anything over .006 will cause inconsistent shift.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you talking the bushing in the cup? He got a new cup with bushing installed. The 2 pieces in the pictures are the old stopper and supposedly the new stopper but I have never seen one like that before

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you talking the bushing in the cup? He got a new cup with bushing installed. The 2 pieces in the pictures are the old stopper and supposedly the new stopper but I have never seen one like that before
No, the stopper is never supplied.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you think the thin one is a new bushing for in the cup? It was part of the kit with rollers pins and sliders and O rings. If it is then I guess it is not used with having a new cup as well.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you think the thin one is a new bushing for in the cup? It was part of the kit with rollers pins and sliders and O rings. If it is then I guess it is not used with having a new cup as well.
That bushing is for the sliding sheeve, basically the opposite end of where the spring cup is. This bushing goes between the sliding sheeve and the fixed sheeve shaft that extends into the spring cup. As CTD there is a weird little metal retainer in there. Once that's out you can press it out.

I've never changed those myself, don't have the right tool for it.

The bushing is Part #10 on the 2015 parts fiche on BRP website

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what came in the kit. I have just never had that thin piece or snap ring in any other kits I have bought.
17022452463255486656561309729136.jpg

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just seems like maybe wrong kit to me. I've rebuilt the one on my 07 and 13 a few times and never saw that ring. The pins look too small as well. There is lots of play between them and rollers.

Thanks for all your input guys. Appreciate it.
His old puns are hollow and these are not. Also no hole for cotter pin.
17022455157114641963724640578503.jpg

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have the correct kit, you just don’t know what your doing.

Those pins are for the TRA arms, not the rollers

The od is bigger because most people never broke them in correctly and wipe out the bushing first ride

The snap ring is a spiral lock style, snap rings come out but the spiral lock ones don’t and take more thrust forces than a snap ring.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well ok. I am no sled mechanic I admit it but I know we did not get the parts we needed
Not sure what your looking for but that is the standard and only rebuild kit offered by skidoo. Anything past those pieces are individual parts you need to buy.

Having done tons of TRA rebuilds, typically that kit will cover 90% of the crowd. Some people need new TRA arms as the bushings were shot in them.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just seems like maybe wrong kit to me. I've rebuilt the one on my 07 and 13 a few times and never saw that ring. The pins look too small as well. There is lots of play between them and rollers.

Thanks for all your input guys. Appreciate it.
His old puns are hollow and these are not. Also no hole for cotter pin.View attachment 276802
Those pins are not the ones that go through the rollers. They go in the governor cup and hold the ramps in place.

Jump on BRP's website and have a look at the parts break down.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I tried looking for the parts breakdown earlier and could not for the life of me find it. I was able to get it to come up now and I see what yous are talking about. I will check it out again tmrw.

Again. Thx to all

Dynamo^Joe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The part name for this is a bushing. It should be called a "Pilot bushing"
The purpose of the bushing is to prevent the sheaves touching each other at full shift, high speed, full overdrive.
when that #33 is removed and someone takes the vehicle out to top speed or below top speed, the sheaves can touch together and cause galling at the bottom of the primary clutch.
Bushing BRP#417223471

galling_1.jpg

primary_galling_1.jpeg

galling_22.jpg

Last edited:

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That spacer (33) did not come in the kit but the first 2 from left in that diagram did. Those were what I was wondering about. Son has not brought his clutch over yet to look into again.

Top Bottom