Are people really that...well let's be kind and say STUPID

fhe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[h=1]Restaurants fear losses if drunk driving laws toughened[/h]A spokesperson for the food service industry says tougher drunk driving laws will scare people into just staying home.

Alberta Premier Alison Redford said recently she is considering introducing strict new laws for impaired driving, such as those in B.C.
In that province, police can immediately suspend a licence for three days and impound a vehicle on a first offence if the driver has a blood-alcohol level of .05 per cent or higher.
That's lower than the criminal code bar of .08 per cent, which is the rule in Alberta.
But B.C. restaurants have seen a drop in business due to the lower limit there, said Mark von Schellwitz, who is the Western Canada vice president of the Canadian Restaurant and Foodservices Association.
“The .05 legislation in British Columbia … really scared a lot of consumers. And there’s a lot of fear and a lack of knowledge to what that really means,” he said.
Von Schellwitz said restaurant owners have been “calling his office non-stop” to voice their opposition lowering the blood-alcohol limit in Alberta.

MAYBE THEY SHOULD TALK TO THE UNFORTUNATE FAMILIES IN GRANDE PRAIRIE!!!!!

OH God, stop the world and let me off!!

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lowering the limit isnt the issue. im sure that kid was completely bombed. not .05 or 0.08. stricter penaltys need to be implied to scare people from drinking and driving. how about never getting your licence back? might make you think twice about hoping in your vehicle.
That's exactly it. They get to have the right to drive in a very short time. In the last 2 weeks I have to to 4 collision involving impared drivers. Luckily they only hurt themselves. From what the police told me they had a blood alcohol test 3 times over .08.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think a lower limit would would solve the issue or have helped the kids from grand prarie. most people that drink and drive are probaly over .08 anyway they just have to get caught thats the issue.

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heard the 21 year old was 3 times the limit.

on a seperate note, statisically there is a very good chance he will commit suicide within 10 years

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Getting tired of having to cheat on your taxes?????

Its simple put blow boxes in all registrered vehicles as part of your right to drive. There problem solved. Maybe I should run for Premier. Then I could legalize marijuana and prostitution too.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[h=1]Restaurants fear losses if drunk driving laws toughened[/h]A spokesperson for the food service industry says tougher drunk driving laws will scare people into just staying home.

Alberta Premier Alison Redford said recently she is considering introducing strict new laws for impaired driving, such as those in B.C.
In that province, police can immediately suspend a licence for three days and impound a vehicle on a first offence if the driver has a blood-alcohol level of .05 per cent or higher.
That's lower than the criminal code bar of .08 per cent, which is the rule in Alberta.
But B.C. restaurants have seen a drop in business due to the lower limit there, said Mark von Schellwitz, who is the Western Canada vice president of the Canadian Restaurant and Foodservices Association.
“The .05 legislation in British Columbia … really scared a lot of consumers. And there’s a lot of fear and a lack of knowledge to what that really means,” he said.
Von Schellwitz said restaurant owners have been “calling his office non-stop” to voice their opposition lowering the blood-alcohol limit in Alberta.

MAYBE THEY SHOULD TALK TO THE UNFORTUNATE FAMILIES IN GRANDE PRAIRIE!!!!!

OH God, stop the world and let me off!!
Personally I think the stupid people are the ones that think that punishing people for having a couple beers is going to keep those that are really causing the accidents, those that are well over the current LEGAL limit, from driving. It's no different than the gun registry. Punish the ones causing the problems, NOT those that are not.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's brutal in this province now. People are afraid to drive after a pint of beer or glass of wine with dinner. And if you have two well then you are calling a taxi so add another $20-$40 to your cost of going out for dinner not to mention the hassle of getting your vehicle the next day.

The accidents aren't caused by people that go out for dinner and want to enjoy a drink before you eat and one with your meal. They are cause by sh!theads that go to the pub/bar/club/party and drink hard then think they are a f*cking superhero and try to drive to taco bell, home, etc.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine in Fort St. John said they allow the cops to use their own discretion. So now they stalk people who leave licensed resturants and impound their vehicle and levi huge fines for having just one glass of wine with supper. He says the restaurants are slowly going out of business because everyone is scared to go out and have a glass of wine with their meal so they just stay home. Between all the stupid txting instead of a good old phone conversaton and now people not going out to socialize I think we are going to turn our society into a whole civilization of stay at home and don't talk to anyone loners. Sad.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's brutal in this province now. People are afraid to drive after a pint of beer or glass of wine with dinner. And if you have two well then you are calling a taxi so add another $20-$40 to your cost of going out for dinner not to mention the hassle of getting your vehicle the next day.

The accidents aren't caused by people that go out for dinner and want to enjoy a drink before you eat and one with your meal. They are cause by sh!theads that go to the pub/bar/club/party and drink hard then think they are a f*cking superhero and try to drive to taco bell, home, etc.
I have relatives in 100 mile and was out there this summer. You are bang on ,it is breaking their fragile economy even more now. Kind of a death blow to the restaurants etc etc. I IN NO WAY condone drinking and driving ,however when one can not have A beer or wine with supper with out putting your career on the line ,something has gone to far.....BC is much further along on these idiotic rules that the government insists we should live by,but we will shortly follow i am afraid......
If i take my RZR down the street to my buddy`s i might get it impounded...........We were in lake Havasu (Arizona) and counted numerous Side x sides going thru the drive thru at Mcdonald`s............Have we gone to far ........sadly yes !

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Australia has a legal limit of .05 and they seem to have a thriving restaurant industry. This is going to kill the food service industry just like the smoking laws caused the closure of all the bars and restaurants in Alberta.......
  • Drivers with a BAC above 0.05 but below the legal limit are 7.2 times more likely to be in a fatal collision than drivers with a zero BAC.
  • In 2005, 16.7% of drinking drivers killed in Ontario had a BAC less than 0.08.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/impaired/fact-sheet.shtml

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If people don't go out because they can't drink, they have a lot more issues then that and need something called AA. If your life is THAT affected by alcohol you have a issue, plenty of people can go out and not have a drink. Having one with dinner will not put you over I am sure.

If 0.05 is a lot more likely to cause accidents then that is a good thing to drop the limit to. I think the biggest thing they need to do is nail people to the wall when they are caught over. Like manditory 1 year in jail for first offence. How many people would risk it then?

No reason in the world to drive drunk or even near the limit. If you can't go out and not drink just stay at home then, to bad! Or pony up for another ride home. Many people can spend $100+ on booze but not a few bucks on a cab? Somethings wrong.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
personally i think a lot of the time "alcohol was a factor" is just thrown out there way to loosely. No doubt it can be a factor but sometimes i really wonder. Latest example is this crash in gp. The car got t-boned while pulling onto the highway leaving the party. Are you going to argue that the only reason the pickup hit the car was because the driver was impaired? I'd like to see you go from 120km/hr to 0 in less than a second even while sober. The driver fled the seen so he probably had something to hide but you get the point.

The whole lowering the legal limit is BS. personally i have no idea what my blood alcohol level ever is. all i know is that after "x" amount of beer in "x" amount of time i can tell it might be a good time to reassess the situation. I know going for a big steak supper, that lasts for 1.5 hrs and i have 1-2 beers at the beginning, i think things would be fine. am i above or below the limit, no clue! My gf who consumed the same amount would be in no shape to drive.

Also keep in mind, when you get stopped you get a breathalizer where you either blow a pass or fail. most time the officer then gives you an option to accept the results and take the penaly (24hr, etc). however legally i believe you are entitled to be taken to the cop shop within a certain amount of time and get a "blood alcohol" test. Dont quote me, but it is something to this affect. the "breathalizer" they give you when you get stopped is not official.

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally they can make the limit 0.00 for me. Really against drinking and driving. Also I am cheap so I would rather buy a bottle or a case and take it home and not pay 8 bucks for a mixed drink. There is no reason to drive drunk. Take a cab, stay at a hotel, friends place. No matter what all of the above options are cheaper then having an accident and possibly killing someone.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally they can make the limit 0.00 for me. Really against drinking and driving. Also I am cheap so I would rather buy a bottle or a case and take it home and not pay 8 bucks for a mixed drink. There is no reason to drive drunk. Take a cab, stay at a hotel, friends place. No matter what all of the above options are cheaper then having an accident and possibly killing someone.
Little low at 0.00.. but each to their own. its your opinion

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep 0.00 is low for sure. But I would rather not take the chance and embarrass myself. I don't see a problem with someone having a beer or two with supper. But alot of people don't stop at that and keep on guzzling then try and drive home. It seems like everyone is against drunk driving but it is still happening. Bring on the .05 and let's make some really stiff penalties and maybe people will learn. Once again just my opinion.

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it makes a difference. I can say that before i would go out for beers and 3 would turn into 6 pretty fast then you drive home and really how many can say they haven't done this? I don't drink much and know that i shouldn't be on the road with 6beers in me. With the new limits and penalties you can't take that risk - unless you can get by without a DL. I never drink and drive anymore...maybe one with dinner but that wouldn't even register but its certainly a one beer limit. So I would bet any money that i am not the only one thinks this way so in that regard how many dangerous drivers have stopped driving around with 3,4,5,6 beers. I think its good. There are still way too many drunks out there so for sure implement it in Alberta its a good thing...that my 2c. It's usually some family that gets killed by a drunk.

Top Bottom