Are most sleds this easy to steal?

Invalid Zero

Reaction score
A friend and I went to unload our sleds on a trip a few weeks ago and found out he had forgotten his key in his truck back in town. So before turning around to go back for it we figured we'd try our luck at bypassing the key. Opened the hood on his 1994 Polaris XLT and found just two wires coming from the back of the ignition. Pulled them out and touched them together, no go, won't start. We tried with the wires simply dangling not touching each other and she fired right up. We taped them so they wouldn't touch and kill the engine and rode all day. I can't believe how easy it was. Are other sleds like this?

EDIT: Also, first post. Woo.

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend and I went to unload our sleds on a trip a few weeks ago and found out he had forgotten his key in his truck back in town. So before turning around to go back for it we figured we'd try our luck at bypassing the key. Opened the hood on his 1994 Polaris XLT and found just two wires coming from the back of the ignition. Pulled them out and touched them together, no go, won't start. We tried with the wires simply dangling not touching each other and she fired right up. We taped them so they wouldn't touch and kill the engine and rode all day. I can't believe how easy it was. Are other sleds like this?

EDIT: Also, first post. Woo.

Ya polaris's r that easy. Kinda dumb. Just unplug key and go.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
forget your DESS cord on a 'doo and you might as well head home or rent a sled. they've had no key other than the DESS cord since the year 2000. earlier on some models

Unless your a scum bag thief then all you need is the computer from the same kind of sled and a key. That's how the pricks got my 05 rev. Unplugged my comp plugged there's in with ther own DESS cord and pinned it.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless your a scum bag thief then all you need is the computer from the same kind of sled and a key. That's how the pricks got my 05 rev. Unplugged my comp plugged there's in with ther own DESS cord and pinned it.

It's not quite that easy with the ETEC's. The ECU has to be married to the Speedometer, each Injector, fuel pump and oil pump using the dealer software or else it will not run right if at all. To go to all that trouble and still need a crooked dealer to program it you'd be better off to get him to program a new key.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new Polaris sleds have a optional security feature like the Doo. Its a dealer add-on though and not standard like the Doo.

Tiny pro-x

Reaction score
Just unplug the harness under the hood on pro and it will run forgot to plug mine in one time and it ran no way to shut it off till you plug it back in

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not quite that easy with the ETEC's. The ECU has to be married to the Speedometer, each Injector, fuel pump and oil pump using the dealer software or else it will not run right if at all. To go to all that trouble and still need a crooked dealer to program it you'd be better off to get him to program a new key.

how are guys steeling etecs? or i guess why then? how easy is it to get a key then once stolen? i guess when they steal a trailer they dont care and just take them all, think they would leave ski-doos if it was a huge hassle to get them to work later....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how are guys steeling etecs? or i guess why then? how easy is it to get a key then once stolen? i guess when they steal a trailer they dont care and just take them all, think they would leave ski-doos if it was a huge hassle to get them to work later....
I'm thinking most guys leave their tether on the sled, especially in a trailer. to get a new key the entire sled must be brought into the dealer and hooked to their computer, then the key is programmed to match the sled's ECU. if it has been reported stolen, it will show up on their computer as such. I would think any that are stolen without the tether are parted out.

prairie-rider800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The keys on polaris are useless. I can take the key out of my 13 pro and put it in my buddies pro and it will start without a hitch. I've tried it with a coulple of other 13s.

Sent from my iPhone using

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
the old Polaris's are just stupid easy! l have an old XLT just like that as well, forget the key and just unplug one of those wires and away you go. most sleds don't have the wiring quite that accessible. My cats all use the same keys, and you would need to hook the wires together to get them to go. Still, not very difficult. all you can do is lock them up as best you can, but I think the determined thief can usually find a way

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my boy took the key in for his 98 summit......I bet him I could steal it....he bet me it would take 5 mins......well gone in under 60 seconds......it was tuff to pull the cold engine over well keeping my thumb on the teather......but it was 43 seconds from the time I put my boots on and walked (not run) out side.........so easy! the key don't even stop the honest guy when he forgets the key! lol

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Still a ton of parts they can sell.

Big_Guy

Reaction score
The keys on polaris are useless. I can take the key out of my 13 pro and put it in my buddies pro and it will start without a hitch. I've tried it with a coulple of other 13s.

Sent from my iPhone using

That's because polaris only has 5 different keys in all sleds from 2014 dating back to late 80s. There is dots under the wording polaris on the key from one dot to five dots

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's because polaris only has 5 different keys in all sleds from 2014 dating back to late 80s. There is dots under the wording polaris on the key from one dot to five dots

yup. Got one of each as spares from over the years. At the end of the day its a 450lb machine that two guys can lift. Missing key wont stop them. I take mine out force of habbit.

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

how many pages do u think this will get to b4 we relize we r telln the word all the tips to stealing sleds??

Big_Guy

Reaction score
how many pages do u think this will get to b4 we relize we r telln the word all the tips to stealing sleds??

If someone wants the sled their ain't much you can do they will take it.. That's why we insure them!

Top Bottom