Anyone have a dealer "black list" you

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if his has ever happened to someone or know of it happening. Buddy is shopping around for a new ride next and found a great price back where he grew up. Called around locally to se if they would match and local dealers say no way! And all the vin#'s on sleds sold through that place will be "black listed" because he's selling so much cheaper than anyone else is willing to. Some dealers said to not even bother trying to bring it in for warranty work cuz the answer will be NO! I found is hole situation both comical and strange. I understand wanting to support local and all but can a dealer refuse/seriously delay you service because you bought somewhere else?

TeenWolf

Reaction score
Unless the sleds vin is a US vin I don't think they can refuse warranty work. Can they?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would fully expect a dealer to put off work on a sled they didn't sell. There seems to be a real attitude that if you haven't worked (read spent) to develop a relationship with a dealer they don't have to offer a very high level of service. Certainly not the case everywhere but seems the norm from a few members here.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they really can't refuse warrenty work but they sure can look after their own customers first....long wait times for work would be very likely

Drifter1

Reaction score
It's unfortunate that the attitude of these dealers isn't we should bend over backwards for anybody that walks through the door. The attitude that only if you bought the sled from us will we help you out is bull****. It's no wounder why some of these dealers go broke.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's unfortunate that the attitude of these dealers isn't we should bend over backwards for anybody that walks through the door. The attitude that only if you bought the sled from us will we help you out is bull****. It's no wounder why some of these dealers go broke.

very interesting....which is why cross border shopping is so popular.

TeenWolf

Reaction score
very interesting....which is why cross border shopping is so popular.

I know that some manufactures prohibit out of country sales and can will actually fine or revoke the license of dealers caught selling to out of country citizens. I know this is he case for can-am. I was researching this subject when i wanted to buy a toy hauler out of ohio. Figured I'd buy a quad while I was there too. All can am dealers I contacted said they would not sell to Canadians.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had this kind of bull.... happen with the auto dealers. Not that they won't do work on the vehicle but will try to make you believe there is a problem with the vehicle and you need to spend X amount of dollars to fix it.
I have challenged them knowing this is not the case and had the vehicle returned running far worse than when I left it there (and for a different reason than what it was taken in there for).
After digging into the situation found out that the mechanics were on commission i.e. they made more money when they sold parts - as opposed to just making the hourly rate for working there. Total conflict of interest.
I have also had a dealer tell me that I needed some work done on a transfer case and when I questioned why and how much there was a vague answer as to why and how much it would cost.
Found out after getting the work done by an independent mechanic that there was a warranty recall done and that the dealer should have told me at the time. Dealers make as much fixing vehicles as selling them.

Just 2 of many accounts I'm sure...

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think thats how it should be. i spend my money locally albeit maybe a few more $ than accross the country. but i sure hope my sled is in and out as fast as possible and not waiting behind joe who bought his sled accross the world to save some $. if you want to save some $ shopping around then thats the risk you have to take. back of the line. i would hope thats how all auto dealers work.

as far as blacklisted.....not sure but dealers have set territory from manufacturers. i cant see them ever declining warranty work but i can see it being a lenthy process. i think you will find a dealer that you build a relationship with may put more effort into going to bat for you with the manufacturer aswell maybe duno?

no dealer is going to downright refuse work. thats just plain stupid. whether it be warranty or paid service they get paid either way. priority is the only thing that should change.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ya guess which dealer will be out of business in this situation.

K45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with that type of dealer attitude at all, nor do I think you should get priority service if you did not buy there.
When I got my 13XM I watched this forum to see what XM,s were going for and watched for positive comments about each dealer, called up the dealer
that looked the most promising and snow checked through them, they are the best place to deal with I have ever used and above average service. Snow checked my T3 there
this year and buying a Maverick Xmr there as well. Not the lowest price but far from the highest and great attitude - cant beat that. Not my local dealer either they have a poor attitude

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to digress slightly.

we all know the internet shopping is hurting ski/snowboard shops, cycling shops, scuba diving shops, etc etc ...

my cycle shop has sooooo much business they don't need extra customers(sound crazy? they are crazy busy, people drive an hour to go to them)they are authorized dealers for many labels etc etc. but the internet is where people want to save a few $$$. they will NOT do warrenty work on a bike not bought from a brick and morter shop. they will serivce bikes bought from another shop if you've moved to the area but thats about it. (ok maybe a bit more flexiblilty than that)
you want to save $$$ on the internet, try getting warrenty on the internet. sounds cruel, but you made a choise.
but they give crazy orsum service to those that support them.
so many other shops do them a favour by giving cr@py sales and service that these guys are gods in most peoples eyes ...

so many sled shops like motortech, turple bro's, are so busy, do they want to deal with bullsheet, no they have quality customers to service who are only to willing to pay good $$$ to get their sled back in good time when they where told it would be ready ...

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work at a dealership. Doesn't matter where you bought the truck from if you have warranty we will fix you up the same as anyone else. Customer service is what brings people back. When I had an issue with my diesel I want to the place I had bought it. Told them the details. They didn't do the original work on the engine so denied warranty. I told the service manager this will reflect if I buy a new truck from them. They didn't care. The next week I was driving my new pickup from a different dealer. All this pay more for the dealer to work on your equipment is total BS.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I better not buy a one year old sled that wasn't bought in my area and has some warranty left on it ........I might get black listed.......

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny how they would "black list" you for this. I can understand their "mentality", but in the end warranty is only good for a year and then the dealers will make their money of parts and service. IMHO, a dealer will lose the sale, the money from service and money from parts with an attitude like that. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealers are only hurting themselves in the long run by not doing warranty work on stuff not bought from them. My recoil went on my 09 xp so I took it to my local dealer. The first thing they asked me was if I bought it there. As soon as I said no they told me I should take it back to where I bought it. I see to buy quite a few aftermarket parts and gear from them but now I won't set foot in their shop again.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny how they would "black list" you for this. I can understand their "mentality", but in the end warranty is only good for a year and then the dealers will make their money of parts and service. IMHO, a dealer will lose the sale, the money from service and money from parts with an attitude like that. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Not sure I'm following. 4 year warranty is pretty standard on a new unit now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure I'm following. 4 year warranty is pretty standard on a new unit now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
True, for Doo's they are. But pretty sure the rest are not.
Regardless Maxwell, do dealers make their money on the sale of the toys or the sale of the accessories? Pretty sure they make more off the crap we add to our toys. I can see that it would be frustrating for a dealer, but in the scheme of things he may lose a potential buyer next time and future sales...no?

Last edited:
Top Bottom