Any Tricks to install heated grips ?

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need some advice on fixing a heated handle bar warmer on my 2003 Cat. The right bar warmer is not working and I susspect the element is toast ( the left side bar warmer works fine). I bought a new factory elemnt and grip from Cat I heard of using WD 40, hairspray, gasline antifreeze to lube up the bar before slipping the grip on. Since the bar has a slight hook formed into the bar - Argyl Motorsports said it is going to be a challenge to fit the grip on without messing up the heat element that is held on the bar with adhesive tape. I was hoping these grips were held on by heat shrink but they say that nothing holds them on except friction. Using epoxy was optional. I was thinking of heating up the grip ( just warm and using WD 40 ) Has anyone done this job before ? What worked ( what didn;t work) . Thanks in advance. :confused:

Zar

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need some advice on fixing a heated handle bar warmer on my 2003 Cat. The right bar warmer is not working and I susspect the element is toast ( the left side bar warmer works fine). I bought a new factory elemnt and grip from Cat I heard of using WD 40, hairspray, gasline antifreeze to lube up the bar before slipping the grip on. Since the bar has a slight hook formed into the bar - Argyl Motorsports said it is going to be a challenge to fit the grip on without messing up the heat element that is held on the bar with adhesive tape. I was hoping these grips were held on by heat shrink but they say that nothing holds them on except friction. Using epoxy was optional. I was thinking of heating up the grip ( just warm and using WD 40 ) Has anyone done this job before ? What worked ( what didn;t work) . Thanks in advance. :confused:

Zar
Are these an element style heater that wraps around the outside of the bar? These are the type that I use but I have never done it on a curved bar, cant' comment on that.

I use 3M spraytack adhesive to install all of my grips. Spray lots inside the grip (I mean lots), spread some on the bar over the grip and heater element, then slide the grip on as fast as you can. The can says to let it tack up first but I only ever did that once....couldn't get the grip on more than 1" when I let it set first so know I just spray it on and shove the grip on as fast as possible. 2 mins and its on there for good. The 3M stuff doesn't seem to change when the heaters are on so the grips never move and water doesn't bother it. I usually poke a hole in the end of the grip to let the air and excess adhesive excape and with the adhesive it seems to suction right on there. You can buy the grip glue but its like $5 for a little one time application, I have used the same can of 3M stuff for 4 yrs for seats, grips, etc. Costs about $8 I think. I just tip it upside down when I am done and spray it til it is clear (to clear the nozzle) so that nothing hardens up inside it and its good to go the next time I want to use it.

Hope that helps.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thats way to complicated.I just did a set and it took all of about ten minutes with no mess,Tape each end of the element on the bars,Get a buddy to plug the hole on the bars on the opposite end your doing,Take an air hose and put it in the hole of the grip and slide it on,No adhesive or anything else needed!
Works like a charm!
catmando!

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive used wd40 many times..you get 1 shot and 1 shot only when installing heated grips.so clean it up good with emery cloth..take a big drink of your beer and then spray the wd40 on the handle bars in inside the grip then push..just make shure the wire is facing the right way..i never thought wd40 would work but it does:beer:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never tried any of the above, I've always used clear coat spray paint. Works good as a lube then dries hard and best of all no mess to clean up! Been doing it this way for years even on the dirt bikes but ya still have to hot wire them.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
ive used wd40 many times..you get 1 shot and 1 shot only when installing heated grips.so clean it up good with emery cloth..take a big drink of your beer and then spray the wd40 on the handle bars in inside the grip then push..just make shure the wire is facing the right way..i never thought wd40 would work but it does:beer:

With the way I do it it is idiot proof,I shouldnt touch wrenches and
I did it,You can take em off and put em on as many times as you like.Once they been on a while they dont come off so easy!
catmando!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
grips or just anything in general?:eek:

Am I missing something here????? I noticed you are recruited,I thought team slim was moderators?Although you do fit the profile! LOL!
catmando!

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats way to complicated.I just did a set and it took all of about ten minutes with no mess,Tape each end of the element on the bars,Get a buddy to plug the hole on the bars on the opposite end your doing,Take an air hose and put it in the hole of the grip and slide it on,No adhesive or anything else needed!
Works like a charm!
catmando!

Great tips!! All the grips I have installed in the past with no glue (the WD40 trick) have twisted over time and with the external heater element, I didn't want it twisting the element either. Cat used to use an internal grip heater that went inside the bars for a few years and so the nut on the end of the heater element to lock it in place would be in the way with the air method on some older models (but probably not most newer sleds) which is why I kept using the glue method. The air thing would probably work great though with the new grips I have been using on the last couple sleds.

Thanks catmando!!!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It really does work and they dont move at all,I was skeptical untill I tried it and Im sure all the other ways mentioned work too but I like the fact that if you dont like the way it goes on it comes off easy and you can re apply it with no hurry,I wouldnt clean up the bars to much.Not sure how corrosive over time the sprays you guys are using would be but why take the chance if you dont have too.
Good Luck with the Grips.
catmando!

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It really does work and they dont move at all,I was skeptical untill I tried it and Im sure all the other ways mentioned work too but I like the fact that if you dont like the way it goes on it comes off easy and you can re apply it with no hurry,I wouldnt clean up the bars to much.Not sure how corrosive over time the sprays you guys are using would be but why take the chance if you dont have too.
Good Luck with the Grips.
catmando!

I tried the " Compressed Air Methoid " and it sort of worked. The key is you need a buddy holding the other grip and plugging the hole on the other grip. I had to get some tie straps ( to hold the other grip ) and a bolt with duct tape to plug the hole in the other grip because I didn't use the buddy system. I started with 40 psi and increased the pressure to +100 psi to get the grip to inflate to get it over the slight hook on the handle bar. Even with tie straps the other grip was starting to slide off the other side of the handle bar. I eventually used a little WD 40 and the air method and it worked fast and with less air pressure . I think that the "Compressed Air method" would be great to get old grips off as well instead of cutting them off. Next time when I am doing this job solo- I would use a hose clamps to secure the other grip temporarly ( not too much force or it will wreck the heater element ). After I assembled the new heater element and installed the grip and reassembled the throttle control - the handle bar warmer on the right side still doesn't work - back to re-checking the wiring harness - I must have missed something :confused: Thanks everybody for all your help - I definately learned some tricks.:d:beer:

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've changed handwarmers a few times using a heat gun. Carefully (and I do mean carefully) warm up the hand grip on all sides and it easily pulls off. Remove the old hand warmer. Clean the bars and stick on the new one. I wrap a bit of electrical tape near the end of the bars. Then carefully heat up the hand grip (don't melt it). When it becomes soft and pliable - slide it on. You can actually move it around a bit before it cools off. When it cools, it contracts and tightens up on the bar.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had to replace my handlebars on my 08 summit earlier this season. What I noticed is that the existing warmers had a couple of wraps of electrical tape in a few spots. This makes it less likely that you will damage the heater when putting the grip back on. The summits come with plastic caps that go in the end of the bars before the grips, so you don't have to worry about the other side coming out (although it is still easier to do the install with 2 guys). The grips had holes in them already, and I just hit the hole with some air, and they went on great. I would plug the close end of the bar, that way you won't need as much air pressure to get the grip on. Just my 2cents.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need some advice - I installed the new element and grip , checked the wiring , measured the input signal , swapped the connections and still the right side does not work. :confused:. Are the heater elements very prone to damage when you install the grip ? I checked the resistance with a multi meter and I get 14 -17 Ohms ( same as the working elemenmt on the left ). The grip went on with no problems. Is their anything else I could check ? Are OEM grip warmers a problem or are there better ones I could use without a bunch of re-wiring ?
Thanks
:d:d:d

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a buddy's 06 Rev 800, the hand and thumb warmers recently quit working. We have the shop manual for it, and one hand warmer measures acceptable resistance, but the other is a little high. The service manual only talks about an amperage for the thumb warmer, not a resistance. There is voltage to the connectors on the base of the handlebars, but nothing is working. Has anybody seen this before?

Top Bottom