Anyone ever insulated a sea can/shipping container

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has ever insulated a sea can to use for a heated tool crib/ shop? I know you can buy them but has anyone done a diy project themselves?

Looking at doing this for a winter project up north but would appreciate some advice. How do you secure the framing to the walls etc etc

Thanks,

Alan

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't insulated them but when we sheet and mount equipment inside we screw (or weld) to the box rails at the top and bottom so that the skin isn't penetrated. Have seen them framed with 2X2 then spray foamed and sheeted with plywood or OSB.

Last edited:

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I lined mine with 3/4" plywood, its a floating lining so there are no holes or screws to the outside other than where the power comes through. I put a 240v heater in from Home Depot ( thanks to Mattiac for that idea! :) ) It actually holds the heat in and warms up quite quickly in there.
Crap...it won't upload right side up...sorry

mancave.jpg

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Strapped one with 2x4's, then styrfoam insulation, and covered with metal siding. Not cheap though as they are not easy to drill into. For a mobile thing I can see it.....but people buying them from shops they make no sense IMO, unless you just leave them as-is. I can't remember what it cost just to do the outside of the one I did like 5 years ago like $5000.......Was barely worth it and the can was free.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the cans are cheap to purchase new period, and they do work awesome for whatev ya need. If you can do what woody did, imo it'd be well worth it......cool job woody!!!

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We do them all the time for work in the cold area's of the North, portable, easy to move / transport, set up quick.
We'd get them spray foam insulated, run conduit for power and lighting, install a regular man door in the one end.
The spray foam insulation is the cats arse.

J&G Urethane, they spray them all the time, ask for Kim

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen lots up north that are insulated. Usually just spray foamed like others here have mentioned. Seems to work pretty good. And for heat it's normally one of the spare frost fighters (Herman Nelson's) from around site. Just blow it through a cut out opening or side man door that's not used etc.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I lined mine with 3/4" plywood, its a floating lining so there are no holes or screws to the outside other than where the power comes through. I put a 240v heater in from Home Depot ( thanks to Mattiac for that idea! :) ) It actually holds the heat in and warms up quite quickly in there.

View attachment 118570

here I fixed it for you

Damn I guess not. Just save it to your desktop and rotate it there. pretty sweet looking C can

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definatly good for mobile purposes, they are nearly impossible to damage....O and here's the picture turned.

Attachments

• mancave.jpg
    mancave.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 230

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah - I was thinking spray foam would be the way to go. I have used some of those touch n seal DIY kits from Lowes and they work pretty good. Then just run power in conduit/lights. Just wondered how people were framing without drilling through the skin.

We have a new site where there is a large unheated tent shop. Sea can will be inside - just need lockable storage inside and a way to provide some heated work space and well lit area.

The one I am looking at is smaller at 9 ft but for the extra bucks a 20 maybe the way to go. Thanks for the posts

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah - I was thinking spray foam would be the way to go. I have used some of those touch n seal DIY kits from Lowes and they work pretty good. Then just run power in conduit/lights. Just wondered how people were framing without drilling through the skin.

We have a new site where there is a large unheated tent shop. Sea can will be inside - just need lockable storage inside and a way to provide some heated work space and well lit area.

The one I am looking at is smaller at 9 ft but for the extra bucks a 20 maybe the way to go. Thanks for the posts

I don't know how the spray foam would work, all I did was screw the 2x4's from the back side of the top of the sides and then set 1 side up, put the ceiling piece up and brace it and then slide the other side panel with the 2x4 on it into place ( this would definitely be easier with 2 people :) ). I put the 'L' brackets on the ceiling piece and then 'L' brackets screwed to the floor plywood. I then caulked the seams in the walls and ceiling. Pretty happy with it so far. Heats up quick and they heat stays in there for quite a while after I shut the heater off. I threw a couple of coats of gloss white paint on the ceiling to better reflect the lights.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have looked at a few 40 feet cans on the web and really liked one that was 28 feet shop heated and then 12 unheated next to the double door end. Partition wall just had an exterior door in the middle. Pretty simple but makes lots of sense.

Anyone know of any good deals on 20 or 40 foot containers. I have gone through kijiji etc etc but want something reasonably priced.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have looked at a few 40 feet cans on the web and really liked one that was 28 feet shop heated and then 12 unheated next to the double door end. Partition wall just had an exterior door in the middle. Pretty simple but makes lots of sense.

Anyone know of any good deals on 20 or 40 foot containers. I have gone through kijiji etc etc but want something reasonably priced.

Ritchie Bros auction usually has then.

View attachment 118570

Did you also insulate the floor?

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ritchie Bros auction usually has then.

x2 on the Ritchie Brothers, have to be careful there though, sometimes they go for more than new, other times you'll get lucky and find a good deal. That's where I got mine from. You'll want to check that the doors open and close properly and that it's fairly straight inside and out ( they tend to get banged around getting loaded / unloaded ), before you start bidding on it. Just my .02

[/QUOTE]=Did you also insulate the floor?[/QUOTE]

Nope, floor is not insulated. :) :beer:

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I picked up a 20ft sea can today and found out that you can buy R12 foam filled galvanized panels that are fitted with C channel for easy install. Here is a pic of what is possible. Not cheap at $3500 approx but save time and looks good.

If I end up going with it I will try and post some pics of install for those interested.

Attachments

• sea can insulation panels.jpg
    sea can insulation panels.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 87
  • seacan insulated pic2.jpg
    seacan insulated pic2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 82
Top Bottom