Any thoughts What this may be?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got my Prowler all ready to go and have a little problem that I cant figure out,When you drive ahead or back you can hear this fairly loud clicking,faster in low gear and not so fast in high gear,same in reverse.I thought it was a u-joint but they seem fine,A friend said he thought mayby the hubs.Sounds like it is comming from under the motor.Runs good,shifts good.
Any Ideas?
catmando!

Attachments

• P5040009.jpg
    P5040009.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 215

chucker

Reaction score
hey catmando, my brother just fixed this same problem on my 05 800 sportsman. I will talk to him tonight and let know know what he fixed. Funny, the dealer could not find the problem after 2 visits and over 500.00.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fairly loud clicking,faster in low gear and not so fast in high gear,same in reverse.

If the clicking is faster in low gear and slower in high gear then I would think that is from the motor or clutching? If it was hubs as you mentioned then low gear or high gear would make no difference in how quikly the clicking was. Same for u joints. I would guess it's coming from the clutches??? Badly frayed belt? Chunk missing?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
hey catmando, my brother just fixed this same problem on my 05 800 sportsman. I will talk to him tonight and let know know what he fixed. Funny, the dealer could not find the problem after 2 visits and over 500.00.

Thanks chucker,Driving me nuts,Up and down the alley showing people whats up and not sure if i'm going to wreck something.
catmando!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the clicking is faster in low gear and slower in high gear then I would think that is from the motor or clutching? If it was hubs as you mentioned then low gear or high gear would make no difference in how quikly the clicking was. Same for u joints. I would guess it's coming from the clutches??? Badly frayed belt? Chunk missing?

Never thought of that,guess I will have to take it apart,will wait for a few more comments before I decide to tear it down.Thanks for your reply.
catmando!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Never thought of that,guess I will have to take it apart,will wait for a few more comments before I decide to tear it down.Thanks for your reply.
catmando!

if you want help pulling belts out, I got experience in it last year....... wait...... that was your machine too!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
if you want help pulling belts out, I got experience in it last year....... wait...... that was your machine too!

Your on,couldnt have done it without ya,I hate taking these things apart,I was born to ride,Not born to Wrench,LOL!
catmando!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm in Calgary till wednesday, but after that, I'm free

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say the belt is the most like culprit. If its a light tick look for a fray. If it's a heavier tick or thump look for a loose or missing rib on the inside of the belt.

chucker

Reaction score
Hey Catmando, Just heard from my brother. What we (he) fixed on my quad was an inboard cv joint. The dealer could not find the problem. My brother spent alot of time with the quad up on blocks checking everything he could find. The noise was only apparent under load when starting out, after moving the noise would go away. It was a clicking noise. Hope this helps.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca

This is my best guess awell. Hopefully it isn't too much of a pain to get at.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is my best guess awell. Hopefully it isn't too much of a pain to get at.

Thanks a Lot for your input and all the others too,I guess i'm going to see what kind of nightmare getting that cover off is going to be.
Just one more reason why this site rocks.
Thanks Again!
catmando!
Will post when i find the culprit!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well took the cover off and checked out the belt and everything else around the clutch and all looks good,put it back together and now looking for new ideas.Hoping its not trannny problems.
catmando!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Well took the cover off and checked out the belt and everything else around the clutch and all looks good,put it back together and now looking for new ideas.Hoping its not trannny problems.
catmando!

when you had the cover off did you manually try to pull the belt around or turn the clutches, to make sure you didn't hear the clunking in there???

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
catmando!

Thats too bad.. I guess?? Maybe a good thing. I'm suprised, thought for sure the belt would be the culprit. Keep us posted... hopefully it is nothing major or maybe even nothing at all. Could it be a broken valve spring?... valve clicken in the head? Hope not.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
when you had the cover off did you manually try to pull the belt around or turn the clutches, to make sure you didn't hear the clunking in there???

I started it with the cover of and nothing,pretty confusing.
catmando!

Top Bottom