Moose Heated Grips and Thumb Warmer Install

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who's installed moose heated grips and thumb warmer on a 97 polaris 700 rmk sled? The problem is, we can only find with AC power, no DC. The grips will only work with DC power. We've tried to find DC going to lights, brake switch, factory heat controls.

Where should we check for DC power? Thanks

Last edited:

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who's installed moose heated grips and thumb warmer on a 97 polaris 700? The problem is, we can only find with AC power, no DC. The grips will only work with DC power. We've tried to find DC going to lights, brake switch, factory heat controls.

what about the regulator

Last edited:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who's installed moose heated grips and thumb warmer on a 97 polaris 700? The problem is, we can only find with AC power, no DC. The grips will only work with DC power. We've tried to find DC going to lights, brake switch, factory heat controls.

All your lights are 12vDC, should be 12vDC at the key switch too.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will not have DC power on that sled unless it was wired for electric start in which case a rectifier would have been installed to charge the battery. The output from the stator is AC voltage. Who said you need DC voltage only to run a heated grip and thumbwarmer? They will work on either AC or DC. It is the resistance to current flow that causes them to warm up and they have no preference to AC or DC voltage. Your lights all run on AC voltage now. Just follow their instructions for wiring and use a yellow wire on your sled as the voltage source. I am surprised your sled did not already have heated grips on it. If you are just replacing them then hook up to the existing wiring and you'll be good to go.

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will not have DC power on that sled unless it was wired for electric start in which case a rectifier would have been installed to charge the battery. The output from the stator is AC voltage. Who said you need DC voltage only to run a heated grip and thumbwarmer? They will work on either AC or DC. It is the resistance to current flow that causes them to warm up and they have no preference to AC or DC voltage. Your lights all run on AC voltage now. Just follow their instructions for wiring and use a yellow wire on your sled as the voltage source. I am surprised your sled did not already have heated grips on it. If you are just replacing them then hook up to the existing wiring and you'll be good to go.

It's my neighbors sons sled and last owner of sled removed stock handle bars and all switchs.

The install instructions say that the heaters will only work on DC, in bold letters at the top of the page.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced they won't work on AC voltage even if they say so. Why don't you try connecting them momentarily to the AC on your sled before installing them to see if they heat up. I have seen electric shields installation instructions saying they require DC voltage too and they work fine on AC. As I said before, heated grips are nothing more than a resistive wire that heats up when current flows through it. It makes no difference if it is AC or DC current. Your only alternative is to spend some money and buy a rectifier to change the AC output from the stator to DC. Polaris does make one but I am not sure how much current it will handle. Your grips put out 20 watts so based on 12 VDC it would need to supply approximately 1.7 amps to get 20 watts.

Last edited:

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have aluminum handlebars I don't believe they will work. I've got a set of these Moose hot grips on my Foreman and they work great. Have you tried contacting Moose about this?

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have aluminum handlebars I don't believe they will work. I've got a set of these Moose hot grips on my Foreman and they work great. Have you tried contacting Moose about this?

Yup, they work awesome with the aluminum bars. Took the battery off the quad and hooked up. Grips got too hot to touch with bare hands. Don't know what they will do at minus 20 but they'll find out.

Haven't contacted Moose yet. Leaving that up to the son's dad. Just thought someone on here might have an idea.

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought we were talking quads for some reason. Have another:beer:[/QUOTE

Fixed. Polaris never made a 700 quad in 97 and we're in snowmobile section. Maybe you should stay away from the beer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom