Anyone here from Kakwa ??

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would start by contacting the local snowmobile club, they should know whats up. Alberta Parks, B.C. Parks Information may be able to help you out depending which side of the border you are on. Both sides are parks so them dam greenies:nono: will probably try to ruin another area. Have not been there yet, went to Mount Alexander last year and have some maps for Kakwa as we will make one trip there this year between trips to Mcbride area. Still looking for info on shortest access in but have not gotten any feedback yet. If you have any info or want to hook up for the ride let me know. Three of us will be heading out mid/late January. This area is part of Grande Prarie Tourism's area, they are at www.grandeprarie.ca . Hope this helps.

R

ridenhide

Hi There! Denise from Ride'n'Hide Here. Kakwa is also in the Prince George Snowmobile Clubs area, it is also in the McBride/Robson Valley Search and Rescue area. I also work with SAR and the only closure that I'm aware of is the Dec 1,2006 closure that is, the area was to be closed to snowmobiling up to Dec 1,2006 to allow for safe passage of migrating animals. The area was open to snowmobiling after that date.(we all have to get along ). Although that wasn't respected,there haven't been any repercussions to date.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kakwa

I read on Snowest that some changes are to be made NOW. Limits to your allitude and places you can go. You can still ride in Kakwa but as snowmobiles have advanced in where they are going into so must the plan to control their access. When the plan was formed snowmobiles were used to sightsee in the area now it is becoming a all out competion on where to go and how far you can climb. Government wants to protect certain areas from disturbance of all forms (even helicoptors). This was brought to the goverments attention buy our GREEN friends looking to get more land controlled for their Y to Y campain. Tumbler Range, Mackenzie, and Chetwend areas will be next on the list so ride now and look later. This is just what I picked out of the info off Snowest and Government website B.C.:rant:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Denise for the info!I have tracked down some some people that live /sled in Grande Cache,McBride,snowmobile club member in Prince George and my cousin's buddy that works for Alberta Forestry. Got the same story from every body.....no crossing trail known to McBride from G.C., can be hiked or done on horse but not passable by sled:doh:. At least I got info on three different routes to Kakwa:Happy6: :Happy6: . Going to be heading out to McBride on 25,26 and Valemount on 27. :)

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
If anyone in this area is interested Zac's Tracs and the Swan City Snowmobile Club of Grande Prairie are running an avalanche class in early February.

Classroom sessions run over 2 evenings, Feb 6&7 from 6-10pm
Field session run Feb 9-13. Pick any one field date.

Poster available at:

www.zacstracs.com
Scroll down under 'Courses' and the 'Details' sections.

Top Bottom