Anyone hiring?

Sofa king

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a friend at work who's son is 18, just finished high school this year. He is looking for a entry level job in the St.Albert/ Edmonton area. I thought I would post on S&M to see if anyone is looking. Thx.

froggie

Reaction score
I work for NOV. We have an opening in Leduc for a shop hand. Young guy willing to learn and work hard would be great. If interested in hearing more pleae e-mail me
Lise.Martin@nov.com

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah. Lol. Never heard it abbreviated. Don't deal there anymore.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get him started in a trade and thus something more permanent...... Unless of course he has other plans for post secondary schooling and this is just a temp. Then whatever will take him, lol.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Send him out swamping money is good, work is hard and keeps you out of trouble if you stay busy.

My pa had his owner picker. Swamped for him once old enough. Teaches how to work and budget money. Starts ya off right IMO

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get him started in a trade and thus something more permanent...... Unless of course he has other plans for post secondary schooling and this is just a temp. Then whatever will take him, lol.

I started in a trade at 17 years of age and still doing it at 30. Go out and see what's appealing as far as trades go before settling on one. I hate my trade but got into deep in it and can't make the coin I make now doing anything else. see what really interests him first. Trades r good but pick the most appealing.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Trades are good, but spend a couple months pulling chains on a picker and when you start that trade, you wouldn't give it up for the world.

My pa had his owner picker. Swamped for him once old enough. Teaches how to work and budget money. Starts ya off right IMO

Swamped for my uncle and cousin on a 45 ton. Made me appreciate a 8-5 monday to friday job. Getting a call 11:30 for work at 5 once or twice, while out half cut will sure keep you from going out and wasting money on liquor

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a friend at work who's son is 18, just finished high school this year. He is looking for a entry level job in the St.Albert/ Edmonton area. I thought I would post on S&M to see if anyone is looking. Thx.

And as I originally asked........ Is he looking for a career path, or just a filler until he goes to something post secondary? Makes a big difference......

Last edited:

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started in a trade at 17 years of age and still doing it at 30. Go out and see what's appealing as far as trades go before settling on one. I hate my trade but got into deep in it and can't make the coin I make now doing anything else. see what really interests him first. Trades r good but pick the most appealing.

That goes for anything. Pick the right job the first time, which is usually much easier said than done. I got lucky and I actually enjoy my job..... well now that I don't work for anyone else anymore either.

Trades are good, but spend a couple months pulling chains on a picker and when you start that trade, you wouldn't give it up for the world.

Swamped for my uncle and cousin on a 45 ton. Made me appreciate a 8-5 monday to friday job. Getting a call 11:30 for work at 5 once or twice, while out half cut will sure keep you from going out and wasting money on liquor

Meh.... I can make any apprentices life a living hell..... and if they are a little puke with a terrible attitude I have. I didn't have the work ethic problems that a lot of kids now do... or the attitude. But I worked on the farm since I was able to do so physically, which was the difference in some instances because I knew the value of money and working to achieve it.

Last edited:

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
......I wish a person could delete un-necessary posts on this forum like most others I am on.

Sofa king

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work for NOV. We have an opening in Leduc for a shop hand. Young guy willing to learn and work hard would be great. If interested in hearing more pleae e-mail me
Lise.Martin@nov.com

Thanks for the response, I passed the information along. I think he wanted something closer but you never know.

Sofa king

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And as I originally asked........ Is he looking for a career path, or just a filler until he goes to something post secondary? Makes a big difference......

Well.... he says it`s temporary (year or 2) until he decides what post secondary he wants to take. I have a feeling there are a lot of people who said that and are still @their jobs. His father and myself are sheet metal by trade and could get him a job (and apprenticeship) tomorrow but he tried it for a few summers when he was still in school and he has no desire to do it. We have a lot of contacts in our industry so we could probably get him into refridgeration or plumbing/ gas fitting but he doesn't seem very intrested in a trade at this point. Maybe he just needs to try some other stuff before he comes to his senses about getting a trade. He's young, sometimes they just gotta figure it out for themselves.

He's young, still is unsure of what he wants to do.

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well.... he says it`s temporary (year or 2) until he decides what post secondary he wants to take. I have a feeling there are a lot of people who said that and are still @their jobs. His father and myself are sheet metal by trade and could get him a job (and apprenticeship) tomorrow but he tried it for a few summers when he was still in school and he has no desire to do it. We have a lot of contacts in our industry so we could probably get him into refridgeration or plumbing/ gas fitting but he doesn't seem very intrested in a trade at this point. Maybe he just needs to try some other stuff before he comes to his senses about getting a trade. He's young, sometimes they just gotta figure it out for themselves.

He's young, still is unsure of what he wants to do.

Exactly what he needs.. I graduated an didn't know what I wanted to do so I went to work on a flushby.. An now after 6 years I figure I would like a job that pays more to work less hours so I'm goin back to school next fall lol.. He will figure it out eventually

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Concord.......Now called Taravita is crying for roughnecks..............good quick money and if school dont work out can just keep climbing the ladder(literally)
catmando!

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Apparently we are losing to laborer/apprentices at me work in late aug. and may be needed replacements. Working for a general contractor doing labor work this the possibility of and apprenticeship if he works out.... Been here 6 years now running my own jobs and love it. Pm me if you want my e-mail

Top Bottom