Any truck and transport techs?

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son is starting grade 12 this year and is trying to decide what to do when he graduates. He is thinking about automotive tech but is also interested in the truck and transport tech program. Any one here work in the trade?

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son is starting grade 12 this year and is trying to decide what to do when he graduates. He is thinking about automotive tech but is also interested in the truck and transport tech program. Any one here work in the trade?

I think it's a great trade, doesn't seem to be any shortage of work, there is a lot to learn. There will be a be a big void in the next 10 years with the old boys retiring. It is maybe not the best paying trade but you can always chase for more $ , great work environment and has served me well.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm 26 and I've been turning wrenches for a living since I was 18 so I'll offer a bit of insight. I'll admit I'm a little biased, I work on construction equipment and enjoy doing so. Highway trucks don't interest me at all and from my experience there is so much more cool stuff to see and do in the off road world. Plus from a wage perspective off road usually (not always) pays better. Either way equipment will always be breaking down and needing a good tech to work on it.
I have a couple of buddies that work in the automotive side and I honestly don't know how they do it. Flat rate pay is a blessing and a curse. One week you make wicked hours and the next you can lose your shirt on. Hourly is the way to go. That and the work is generally always cramped in a tight space. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions. Cheers:)

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes flat rate is cut throat

But I make on average 20 hours being flat rate

So 80 hours there, Bill 100

It like free overtime, and if ur a good flat rate tech like me, it's free money and makes a big difference

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not a bad trade. If you get good you will be in demand. It is very hard on the body. It can be very challenging at times with the new emissions. You will excel if you are good with computers.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
And it's recession proof. I don't foresee transport equipment going away any time soon.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a few buddies who are mechanics, heavy duty and truck. They say the big difference is the trucks usually come to you, the heavy equipment you usually go to it. Depends if you like field work or shop work.

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the great information guys. He likes the automotive stuff right now because him and his buddies spend endless hours wrenching on old Ford 4x4's and the likes. We were looking under the hood of my diesel Super Duty one day and I commented on how that was more likely the type of stuff he would see in an automotive shop setting. We both wondered how you would even to get to the problem once it was diagnosed they way they pack all that stuff under the hood. Thats when he started thinking about heavy duty or transport. He likes the idea of things being bigger and possibly, in some cases I suppose, easier to access. A good point was made about the flat rate vs. hourly, some thing to consider.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
And don't forget 15,000$ worth of tools to buy to. That snap on and Mac trucks are pricy. You can buy the cheap stuff but when you make a living with your stuff you want good hand and air tools ,

Not trying to put negative into your decision but it's something to think of as well

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And don't forget 15,000$ worth of tools to buy to. That snap on and Mac trucks are pricy. You can buy the cheap stuff but when you make a living with your stuff you want good hand and air tools ,

Not trying to put negative into your decision but it's something to think of as well
15000?? Auto body tech is cheap to buy tools for

Not a auto tech, more like 30000 and that's a small box and not all snap on

Auto tech is the most expensive trade for tools

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL. 15,000 is for an empty snap on box now. I have around $50,000 at work. I won't say what I have invested at home. But there are lots of options out there. Too many guys just starting out with go by a big snap on tool box and have no tools. You can buy the costco box with locker for 600 bucks and fill it first, then worry about the snap on box later when you actually need it. I doubt an auto tech has more invested then heavy duty guys. You only need the small tools. When you start adding in the 3/4" and 1" stuff things get a little more pricey. Not too many auto techs use a 3/4" impact throughout the day.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I happen to know a bunch of mechanics :rolleyes: 1 guy explained the differences to a friends son automotive tech usually spends time chasing squeaks and upselling people out of their hard earned cash, equipment mechs are out in the field 40 above, 40 below, mosquitos, rain, blizzards, wind, mud. Truck & trailer mechs work inside a heated shop drinking coffee bitching about drivers telling them to drive it till it breaks so we know whats wrong then bitch why you drove it so long and complain because it never got washed before they work on it.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I happen to know a bunch of mechanics :rolleyes: 1 guy explained the differences to a friends son automotive tech usually spends time chasing squeaks and upselling people out of their hard earned cash, equipment mechs are out in the field 40 above, 40 below, mosquitos, rain, blizzards, wind, mud. Truck & trailer mechs work inside a heated shop drinking coffee bitching about drivers telling them to drive it till it breaks so we know whats wrong then bitch why you drove it so long and complain because it never got washed before they work on it.

yup. can close thread now.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL. 15,000 is for an empty snap on box now. I have around $50,000 at work. I won't say what I have invested at home. But there are lots of options out there. Too many guys just starting out with go by a big snap on tool box and have no tools. You can buy the costco box with locker for 600 bucks and fill it first, then worry about the snap on box later when you actually need it. I doubt an auto tech has more invested then heavy duty guys. You only need the small tools. When you start adding in the 3/4" and 1" stuff things get a little more pricey. Not too many auto techs use a 3/4" impact throughout the day.
It's the electronic tools ect that trump the 1 inch sockets

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
15000?? Auto body tech is cheap to buy tools for

Not a auto tech, more like 30000 and that's a small box and not all snap on

Auto tech is the most expensive trade for tools

I have never added it up and don't really care ..probably more but you get the idea

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i my self am a heavy duty tech. I love it. I work on mostly trucks and some trailers. Work in a shop where the stuff comes to me. I could never do the automotive thing. We are always busy. everything needs to be safetied once a year. so thats keeps a guy going.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never added it up and don't really care ..probably more but you get the idea
I'm not saying u didn't have more than 15 g

But ur tools, I would say most the big ones are shop tools, grinders, Sanders, dent pullers ect

Where as a auto tech that works on all makes, u should see the special tools to buy just to do regular stuff now ( if ur at a dealer they would and or should have it as a shop tool )
You mean like a $15,000 laptop? We don't use the little scanners like the auto guys do. Either way it is expensive.
Well in the last 3-5 years, yes heavy duty is getting more lab top, programing ect

But let's say it's 1995, u heavy duty guys had big sockets ect

Auto techs had scan tools with 10 different ends for the different makes, then lab scope, fluke multi meter... the list goes on. All super expensive stuff back in the day

A bear four gas analyzer - ignition machine was 25000 new back in the day 90s vintage.... I bought one used 10 years ago for 100 cash lol

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All this dick measuring regarding tools is probably a non-issue. I've never worked a place where I had to supply anything bigger than 1 1/4".
I've packed 100K worth of stuff into my hotel room before between a RecipTrap and a Rotalign, non of which I had to pay for.

Top Bottom