What to look for in a TV?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been many years since I bought my last Television.

Just wondering what to look for in a TV, Plasma, LCD, LED??

I am thinking of a 1080 p 50 inch ant things to look for? also going to integrate my mac, and get s surround system.

Thanks in advance

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just remember that you will only use the 1080 p if your watch Blue Ray. I was told not even high def cable is 1080 P.

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grab a chair and watch the tv at the store from the same distance it will be in your house....picture quality can change even it's 5 feet difference....I almost bought a toshiba but ended up with a Sony because the picture quality was good and didn't really change with distance and angles....

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boobies. Also good, dark blacks and a matte screen if it's a bright room.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the amount of hertz they put out is important as well. If you buy one with 60 or 120 even, you will be fustrated watching sports because the picture will seem almost blurry from not being able to keep up to the fast movement. But if you watch opra then you should be fine. 240hz is good and I think they even have them in the 400's now.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plasma are on the cheap side now. They need to be in a dark room though as you get a lot of glare off of the screen, as it is glass. They are the best for Sports and other fast moving pictures, as their refresh rate is 600Hz compared to 6-240Hz.
I would go LED over LCD, as they are lighter and thinner, and use less power. It really all comes down to what you are looking on spending. If I were to be buying a new TV right now, I would go Samsung LED 240Hz Smart TV. Samsung has some really good dark colours. Take a look at all the TVs in the store, but remember. Once you get it home and don't have 5 TVs all around it, it will look good.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 50" plasma spur of the moment and I really like it, I went to the brick to buy a fridge,walked out with a fridge, TV and new surround system. LoL I payed $598 and I just saw the same TV foe $498 @ the Brick.

They have WIFI TV now if you think showing whats on the computer on the TV is something you would like. If you can easily hard wire to your TV that would be a waste of money. LEDs are pretty nice, way better than LCD. I also have a Sharp Aquos and it's starting to get a bit cloudy at the bottom of the screen, only 3-4 yr's old.

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a 4x8 foot screen or it is 105" corner to corner. Projector mounted on the wall 16' back. Have seen my parents tv's and not to impressed with the quality. I'll stick with the projectors, but they have their downsides also like needing a dark room and when the bulbs burn out the are pushing $300 to replace. But so far so good. It is an Epson projector.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have been told wrong, my fibre optic is 1080P on my samsung, also Bell sattelite is 1080P hd as well, had bell just switched to fibre optic, both same pic quality. A useful tool when buying a TV is to look at the customer ratings on the TV's. Advertising and all that bull$hit is just a waste. Customer ratings on Best buy or visions, or future shop etc. take into account the price, the quality, ease of use, longevity, picture quality, energy consumption etc. Samsung TV's consistently score some of the highest consumer ratings of all TV's and IMHO have the best bang for your buck as well as the best picture. Lots of people I know have Sharp TV's, which are good as well, however they consistently ask me why their pic quality isn't as good as mine even though they paid anywhere from $500-$1000 more than I did for the same size. I love my Samsung TV's. Have a 51" 3d plasma 600hz in the living room, a 46" lcd 120 hz in the bedroom and a 55" LED 3d 240hz SMART on order to replace the living room one, which will replace the bedroom one which will turn into the shop TV,. Id steer clear of Sony because in the next year or so they won't even be making televisions anymore( losing too much money in that segment ) .Toshibas aren't bad but aren't near as user friendly as Samsung and Sharp and are overpriced and lacking in technology. LG makes a nice product at an affordable price but their reliability isn't as good. And the rest are just run of the mill. Id buy a Samsung if I was you. LED is way better on power but you will pay more for the TV. Plasma like already said is awesome for sports or fast moving TV but does use more energy, and in the summer you won't even want to turn it on due to the amount of heat it puts out. I can literally watch the thermostat temp rise in the summer as soon as I turn on my plasma

Just remember that you will only use the 1080 p if your watch Blue Ray. I was told not even high def cable is 1080 P.

Last edited:

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have been told wrong, my fibre optic is 1080P on my samsung, also Bell sattelite is 1080P hd as well, had bell just switched to fibre optic, both same pic quality. A useful tool when buying a TV is to look at the customer ratings on the TV's. Advertising and all that bull$hit is just a waste. Customer ratings on Best buy or visions, or future shop etc. take into account the price, the quality, ease of use, longevity, picture quality, energy consumption etc. Samsung TV's consistently score some of the highest consumer ratings of all TV's and IMHO have the best bang for your buck as well as the best picture. Lots of people I know have Sharp TV's, which are good as well, however they consistently ask me why their pic quality isn't as good as mine even though they paid anywhere from $500-$1000 more than I did for the same size. I love my Samsung TV's. Have a 51" 3d plasma 600hz in the living room, a 46" lcd 120 hz in the bedroom and a 55" LED 3d 240hz SMART on order to replace the living room one, which will replace the bedroom one which will turn into the shop TV,. Id steer clear of Sony because in the next year or so they won't even be making televisions anymore( losing too much money in that segment ) .Toshibas aren't bad but aren't near as user friendly as Samsung and Sharp and are overpriced and lacking in technology. LG makes a nice product at an affordable price but their reliability isn't as good. And the rest are just run of the mill. Id buy a Samsung if I was you. LED is way better on power but you will pay more for the TV. Plasma like already said is awesome for sports or fast moving TV but does use more energy, and in the summer you won't even want to turn it on due to the amount of heat it puts out. I can literally watch the thermostat temp rise in the summer as soon as I turn on my plasma

Bell sat can be 1080P but it depends on the channel and if they choose to broadcast it in 1080P or 720P. I watched HD movies on my bell and switched inputs to the same movie on Blu ray and there was a noticable difference.

Kill Bill II when she is in the coffin you can see her outline on blue ray on the bell HD it was just a black screen.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever u do just make sure you get the 80" or at the VERY least the 70".

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 49" LG smart tv LED with all the bells and whistles including 3d. Pretty much is a computer on steroids lol awesome picture. fs has an awesome deal tv,blueray player, 5.1 surround sound system, tv stand(nice) and a $100 worth of 3d blueray movies(crappy movies). They even threw in the HDMI cables.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350001093.441041.jpg

Sofa king

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the amount of hertz they put out is important as well. If you buy one with 60 or 120 even, you will be fustrated watching sports because the picture will seem almost blurry from not being able to keep up to the fast movement. But if you watch opra then you should be fine. 240hz is good and I think they even have them in the 400's now.

I've got a 52" sharp aquos that is 120hertz and sports look great on it (it's not blurry or laggy at all). Mind you I only watch hockey and a little CFL. At the time 120hertz was the highest and the sales guy told me sports were terrible on the old 60hertz. In a few more years we won't know how we lived without 2000hertz tv's.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aquos is a great t.v. I have he same I believe in a 42" and is the best t.v in the house but my 47" 60hz in the basement I can't stand to watch. Nothing wrong with the 120 hz until you compare it side by side to a 240.
I've got a 52" sharp aquos that is 120hertz and sports look great on it (it's not blurry or laggy at all). Mind you I only watch hockey and a little CFL. At the time 120hertz was the highest and the sales guy told me sports were terrible on the old 60hertz. In a few more years we won't know how we lived without 2000hertz tv's.

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apple TV box is a must... very cool peice of equipment.
I LOVE my jailbroke apple tv! every movie & tv show ever made on demand for free. As for the T.V i agree with the comment about the ambiant lighting, that will likely be your determining factor. And check double diamond electronics before you buy they are a wholesaler with a HUGE inventory. I just picked up a mid level samsung 59" 240hz 3D with 4 pairs of glasses and a 3D blue ray player with TONS of built in features (wi-fi,netflix,youtube,dailymotion and a LOT more) for under $1500, future shop was the next closest at 2k just for the TV. Deff worth checking out

Top Bottom