Anyone have a dealer "black list" you

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealers are only hurting themselves in the long run by not doing warranty work on stuff not bought from them. My recoil went on my 09 xp so I took it to my local dealer. The first thing they asked me was if I bought it there. As soon as I said no they told me I should take it back to where I bought it. I see to buy quite a few aftermarket parts and gear from them but now I won't set foot in their shop again.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

That is crap...People do move to a new area and bring what they own with them. They are then a new customer for the next sled they buy. I don't understand dealers with that mentality. I don't think they are allowed to refuse warranty work for the manufacturer they represent but with an attitude like that would you really want to bother with them?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work at a dealership. Doesn't matter where you bought the truck from if you have warranty we will fix you up the same as anyone else. Customer service is what brings people back. When I had an issue with my diesel I want to the place I had bought it. Told them the details. They didn't do the original work on the engine so denied warranty. I told the service manager this will reflect if I buy a new truck from them. They didn't care. The next week I was driving my new pickup from a different dealer. All this pay more for the dealer to work on your equipment is total BS.

Dealers are only hurting themselves in the long run by not doing warranty work on stuff not bought from them. My recoil went on my 09 xp so I took it to my local dealer. The first thing they asked me was if I bought it there. As soon as I said no they told me I should take it back to where I bought it. I see to buy quite a few aftermarket parts and gear from them but now I won't set foot in their shop again.

both well said^^. why the fawk am I selling myself to the dealer? Should be the other way around. A smart dealer will do warranty work on any purchase, with a smile on their faces and do it in a good timely manner and know that their customer service will win them a purchase the next time around, even if their price is a little bit higher, their SERVICE will be what keeps people coming back.

A stupid dealer refuses work or lets it sit in the lot for a long as possible. Customer will drive past their place the next time. all that results is a pissed off customer on the internet bitching about how their sled still isn't fixed and/or loss of potential future sale(s).

To address the post above about internet shopping, its a catch 22 situation and internet shopping is a by-product of poor customer service. If you want people to come in and buy stuff you gotta stock it and you gotta be willing to provide customer service. People started ordering stuff online because dealers refused to work on their sled and the next nearest dealer is 100 kms away for a $15 part, so they order it online. Why would I go to the dealer for fuel line or a pull cord, they gotta order it in and takes 2 weeks, or I just order it direct and its here Monday on my doorstep kind of deal. Shops like Motortech, GSR etc, are in business because they provide that level of customer service. I make a point of stopping in there when in Golden, just because of their reputation, and they don't know me from a hole in the wall (and I don't expect them to), but I know they would give me a good level of service if I had an issue.

THE INTERNET DIDN'T KILL RETAIL, POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE DID!

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^ I agree 100% Just because I didn't buy the sled from my local dealer they made my decision to not buy my next sled from them pretty easy.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
both well said^^. why the fawk am I selling myself to the dealer? Should be the other way around. A smart dealer will do warranty work on any purchase, with a smile on their faces and do it in a good timely manner and know that their customer service will win them a purchase the next time around, even if their price is a little bit higher, their SERVICE will be what keeps people coming back.

A stupid dealer refuses work or lets it sit in the lot for a long as possible. Customer will drive past their place the next time. all that results is a pissed off customer on the internet bitching about how their sled still isn't fixed and/or loss of potential future sale(s).

To address the post above about internet shopping, its a catch 22 situation and internet shopping is a by-product of poor customer service. If you want people to come in and buy stuff you gotta stock it and you gotta be willing to provide customer service. People started ordering stuff online because dealers refused to work on their sled and the next nearest dealer is 100 kms away for a $15 part, so they order it online. Why would I go to the dealer for fuel line or a pull cord, they gotta order it in and takes 2 weeks, or I just order it direct and its here Monday on my doorstep kind of deal. Shops like Motortech, GSR etc, are in business because they provide that level of customer service. I make a point of stopping in there when in Golden, just because of their reputation, and they don't know me from a hole in the wall (and I don't expect them to), but I know they would give me a good level of service if I had an issue.

Well said!!! I have doo dealer a few blocks away from my place in BC but purchased sleds from a dealer in Southern Alberta. Nothing to do with purchase price...all about service and being treated right.

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said!!! I have doo dealer a few blocks away from my place in BC but purchased sleds from a dealer in Southern Alberta. Nothing to do with purchase price...all about service and being treated right.

I'm pretty sure I know the dealer you are referring to. The funny thing is that he is who I bought my last 3 sleds from and for some reason he has treated me very good. I know a lot of people who get treated like sh!t from him though. I guess I am one of the very few lucky ones that have had good dealings with him.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

To add to this many dealers used to have a monopoly on an entire region. The attitude was if you want it you can wait for it and this is what it costs, don't like it too bad. There was a lot of price gouging going on too. The internet can provide the same level of service (none), a more reasonable wait time, and costs significantly less.

It really rubs me the wrong way when dealers seem to think I should be competing for their service instead of them competing for my business.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the smart dealers know that "customer service"...."after sales service" (parts & service)...is what brings customers back. Any body (salesrep) can sell a product to a customer once....but to get that customer to return to buy again...it takes "customer service"....the parts and service departments must perform if they want to sustain future business.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I know the dealer you are referring to. The funny thing is that he is who I bought my last 3 sleds from and for some reason he has treated me very good. I know a lot of people who get treated like sh!t from him though. I guess I am one of the very few lucky ones that have had good dealings with him.

I also know who he is talking about...

Never spent a penny in there before getting my sled this year... Treats me awsome , even get parts to fix my sled, says come back next week to pay not a big deal...

Has even went as far to give me the panel below the clutch cause mine cracked from a stump and no skid plate.... For free to get me going

And ordered the skid plate I wanted

Get it fixed and get riding

sent while I should be drinking tea's

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The statement of "we look after our customers first" is a BS answer to get when you call a dealer looking for help with a product that they sell. I'd expect that if I tried to take a doo to a poo dealer but not a dealer that carries that product. I had this happen to me twice and once was while I was on summer holidays!!!!
I'm curious if the manuf knows that's dealers are treating their consumers this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't have to walk in, I was calling around, yah ask if you can get a service appointment and they ask you if bought the unit from them, and they explain that they look after there customers first! My holidays would of been over before they could look at it.
How many times does a person need to hear that before it comes a sore spot with them, that day I heard it alot.
After a few days I fixed the problem myself and bought the parts, even tho the unit was under warranty.
What's the point in having a service dealer when they provide no service to the public, but only VIP service.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The statement of "we look after our customers first" is a BS answer to get when you call a dealer looking for help with a product that they sell. I'd expect that if I tried to take a doo to a poo dealer but not a dealer that carries that product. I had this happen to me twice and once was while I was on summer holidays!!!!
I'm curious if the manuf knows that's dealers are treating their consumers this way.

not likely perhaps everyone that has a problem should let them know. if its a doo product use the bat signal you got in your platinum owners box. ( plastic card with hotline number)

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not likely perhaps everyone that has a problem should let them know. if its a doo product use the bat signal you got in your platinum owners box. ( plastic card with hotline number)

It was my travel trailer I was having problems with back in 09.
I get that dealers are busy and that's how it goes, but why even tell a fellow that they look after there own customers first.

Rude IMO.

Rant over! Lol

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had this kind of bull.... happen with the auto dealers. Not that they won't do work on the vehicle but will try to make you believe there is a problem with the vehicle and you need to spend X amount of dollars to fix it.
I have challenged them knowing this is not the case and had the vehicle returned running far worse than when I left it there (and for a different reason than what it was taken in there for).
After digging into the situation found out that the mechanics were on commission i.e. they made more money when they sold parts - as opposed to just making the hourly rate for working there. Total conflict of interest.
I have also had a dealer tell me that I needed some work done on a transfer case and when I questioned why and how much there was a vague answer as to why and how much it would cost.
Found out after getting the work done by an independent mechanic that there was a warranty recall done and that the dealer should have told me at the time. Dealers make as much fixing vehicles as selling them.

Just 2 of many accounts I'm sure...

I will pay any amount of money to fix a vehicle as long as it is legit. I will pay any commission if my broker is steering me towards a decent investment. I will buy a good used sled if the seller delivers me a good used sled. Is it really any more difficult than that..? $$ for $$ not $$$$ for $.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can almost understand the anomosity behind dealers that lose those local sales and feel the need to ignore their service requests but never subscribed to it myself. The only chance you will ever get to put that guy back in your stable is by giving him a reason to shop at your store in the future. There is an expiry date on being in the retail industry and when people get bitter its time to do something else that will put a smile on your face. Just my thoughts..

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My last can am quad I bought local.During and after sale dealer was a real prick. I have since sold my can am.I am now in the market for a new BRP product bit will be buying in Alberta.Dealer in Cochrane is great to deal with and almost 1k in tax savings, since we still have no ATV registration. Why would I spend my hard earned cash when dealer treats you like ****.BTW they still do our warranty work as the service dept is decent.

Top Bottom