Anybody on here no much about props?

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what are the Advantages to 3,4,5 blade props.
whats the best kind of prop aluminun stainless steel .... etc.
I am looking to buy my first new prop and I no very little about them.
I have a 20 foot bowrider with a 5.0L what kind of prop would you guys recommend.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've done a bit with props in the past and found that by far SS is the way to go. You will need to try a few to get what works best for your boat. Every boat seems to have it's own personallity. When you go to purchase a prop try and find someone that will let you try it on your boat and return it if you don't like it (Not Damaged) so be very careful. SS has a lot less flex than alum. and the pitch makes a huge difference. Low end speed high end speed are you pulling people?? How heavy are the peeps your pulling and on what. What will you be using the boat for most of the time. You might want a couple of them. If you make any kind of contact while using a SS prop you will most likely feel the hit and possibly cause some lower end damage. Alum will just squish right through and may not feel the contact. But then you will reduce the risk of lower end leg damage. Buddy has a 20" Bayliner heavy boat and had a real hard time getting the boat out of the hole. He finally found a prop that worked and what a huge difference in the performance. He ended up getting a five blade prop called the High Five. Take the time and find the right one for your boat, you will be glad you did. Oh yeh and SS is alot more money than alum, but worth it.

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what are the Advantages to 3,4,5 blade props.
whats the best kind of prop aluminun stainless steel .... etc.
I am looking to buy my first new prop and I no very little about them.
I have a 20 foot bowrider with a 5.0L what kind of prop would you guys recommend.

Reaper,

I'm with Turbo on this as well. I also researched props to a great length. In my opinion Stilohetto props are number ONE. They come balance and worth every penny. The biggest thing with a prop, 3, 4 or 5 blade is balance. I my self have a twenty foot boot with a 225hp out board on the back. The stillohetto prop never ever comes out of the water no matter how hard I turn or how fast I'm going. Mine is a 3 blade prop and out performs and 4 or 5 blade prop out there. Believe me I tried them all. Like what turbo said try alot of different pitches and get the best one for your application. I will source a dealer for you over the weekend. I bought mine from Scotty Frickle(rip)- Perfection Marine 18 years ago and cost me 1200 bucks. Hope this helps you.

Tom

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks turbo and catpride for the info. what was the biggest diffrence you guys noticed going to ss?

s/b tech

Reaction score
I'm a journeyman marine and sled mechanic by trade. First determine what your top end rpm is. This is always the starting point for the pitch. The 5.0l should be running at 4500 rpm. The high five as mentioned before is an excellent prop and will automaticaly improve the performance of the boat. However, if you want a better hole shot, than you can pitch down a couple of sizes but be carefull about over revving at wot. The ss prop will definately transfer the energy of an impact back into the gears that the aluminum would better absorb. Always know the depth of the water that you are boating in. Have fun boating and be safe.

Hope the info helps.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a journeyman marine and sled mechanic by trade. First determine what your top end rpm is. This is always the starting point for the pitch. The 5.0l should be running at 4500 rpm. The high five as mentioned before is an excellent prop and will automaticaly improve the performance of the boat. However, if you want a better hole shot, than you can pitch down a couple of sizes but be carefull about over revving at wot. The ss prop will definately transfer the energy of an impact back into the gears that the aluminum would better absorb. Always know the depth of the water that you are boating in. Have fun boating and be safe.

Hope the info helps.

i was running a volvo sx with 1.60 gear ratio butnow i have the wronggear ratio for the upper so my gear ratio is closer to 1.89
Iam able to over rev my boat up to 5500 rpmand the boat says the recommended wot is 4800. so i need to change the pitch to get a little more top end so it isn't over reving. I don't no much about the 4 and 5 blade props so I am not sure wich would be the best for my boat. I think I will deffinatly go with a ss prop. I will go double check but I believe that I am running a 15x19 prop 3 blade aluminum now.

s/b tech

Reaction score
If you are running a 19 pitch prop at 5500 than try running a 23 pitch prop as this will bring down your rpm's and improve the overall performance. Don't spend the money on a ss prop untill your happy with how the boat is performing for you. Because you changed the gear ratio with the upper gear change, this may take some trail and error with the propping. Check with some local dealers as they may have a prop loaner programe. The principal is: the lower the pitch the better the hole shot and the higher the pitch the faster the top end. All this is providing that you haven't gone past the power curve of the motor with the gearing change. This will have to be determined with the larger pitched prop to bring the performance back in line. Clear as mud huh. Hope this helps.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one nice thing abut aluminums are they are cheap to repair!!!

Ii have tried alot of different ones over the last couple years and like said before every boat has its own personality.

I have bought a bunch of props from shipwreck in edmonton, they have refurbs which i have bought as spares and once in awhile they will hve a high five or similar new out of box on sale for a stupid price.

the boat i had beofre this one i just tried a few different ones my friends had around until i found one i liked.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody reading this need a 19 or 21 pitch I have one of each like new off an Alpha 1 5.0l motor, Maxum 1900 SR3 boat. Now have a High Five and yup they are worth it. 19 pitch to slow the boat down for the kids, runs at 4800-4900 RPM. Throttle cables can be adjusted once you find the prop you like. Aluminum props I have are $125 each.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just checked my prop its a 14.25x21 not sure where i got 15x19 from.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody reading this need a 19 or 21 pitch I have one of each like new off an Alpha 1 5.0l motor, Maxum 1900 SR3 boat. Now have a High Five and yup they are worth it. 19 pitch to slow the boat down for the kids, runs at 4800-4900 RPM. Throttle cables can be adjusted once you find the prop you like. Aluminum props I have are $125 each.

what was the biggest diffrence with the high five? what did you start with and change to?

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Waaay better holeshot with the high five but this will be true of any stainless compared to aluminum. Five blade grabs more water but a little less top end, boat still does about 50MPH. Ski at 32, board about 20 and tube 20-30 depending on age of rider and boat planes at lower speed so still more than enough top end. Factory was alum x 21 (56MPH)and dropped to 19 x high five which was a big improvement from the 19 alum 3 blade that was only used 2 weekends. Walked into shipwreck and they had one for $400 and not a mark on it. Most dealers have their "hot deal bench".

BMWer

Reaction score
I have a pretty good selection of SS props with different pitches for MerCrusier.
All props are in brand new condition...and set to go. Reasonably priced at $375. PM me for more info.

Top Bottom