Apple TV, What to get.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at getting an apple TV box, and see that the new version 3 is only 99 bucks.

I saw some "software inoperability rectified" 2nd gen versions with the "get out of jial option" on Kijiji for about $300 or so...but they are not 1080p.

What do I look for, will I see much difference in the 720? What updates are needed and how often?

Is this guy legit? Looks like a good deal, he has some sort of 1080 box that goes with it?

Anyone an expert or have some extensive knowledge in this?

I have right now, a samsung smart tv, Pioneer vsx-1022 7.1 surround receiver and an older macbook that I want to use with it.

Here is the kijiji ad.

Thanks in advance

M

Last edited:

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'll be keepin my eye on this thread as there is a guy on kijiji in kamloops that will jailbreak it with a unit for 225.. Been meaning to call him.. His add says u may even cancel ur cable..

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't have anything right now.

Just netflix, and peasantvision.

I am sure there are some better ones and some that are basic. I think you might get what you pay for in this situation.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I just bought an apple tv box from the apple store a couple weeks ago..... you require wifi and its ok..... lots of older tv programs and movies to watch. I like the youtube stuff as well..... $99 plus you need to buy an HDMI cable and a fibre optic audio cable.....

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you get for free and what do you have to buy for programs?

I want to compare also what you get free and what you get in the software inoperability rectification... and if it's worth sacrificing 1080.

I just bought an apple tv box from the apple store a couple weeks ago..... you require wifi and its ok..... lots of older tv programs and movies to watch. I like the youtube stuff as well..... $99 plus you need to buy an HDMI cable and a fibre optic audio cable.....

Last edited:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Software inoperability rectification is technically legal in Canada.
Canada

In November 2012, Canada amended its Copyright Act with new provisions prohibiting tampering with digital locks, with exceptions including software interoperability.[SUP][22][/SUP] Jailbreaking a device to run alternative software is a form of circumventing digital locks for the purpose of software interoperability.

Last edited:

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought one as well a couple weeks ago. I think I am going to buy another one for the other TV as well as they are handy to have. I have airport express but you can only control/play music from Itunes onto your stereo. With Apple TV I can also play music from youtube to my stereo. Haven't bought any movies thru it yet but do watch Netflex.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Just go with the apple tv..... That guy on kijiji is making a small fortune if anybody gets sucked into that scam..... Besides, there is enough to do and see on the plain apple tv for $99. I have an apple airport as well and watch netflix, youtube (my videos), itunes movies, videos, music.....anymore than that and your not sledding enough......LOL

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You get 2 UFC PPV's and it's paid for.

Anyways, if anybody wants, I would like PM's on your advise on what they have found good or not, and I will share it via PM to anyone who wants the info.... Just so summiteer doesn't find out.. LOL

And Duck, My sledding season won't be starting till the end of march.:(

butters

Reaction score
The Apple tv 3 cannot be jail broken yet.. So the deals on Kijiji for the jailbroken model is a good deal IMO. Free movies as soon as they are released in theaters, free PPV, local channels are free. I paid 300 for mine jail broken. Worth much much more considering i have no satelite tv bill, dont have to buy or rent movies, UFC is all free. But its winter... should be out on the sled not watching tv haha

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im sold im gettin one now

Same here,

anything to GET OUTA being absolutely azz raped by Telus or Shaw cable is good enough for this mofo!!

ps: Is it only worth gettin one of these TV devises if one does not own an IPhone?

I have everything else Apple other than the phone...

Last edited:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did some reading and I guess there is an apple TV3 version soon. It's been beta tested the last little while by 500 people or so.

Soon I guess a free download is available.

Same here,

anything to GET OUTA being absolutely azz raped by Telus or Shaw cable is good enough for this mofo!!

ps: Is it only worth gettin one of these TV devises if one does not own an IPhone?

I have everything else Apple other than the phone...

Top Bottom