Anybody use and carry Avalanche gear in the Okanagan?

John Cambell

Reaction score
Hi there. I was just wondering if anyone carries avalanche airbags, beacon, probe, transmitter while riding in the Okanagan area such as Grey Stokes, Little White...

Thanks

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh, everyone better have all of that ( other than the avy pack which is personal choice ) on every ride no matter what...

Not sure what ur trying to get at??

Last edited:

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have all that on every ride no matter what terrain I am going to.
It should be a natural,habitual part of getting dressed for every ride so you don't have to think about it.
Would you go sledding without your helmet or boots?

John Cambell

Reaction score
I was trying to find out if locals carry.... I know it would be wise to carry, but ive never heard anybody really talk about it around here in the Okangan. I could be wrong, but the Okanagan is not really in a high avalanche area. I can remember the ski hill, Big White avalanching once in the 20 years ive lived here.

Im a few years new to the sport. It is an honesty question. If people around the Okanagan do ride with the avy gear, they sure don't talk about it.

DooDoo

Reaction score
Yes people ride with avy gear around the okanogan. Also there is plenty of avalanches that happen out in those areas. So I would be wearing your gear. Someone died last year in an avalanche up at Keifer Lake.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride primarily in the Okanogan/Sicamous areas and ALWAYS ride with all avy gear including avy bag. Avy can happen on the least suspecting hills so best be prepared for the worst.

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ironically often locals are less educated and less prepared for avalanches and other backcountry issues than the tourists that they look down on. If you ride anywhere with slope angles approaching or exceeding 20* you should have avalanche gear. Don't try and kid yourself and say oh I never get off the meadows, because you do. Also another group may need assistance in the riding area.

Your honesty is good but it's best to carry and know how to use the gear.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have all that on every ride no matter what terrain I am going to.
It should be a natural,habitual part of getting dressed for every ride so you don't have to think about it.
Would you go sledding without your helmet or boots?

True. But remember when we rode Greystokes? We probably didn't need it there. Extra fuel would have been more practical that day. :hmm:

John Cambell

Reaction score
I had heard about the avy in Keefer... but that is more North Okanagan... I had heard somewhere that where I am, it is basically out of the avalanche zone From about Kelowna to Brenda Mines... I live in Kelowna for the record. .. We are definatly not the same mountains as the same imountains just an hour away in sicamous etc.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine in Greystokes without them. Don't know about the rest. That's the only one I've ridden.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your riding in the mtns your in avalanche terrain. Better safe then sorry

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, don't care where ya ride

I've even seen a small hill in Alberta sloff and let go

Don't be that guy, get the crap and learn how to use it

What happens if some thing happened and someone else can't find ya cause ya don't have the beacon ect... Or u see someone else and can't find or probe for them... How would u feel after??

BillDozer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed Tex, not sure what the point the original poster was trying to make............

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed Tex, not sure what the point the original poster was trying to make............

I think he was trying to find out if there were places to safely ride in the Okanagan without avi gear. The answer is YES. Let the bashing begin. I've got big shoulders! :paddle:

John Cambell

Reaction score
Yes. That is exactly what I am asking. Im guessing there is many people who don't ride with avy gear in the "South" Okanagan......I do get the responses(thinking how dare I ask this question), because unless you have actually been riding in the greystokes, and see the terrain..... you automatically think...its in BC...it must have massive mountains with long shoots.... this is not the case in the South Okanagan...

Im gonna get gear anyway...but was just curious. Ive rode 4 years here, and nobody talks about it.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes. That is exactly what I am asking. Im guessing there is many people who don't ride with avy gear in the "South" Okanagan......I do get the responses(thinking how dare I ask this question), because unless you have actually been riding in the greystokes, and see the terrain..... you automatically think...its in BC...it must have massive mountains with long shoots.... this is not the case in the South Okanagan...

Im gonna get gear anyway...but was just curious. Ive rode 4 years here, and nobody talks about it.

Get the gear, know how to use it, invest in the training, even though it may not have slid in 50 years, it could slide tomorrow. doesn't have to be super steep to slide and bury you.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any hill 50 feet high and more than 20% grade can slide at any time... Pretty sure lots of that area has lots of hills like that

It's the less grade hills that hold snow till it let's go... The steep long shoots u speak of release all year natural or not natural...

Please for me, u, and everyone else, get probes, beacon, shovels at least

Try it out at home or parking lot with someone else's beacon ( bet u ask a sledder in a parking lot to hide has to practice it's a go) ....

Last edited:

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are "safe" (I'm using it lightly) areas to ride in most riding locations. To rule one area out entirely is a bit ludicrous. Avalanches can happen in any area given the circumstances. You might opt to not wear an Avy pack, but at least wear a beacon and carry a probe in your backpack. No one plans to be in an avalanche and if your caught in one, you might be found if someone knows how to use their equipment and maybe direct you if your not burried

I have my ast1, an Avy pack and a beacon and probe. I don't ever want to be in that situation but I feel confident I'll be of help and not helpless.

I watched a video of a guy being burried on a small drift that fell in him in a creek that most would feel comfortable riding in.

Sent from my iPhone

Top Bottom